Those old Wright reciprocating saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickIreland

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was at the cabin over the weekend, where we have a pile of old 50's and 60's editions of Popular Mechanics. There was an advert for the Wright saw - $182 in 1958. Cash on delivery.
Jesus, most people wouldn't pay that for one now unless it was in great condition!

I think I paid $25 for mine. I've gone through it, but it still needs a new reed block and reeds.

686949130_eD4rT-M.jpg

686948876_ZbSQi-M.jpg

Is the reed block bad? Otherwise you could probably get Jay Smith to cut you a set of reeds for cheap? Outboard man, think he trades as Jay Smith Racing Engines. If not I can get you his details, he's in the US...

I wonder how many wanted their money back after running one ?
:monkey: No speed demon, and Im not sure if a cross cut wouldnt have been easier.

But they look awesome!

I've go two of the old Wright's.

Do they still make blades for them, or would one have to find good, used ones? Also, I remember seeing a regular Wright chainsaw on eBay and was wondering if the reciprocating blade can be taken off and can be modded to a regular chainsaw? :confused:

I took one in on trade years ago and there was 5 new blades with it still in the wrapers. Don't forget those saws were made for more than cutting wood. Some were used in slaughter houses for cutting large chunks of meat...Bob

One of my friends said that they used one years ago. He still has a blade. He said that the blades would break where they mount to the saw. They got rid of it because it was slow! I told him it was named wrong. It should have been named the "Wrong" saw!

This one was free. 45 years in a shed, fuel line and away she goes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Took me a while to figure out the trigger set up. Live and learn.

:cheers:

Got an old buddy who gyppoed with one when he was first starting out. Tough way to make a go of things..... - Sam

I've go two of the old Wright's.

Do they still make blades for them, or would one have to find good, used ones? Also, I remember seeing a regular Wright chainsaw on eBay and was wondering if the reciprocating blade can be taken off and can be modded to a regular chainsaw? :confused:

No, blades are no longer made for them, NOS or good old ones at least for now.
No the recip saws cannot be made into chainsaws, blade is connected to the crank on some and on a bell crank on other models. There is not enough of a crank stup to mount a clutch on them.
Pioneerguy600

You have to keep in mind that that reciprocating blade is not moving very far so it does not clear the chips when you are cutting. You have to work the saw a bit by rocking it in the cut, or moving it back and forth enough to push the chips out. They are not fast, but they do have some capabilities that most chain saws could not match.

The meat cutting blades must have been popular as a lot of folks remember using it for field dressing deer or do-it-yourself butchering of hogs & cattle.

I remember as a very young boy watching my dad use his to trim the end of the rafters on the garage addition he built. He told me he cut a lot of firewood with that saw as well.

Later in life I found one for $51 plus shipping. The only problem it had when I got it was the air filter was so plugged it would not run. The trigger thing is a bit of a trick, push it to the left when releasing the throttle and it will continue to run, simply let go and it shuts the engine off. There is no clutch so the blade is moving whenever the saw it running. I doubt there is any practical way to convert one to a direct drive chain as there is no shaft sticking out on the "PTO" side. The blade itself connects to a sort of balance piston that is in turn connected to the crankshaft. If I remember, my GS5020A is 115cc.

Mark

attachment.php

wright saw

I got mine for $ 50.00 with the orignal manual and 3 extra blades. I started it up and tried to cut a couple of pieces of wood with it but found it much easier with a normal chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back