thoughts and expieriences on chinese engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

origionalrebel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this should get some tongues wagging. are they any good? do they last? starting ? all i know qabout em is they're half the price of a honda.

Last edited by a moderator:
this should get some tongues wagging. are they any good? do they last? starting ? all i know qabout em is they're half the price of a honda.

My splitter came with a Honda GX390 13hp clone- the original would have ignition problems when it got hot. Warranty on the splitter got me a replacement that's been fine. That said I think it is noisier and vibrates more that the real honda. It has been a good starter. Will it last is still a question.

Put a 6.5hp HF Chonda motor on my splitter, other then a mouse chewing the kill switch wire and grounding it out, no problems plus for less then a hundred bucks with coupons you cant beat it!

Consensus both here and the farm forum I visit is that they're generally pretty solid, and if one does fail, it's still cheaper to throw a new one on than it would have been to put a Honda on it in the first place.

I'm not big on China stuff, but if I needed a motor, I'd be doing myself a disservice by not at least considering one.

I put a 5.5hp predator vertical engine on a mower that pretty much only gets used mowing a steep bank. I was lucky to get a season out of a briggs or tecumseh engine. Usually about halfway through the summer the engines start using quite a bit of oil and smoking real bad since they dont get oiled correctly on the steep bank. I am two years into the predator with no issues so far. It also seems to have more power than the engines it replaced. If I run it at full throttle I get covered in grass. This never happened with the old engines. I attribute the longevity to the cast iron sleeve vs the aluminum bore in the "better" engines.

I also have a greyhound 6.5hp on a troybilt tiller. It is unstoppable. It was cheaper to buy the chonda engine than buy a carburetor and air filter housing that was broken on the briggs.

Bang for the buck wise I don't think you can do much better. I'm not saying they are as good as the GC series honda engines, but they are better than their price suggests. If you need to rely on an engine day in and day out it may be worth the coin to spring for the Honda. Otherwise for intermittent use I don't think you can go wrong with the clones. I have one "in stock" just in case the engine on my 22T Huskee splitter takes a ####.

When Harbor Freight was switching from the "greyhound" to the "predator" label on the engines I bought 2 6.5hp engines for $45 if I recall correctly. I also bought a 14hp engine with electric start for $110. I'm not sure what I'll use them for but I have them. I think the air filtration on the greyhounds was a bit better than on the new predators. At that price I just couldn't pass them up. I'm sure a project will present itself sometime.

Last edited:
I own quite a few of them 6.5 to 13 and find them to be at least as reliable as any others around the place. Just like the Hondas they cloned they like fresh spark plugs and like everything else todays garbage fuels will cause troubles if left to sit. I have had a bad one out of the box, took it back and got handed another one no problem. My lone beef with the current crop is when they changed to the black Predator engines the air cleaner elements were cheapened up a lot. Never pay list price! if you dont have a coupon search the web for one. 6.5HP just went off sale to anyone for $99. I have paid as little as $80 with coupon.

I don't understand why everyone who complains about everything not being made in the USA, would go out and buy a Chinese made Honda clone, but wouldn't touch a Chinese made Stihl clone at any price. Go figure.

I don't understand why everyone who complains about everything not being made in the USA, would go out and buy a Chinese made Honda clone, but wouldn't touch a Chinese made Stihl clone at any price. Go figure.

Different use. 4 strokes are certainly more forgiving design wise than 2 strokes.

I have a Chinese made engine on my snow blower (Ariens 22' with LCT 208cc motor) and it's been a reasonable engine and hasn't given me problems. Given the chance to buy again I would have likely spend the extra $100 for the 24" blower with a Briggs though.

Last edited:
JMO

I think you should buy whatever you like but if your son or daughter can't get work then when you point at the problem get a mirror.
Me i try to buy Canadian first, then NA.
Sure i might spend a bit more for a real warranty and engine but do you really think Chonda cares who is working in Canada or USA?
And when the Briggs company folds and Chonda is the only one left do you think they will still be cheap to buy?

In my experience with Chinese equipment it's all been short lived cheap junk.
Your experience may differ than mine though.

Throw it away and replace because it's cheap is why the dumps overflow and the world is becoming a polluted planet.

Last edited:
The only thing I did on my 6.5 greyhound was take off the black air cleaner cover, which will expose the actual air filter. The black cover vibrates and rattles around and drive me nuts when I'm splitting wood. If I were using it in dusty conditions I wouldnt remove the cover. But since the splitter is stationary and the ground it normally frozen while splitting, dust isnt a issue. The greyhound replaced a honda gc which was a decent motor and good on gas. But after only 2 seasons it rattled so much to the point of wearing out the governor rod, spring, etc. I sold that engine to a go kart guy who was taking off the governor anyway, for more than I paid for the greyhound. The greyhound or Lifan engine seems much better than the GC line of honda.

I just replaced a Honda GX - 120 on my firewood elevator. It had 2000 hours on it. It lived outside for 7 years and rarely gave me any problems. 2 or 3 pulls even on a cold day like today. It didnt seize up or stop working - some idiot (me) crushed it by accident with a skidsteer. I replaced it with a brand new Honda. Can't say I know anyone that works for Chonda but I know a few that make Honda cars here in Ontario.

I've got the original Tecumseh HM-100 that was put on my old splitter when it was built. Split 20+ cords on it last year. Yea, it starting to burn a little oil, and doesn't run as smooth as it used to, even after a carb rebuild. I'm rounding up an old Kohler to replace it if/when it finally expires.

I got GX-160 Honda's on Pressure washer, Stone Plate Compactor, Walk Behind Trowel, Generator and Trash Pump the two older pieces were made in Japan, (at one time here, not acceptable). Now it would be par for the course, except, the other three GX-160 5.5 HP and the little GX-35 on my Allen magic screed are all made in Thailand. If I wanted something from there, I woulda bought it when I lived there. Now you don't have a choice.

I figure I can rebuild a 12 horse Kohler for less than the price of a 420cc Predator, and it'll still be running long after the predator has gone to recycle.

Mac, there are some lines in the sand that just can't be crossed! :laugh:

Mac, I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, but here's why I said what I did: If I need to depend on a motor, I'll do my best to buy a good quality motor. If it's something I just use once in a while, and it is just an inconvenience if it doesn't run, it doesn't make sense to me to tie up hundreds of dollars more in something that's just gonna sit around mostly.

I should be the biggest flag waver on here, my job depends entirely on people buying things with nameplates like John Deere, Kenworth, Toro, Cummins and a few others. (Business is good right now BTW) The hard fact is, there's only so much money to go around, and sometimes you have to compromise.

BTW, the chinese Stihl/Husky copies just don't have the reliability (yet) to even come close to comparing them with the Honda clone 4 strokes.

TOTALLY OT RANT: Spell checker just tried to tell me that Kenworth, Toro, and Cummins were all misspelled. Even had the nerve to suggest the dreaded "Cummings"! Stupid computers...

Mac, I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, but here's why I said what I did: If I need to depend on a motor, I'll do my best to buy a good quality motor. If it's something I just use once in a while, and it is just an inconvenience if it doesn't run, it doesn't make sense to me to tie up hundreds of dollars more in something that's just gonna sit around mostly.

I have no problem with that logic. I would probably be inclined to purchase a used American made engine for "once in a while applications". But that's just me.

The hard fact is, there's only so much money to go around, and sometimes you have to compromise.

I know all about THAT issue. That's why I have and use a lot of "antique" equipment.

BTW, the chinese Stihl/Husky copies just don't have the reliability (yet) to even come close to comparing them with the Honda clone 4 strokes.

Probably not. Mostly I'm just taken by the irony of "I hate buying stuff made in China" and "I really like those Chinese made engines" coming out of the same mouths.

TOTALLY OT RANT: Spell checker just tried to tell me that Kenworth, Toro, and Cummins were all misspelled. Even had the nerve to suggest the dreaded "Cummings"! Stupid computers...

Gotcha on that. I just add words (names, usually) to the dictionary. No more flagged misspellings. The problem isn't in the computer, it's the folks that write the programs that cause most of our headaches. :msp_angry:

I hate my lifan motor on my woodsplitter..it never ran right out of the box..only way it runs half decent is with the chocke half on..doesn seem to be balanced well either..i am gonna switch it to a desil when i get some money...worst money i even spent.....howver i may have just got a bad one

Latest posts

Back