thoughts on new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking 20" and especially 28" bars. I've not run the 75cc 372, I would think it should run with the 460 due to the increased displacement. Every 372 I've run is short on grunt. It's a different powerband than Stihl for sure and you have to use such a light touch with a long bar.

Depends on how you cut, I believe the 372xp makes comparatively more power above max hp rpms - and that is the most important rpm range for most users.......

Depends on how you cut, I believe the 372xp makes comparatively more power above max hp rpms - and that is the most important rpm range for most users.......

Above max hp rpm? If you are operating above that then you aren't cutting fast. You either need a more aggressive chain or more feed pressure.

Let the games begin.....

I'm not trying to start something with Troll at all.:monkey:

If your saw is cutting above max hp rpm then it isn't loaded sufficiently. I can run my rakers real high and the saw will cut at 14k, but slow as hell. Now if I file the rakers and run it again it cuts at 10k and much faster. Or if I just let the weight of the saw only do the cutting then it will run more rpm while cutting slower than feeding it through with a small amount of pressure.

???

If you are looking for a step up from your 361...

I agree you'll be disappointed in the 372 as it will be quite similar in power to your current saw with a cheaper feel.

Could not be further from the truth

I own both 372 and 361 and do not agree with the above. For sure husky does not feel cheap. The 372 is smooth, sounds better, cuts quicker and has quite a bit more torque than the 361 but is a little heavier. I notice a difference between these two saws and my 361 is muffler modded. The air filtration system on the 372 beats the one on 361 hands down (441 probably similar to 372 in that reguard but 372 is a pound lighter.) Can't say how 441 cuts, but I know how it looks and feels in the hand. I went with the 372 in this same position, after narrowing it (fairly quickly) to between the 460 and 372.

going to handle them all 1 more time the 372 seems lighter than the 441 and 460.I thik the 441 is out 30 more bucks and i can buy the 460 with the same weight as the 460 so it's between the 372 and 460 i'm just cutting firewood so either one is plenty big enough.

If you ment to type 441 there then my thoughts exactly. Except I wouldn't sell my 361 ever!

Last edited:
Home of a lot of tuition money, and now employer of the "boss". Almost football season, got to get everything split and stacked so I can enjoy the games.

Purple pride!

Cool! I used to live there.I live North of Salina a little bit, near Bennington. Im working on Ft. Riley now, was doing the 6th St widening job in Junction City. My company is doing the Marlatt job there in manhattan as well as the Miller Ranch and Prairie Lakes on the west side of town.

Don't know which to choose

I am not very framilliar with any of those saws, but I think that the guys who are pushing the 7900 might be on to something. I just got my used Makita 6401 today from an ebay auction. I put a new bar and chain on it and fired it up. I cut up some dead dry red elm, and was VERY impressed. My intention was to order the BB kit right away, but now I think I will wait a while and use this as is. At 13.9 pounds it really cuts, can't wait to see what it does at 80ccs. JR

another 2 cents worth

Just a thought, but unless you got your heart set on new ya might pm Stihl 441 on the used one he has for sale. I have never bought as saw from a member of AS, but all of the comments that I have read are very positive, and I don't know Stihl 441 from Adams off Ox, but I'd be willing to bet that he'd treat ya well on the used saw. JR

yes I would.It is in excellent shape.Just on its 3 rd gallon of gas.

the reason i;m would sell is Id just like a non epa saw.Id just like something to tinker on and modify some

Another vote for the 441.
I cut lots of red oak, white oak and hickory with mine.
20" bar is all I run on it and it gets through some real thick trunks with ease. In a cut, I can feel that there is a lot more power available if I needed to push it.
I love my 441, cuts great, cuts very smoothly with little vibration for a 70cc saw.
It does burn less gas than some other saws, although it's not like comparing a 15 mpg car to a 30 mpg car.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 441 if the need arises.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread kind of got nasty for a bit...

I haven't run a 372xpw but I have run an older 372xp. If you are used to the torque band on the stihls the 372 is a bit different. My experience is that it had a real tendency to bog. I suspect someone who uses one all the time could get one to really scream.

All the saws mentioned are at the top of the food chain. I've got 'em all except the Husky's and I wouldn't be opposed to picking one of them up if I got one at the right price.

I agree that if you can find a nice used one like the 441 mentioned, you'll not only put a smile on your face but have a few dead presidents in your pocket.

There are a few of us on this site that have a bad case of CAD and the resources to try a few of them. There are others that have purchased one or the other and feel that the only way they can justify their purchase is to tell everyone how bad the competition is without having run one.

I remember an old proverb stating that you need to walk in another's shoes before you judge. A quick shake in the store and a look at the stats on a website doesn't make one an expert on that saw.

I really wish Sawtroll lived a wee bit closer and had something better than pecker poles to cut, and I'd loan him my 441 for a week. It might make a believer out of him yet. A 460 it doesn't make, but it is one smooth saw and a real pleasure to run.

Last edited:
Hurt?

There are a few of us on this site that have a bad case of CAD and the resources to try a few of them. There are others that have purchased one or the other and feel that the only way they can justify their purchase is to tell everyone how bad the competition is without having run one.

I remember an old proverb stating that you need to walk in another's shoes before you judge. A quick shake in the store and a look at the stats on a website doesn't make one an expert on that saw.

I did not offer any opinion on "your saw" other than how it looked and felt in the store. I clearly stated that I had not run one and therefore was not qualified to make any assessment in that regard. Micah further stated that he thought the 441 was heavy in relation to the 372 and underpowered in relation to saws of similar weight ("A 460 it doesn't make"). I agreed. I relegated myself to talking about what I have run and do know at least some about. I only felt obligated to let it be know that the 372 does not feel "cheap" compared to Stihl saws in my opinion. An opinion of descent is precisely that, an opinion. But apparently Big Neb's the only person qualified to assess and state an opinion on the differences between a 361 and 372. I will politely retract mine in order that he may justify his.

Stihl 460 or 440 if you can find one...............you won't be disappointed! I just picked up my second 440 and would love to get a 460 as well. They just seem to keep running, like a diesel pickup compared to a gasser.

STIHL:deadhorse: husky

Gonig tommorrow to buy a new saw i had a 361 and would like something a little bigger i have narrowed it done to 3.
husky 372xp 769.00
stihl 441 769.00
stihl 460 799.00 any thought on any of these would be great..

460, it a logical jump from the 361 in capability. There are lots of aftermarket and used parts available if something bad happens and you can gets parts for both saws from the same dealer. Good prov-en saw with a strong reputation for reliability. I like mine a lot, certainly prefer it to my 2171 for performance and feel. If the price difference is only $30.00 I would not hesitate to buy the 460 over the 372xp. Good luck and have safe fun with your new saw.

Back