Tillotson hs anatomy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeRoze

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
SO, I started tearing down and rebuilding (several) HS carbs. Since they were rat-ugly, and I wanted to make sure they were clean I began exploring the internal ports. Then, I pulled the specs from Tillotson and tried to match the diagrams with my actual photos...

I hope this helps others. Let me know if I messed something up and I'll correct for all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesome. How'd you get those pressed in dammits out?

I labled the jet as being pressed in, but was just screwed in and I used a flat blade.

The filter I just used a small arbor press I picked up from harbor freight. I used one of those bits that go into those bit driver handles that seem to come included with every drill bit purchase I make. I used a properly sized (my best guess) square bit. The filter pushes through to the venturi. Pressing it back in was a bit more tedious as it didn't want to line itself back up; lots of bumping with the press. --- a bit of round stock would have been a better choice for the press adapter, but I didn't have any laying around. A bolt or large pin would have worked too. Don't tell anyone I'm an engineer becuase I was rigging the crap out of this.

Getting the welsh plug out -- I copied the tillotson video and used a small straight pick and a small hammer to punch a hole in it, at an angle to keep the tool from going in deeply. It pried right out. The rebuild kit is advertised to have a replacement in it.

The carb in the first pics is an 'extra' --- the needles are shot and there was a lot of trash in it. It is salvageable with new needles, but it was the safest one to experiment on with the pressed in pieces since I wasn't planning on using it again anyhow. Turned out I didn't damage it and now know how to disassemble.

I took a couple of pics of the jet and filter - I'll try to put them up too later this week.

Last edited:
Please - you all have been most helpful to me so take, use, and distribute the pics as you wish. Feel free to copy and use them.

The ID at the bottom of the pics isn't meant for you personally at all, but rather that other person. I stuck my HeRoze handle there to discourage the lazy theif from taking the material as their own. Of course a theif will steal what they want and all we normal people can do is make it a little more inconvenient.

And you cleaned that? :bowdown:

chem-dipped, boiled in water, blew out with air, soaked in ethanol free gas. all four of the bodies are fine. picking the best of the piles I got two serviceable with rebuild kits.

I need the o-rings for the H/L needles... They measure at 1x3.5 mm... viton I assume. anyone got a decent source that won't screw me on the shipping?

had four of them that started more or less like this one...
attachment.php

Where are you getting these carbys from anyhow? I wouldn't get any more from that source... they're contaminated and contain unhealthy levels of gunk... you must send them all my way at once, including the rebuilt ones. They're very hazardous to your wellbeing and overall health. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Where are you getting these carbys from anyhow? I wouldn't get any more from that source... they're contaminated and contain unhealthy levels of gunk... you must send them all my way at once, including the rebuilt ones. They're very hazardous to your wellbeing and overall health. :hmm3grin2orange:

concrete saws. apparently ran by someone other than the owner. two of the pistons (of the 5) were seized. when I broke one of them lose water poured out of the crankcase. awesome.

if you want one of the two non-rebuilt carbs, PM me. the body on the one I wouldn't be ashamed to send has no issues, IMO. it needs a few parts, and it looks like Jack's has them.

Back