Timber wolf 5 or a super split type spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Iam asking this question for future consideration that I don't think i'll be wanting to lift logs on to the splitter when Iam older like 60 0r 70's, God willing.I like the super split type splitter alot but no lift.The timber wolf or one like has a lift.I suppose I could build a deck the same height as the super split type splitter.Just unload piece;s that need split on to that deck.Or build a hyd. table lift to lift the piece's up.Just looking ahead ,Iam only 41yrs old.My back is fine right now.Thanks ahead of time.

Pete

If money is not an issue, the Timberwolf products are great. Period... That's why the pro's use them. I'm not knocking the super split though. There are guys on the site that wouldn't trade them for anything.

If money is not an issue, the Timberwolf products are great. Period... That's why the pro's use them. I'm not knocking the super split though. There are guys on the site that wouldn't trade them for anything.

Not sure how many cords it take to make it to the "Pros", but I do like my SS a whole lot...:msp_lol: As for backs and bending, it just seems to me that with firewod, at some point you have to bend over. If you get older and it bothers you, I would perhaps got after smaller rounds that are easier to handle, or spend more time noodling to get them to a manageable size. Personally, I don't plan on getting old.. ;)

Last edited:
splitter

i cant say much for ss i did not use one but ill tell you my tw6 wil keep 3 guys very busy 4 way 6way put the log in its done the ss you need to keep pulling it back to split it again just my 2 cents both very good splitters

my friend uses a tw5 with conveyor at his mill.. he loves it....keeps all three of them busy... he runs it about eight hours a day three days a week...

I've had my Super Splitter for 6 months now and have more wood put up than
I've had in 30+ years of wood burning. Have loaded up my folks wood shed also.

I actually feel guilty sometimes while running the thing. Because I'm
supposed to be working, but the dang thing is so much fun to operate. Really!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Not sure how many cords it take to make it to the "Pros", but I do like my SS a whole lot...:msp_lol: As for backs and bending, it just seems to me that with firewod, at some point you have to bend over. If you get older and it bothers you, I would perhaps got after smaller rounds that are easier to handle, or spend more time noodling to get them to a manageable size. Personally, I don't plan on getting old.. ;)

Good question Guns... Don't know for sure how to answer that one... But I am sure that I am not one!:hmm3grin2orange: And I don't like the idea of getting old either!!!:laugh:

I cant say much for the SS but can tell you that anything that has been on the tw5 it has been split. And it does not matter about which way it goes though it with the grain or cross the grain that thing is bad you know the rest. I will say that if you want to save your back the tw is the way to go no lifting just get it to the lift. And I would say that you will need something on the end of it to catch all the splits that this thing puts out and quick I may say so my self. I know that two guys can do a cord an hour with out breaking a sweet. And that cord an hour is cutting and splitting. Three people with all the peaces split cord in 20 mins. But there is guys on here that swear by the SS wish there was one around my area I could try I would love to. Just to do my own comparison.

$0.02

My reasons for liking the SS is because it's cheap,fast,lightweight,and efficient. Thed SS fits me perfect for the type of wood I split. I split wood for restraunts. They want it no bigger the 2"x3". That is hard to do on a TW even with a box wedge. I also split my homeowner wood small. I cut wood 16" long. So 3 4'x8' stacks make a cord. I have between 950-1000 pieces of wood in my cords. I would have to send a lot of pieces back through a TW with a 4/way or a 6/way to get them to the size I need. Also the SS produces very little waste. The splitting I have seen with a 6 way can produce a lot of waste. If all I split was huge rounds and didn't mind big splits I would consider the TW-5. You can almost always find a used TW-5 or a TW-6 for sale. You almost never see a used SS for sale

Scott

Thanks for all the reply's!!! Leaning toward super split (copy)made here in Ohio.It's $2595.

There was a guy on here awhile back who was having a lot of problems with a
Canadian made copy. No problems with the real deal. Just saying.

I'd at least talk to someone who has bought the Amish copy. See how it's
holding up, etc...

Been trying to find somebody on here but haven't found any body yet that has one.Thanks

Pete

Considering your opening statement and concerns about your mobility a heavy machine like the tw-5 might be more of a pain for you. My -6 cant move unless its hooked to something where as the SS looks like it can be wheeled around pretty handily without the aid of another machine.

Bit heavier than a SS. I can and do move mine around by hand, not bad but it ain't real easy.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, buy the timberwolf TW5FC. There's really no comparing the two. One lifts and splits ANYTHING quickly, with no drama. The other splits fast, but you lift, and there's no such thing as a 4 or 6 way on a SS. Means more work any way you look at it.
If the one you want is 600 pounds, then you'll need a yard tractor or quad to move that too, so no diff there.
The TW5FC (Fast cycle) will have an auto-return valve, making it even faster.
No comparison if the money is no issue.

Latest posts

Back