Timber wolf 5 or a super split type spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND, in the TW vid, the operator certainly didn't know what he was doing and where's the table grate?? The SS had a table...

My TW3HD has pushed EVERY block I've set on it, right through the 4-way...without hesitation!

standard.jpg

I don't have to look the blocks over, read the wood or anything else, just set them on and away they go...

That block that put that SS to shame, I would have split that one in two pushes through my TW and had 10 or more, crotches through mine in the amount of time it took that SS to do one.

I split some tough wood and it all goes right through...

standard.jpg

I scrounged another wagon load today,

standard.jpg

So, the TW will be making short work of another load of oak, again S :) :) N

SR

Rob,
No disrespect meant here and I always enjoy the friendly banter, but I just reread your post and will suggest you should read the wood and should consider grain and types/species with your TW3. I have seen a few more powerful machines bent, broken and abused due to "just shove it through" mentality. its not safe for the machine and or the operator in my opinion. Hydraulics will not overcome Stupidics...nor will inertia or mechanical anythings. Im not calling you out at all just want to make clear for readers here that Nothing is a "just shove it through" tool. And maybe I baby my machines too much but every machine has risk and every operator should do his best to mitigate them.

Safety first, Speed second, Choices third...

I like both... And will not be happy till I own both...
I got the big Hydro with a 4 and 6 way..
Might I add here though... Unless the wood is decent, the 6 way is for show, the 4 way is for GO...
I can 4 way bout anything, but the 6 tends to make a mess...
You cannot pick the big hydro up and move it around by hand, but it does tow nice at hyway speeds.. And has enormous work tables.
In decent wood, it can keep 3 men very busy... Will also hoist a 500 pound round effortlessly with the log lift...
Hell, it'll lift the front of a car!! Would never get rid of it..
Just want both is all...

Rob,
No disrespect meant here and I always enjoy the friendly banter, but I just reread your post and will suggest you should read the wood and should consider grain and types/species with your TW3. I have seen a few more powerful machines bent, broken and abused due to "just shove it through" mentality. its not safe for the machine and or the operator in my opinion. Hydraulics will not overcome Stupidics...nor will inertia or mechanical anythings. Im not calling you out at all just want to make clear for readers here that Nothing is a "just shove it through" tool. And maybe I baby my machines too much but every machine has risk and every operator should do his best to mitigate them.

Safety first, Speed second, Choices third...

Well, it's bought and paid for... lol AND, it does what it does so easy, I see no reason to baby it... At this point, I can see nothing that's being over stressed, bent or not built to last the rest of my life BUT, if something does bend or ?, I will fix it and let you all know what happen... (so far, I haven't even seen anything flex)

The reason I turned up the heat on the SS, is I got tired of SS owners "claiming" they had a splitter that was faster, cheeper, never broke and would split EVERYTHING. Every time someone needed a hose or fitting for their hydro splitter, SS owners would pipe up and say THEY don't need that part! Well, hydro owners don't need to clean/replace bearings on the beam, deal with stuck racks or ever replace a rack or the gear... AND the SS has to be "level" too???

Those of us with splitter experience with both, know that the SS have their own issues and don't do everything, and I decided to put that out there too...because it's the truth and many NEW buyers of splitters don't know those things...

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I don't care what anyone buys, I just like to see a level playing field...

Oooooh, one last thing. My wife loves to run the TW and I feel much better seeing her run a hydro rather than a SS...

standard.jpg

SR

i think if you get mainly big snarly wood the tw5 or 6 is the way to go but if you get a lot of fairly straight grained pole wood the ss would be good

I'll be sure to have the table grate on and conveyor for the next video. Other than having to bend over for the wood when the TW5 was on the return cycle the grate won't buy much or any time on splitting the 3 logs (there was very little time when the cylinder was not moving). It is fair to say the SS needs the table to make those kinds of times. The video was not designed to fail the TW, it was a true comparison on equal size wood. I love my TW5 and my SS but if I had to have one it would be an SS (doesn't matter J model, HD or SE model). My father is in his 70's and he always wants the SS over the TW. He would rather noodle the big rounds with a saw and run them thru the SS than chance dropping a 500 lb log off the lift or 250lb split half on his toe.
I have not seen any good videos of the TW3 but with the constant speed pump it may have a distinct advantage over the TW5 when it comes to speed.

You wasted a lot of time walking around that TW picking up that EASY TO SPLIT wood that a table grate would have caught, and it added more, every time the ram stopped, when moving forward.

How about you run that test again, only this time run tough crotch wood through the machines?

The above vid gives the SS every advantage possible, now lets have a vid giving the TW a few advantages...

SR

You wasted a lot of time walking around that TW picking up that EASY TO SPLIT wood that a table grate would have caught, and it added more, every time the ram stopped, when moving forward.

How about you run that test again, only this time run tough crotch wood through the machines?

The above vid gives the SS every advantage possible, now lets have a vid giving the TW a few advantages...

SR
the man owns both..
why don't you accept his opinion ??

the man owns both..

Who said I don't accept his opinion?

My comments are about the vid he posted, there's no denying my comments on "that" as anyone can see for themselves that I speak the truth.

SR

Other than having to bend over for the wood when the TW5 was on the return cycle the grate won't buy much or any time on splitting the 3 logs (there was very little time when the cylinder was not moving). It is fair to say the SS needs the table to make those kinds of times. The video was not designed to fail the TW, it was a true comparison on equal size wood.
a true comparison would have had tables on both machines...you didn't have to walk around the machine or pick up splits off the ground with the SS, but had to do both with the TW...apples to oranges

One point about the SS Vs TW argument is that the TW is more effective in OWB wood, where as long as its smashed to smaller pieces its fine. Nobody looks at the wood.
for bundled wood or any customer needing/wanting stack able, presentable ( read OCD) the SS is clearly superior.

Again both have their place and both do well but neither does everything best. One can cut like a knife, one cuts like a hammer. Many times a hammer will do.
20141224_101715_zps5vbrzfh6.jpg

One point about the SS Vs TW argument is that the TW is more effective in OWB wood, where as long as its smashed to smaller pieces its fine. Nobody looks at the wood.
for bundled wood or any customer needing/wanting stack able, presentable ( read OCD) the SS is clearly superior.

Again both have their place and both do well but neither does everything best. One can cut like a knife, one cuts like a hammer. Many times a hammer will do.
20141224_101715_zps5vbrzfh6.jpg
Good stuff! I'm not selling wood, but I feed 3 small wood stoves and a large smoke dragon in the shop. I need to produce a lot of small splits for the small stoves. Guess that's why I like the SS so much. Big uglies go to the shop stove...

the man owns both..

I've run every splitter in the TW line.

I own a hand full of hydraulic splitters and flywheel splitters and have used and built many more.

None of that experience will change the mind of a guy that owns the best of everything and knows the best way to do everything.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

Back