tired old Homies need repair or replacing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwhacker

Reaction score
I've got 2 old Homelite saws that are worn out - repair shop says crank seals are gone and aren't worth repairing. I've spent more than $100.00 on parts recently - sprocket, bar, chain, carb kit, gas lines (complete), bolts and $50.00 labor. They both leak chain oil - especially the VI200. Thinking it's time to give in and replace the saws.

Old Homelites: XL12 & VI200

The VI200 was rebuilt in the 70's by my Dad who got 5 saws from a logger and built/rebuilt 3 from the lot. Seems to be an odd unit as it's not listed anywhere. I did get photocopies of the Homelite parts list from a shop that identified it as VI200.

looking at these new saws all with 18" bars in Canadian $:
from local dealers

Stihl MS 270 $430.00
Stihl MS 260 $550.00

Husqvarna 55 $475.00
Husqvarna 353 $570.00

Echo CS-440 $450.00 promo with case, spare chain, gas can, 1l mix 5yr. warranty

All comments appreciated on which new saw to choose. I cut ~ 4 full cords/year as wood is our primary heat. Mostly birch, with some poplar, pine, moose maple and black ash. I want to keep/use the saw for 20+ years.
Are the Homelite's scrap metal ... or is there someone that could use them for parts?

Thanks, Ross

Last edited:
word of advice if you are letting them old Homelites go give them to someone who will use them not the trash can like most folks do that irritates me when they wind up in the tc can and be sure you check where the new saws are made at make sure they are made in USA or Canada

thanks
just my 2 cents worth
calvin

besides if they cant find the crank seals i have good news i carry them

Last edited:
Stay away from the Echo CS-440. IMSAO that is a dud. Why pay 450.00 for that when you can buy a new Dolmar 5100S for 350.00+B/C

I've never even seen a VI-200 before. Make a nice little brother to my 955's and 922. Pest will give it a good home, though.

Was the VI200 purchased in Canada?

Some homely-lite saws for Canada had separate model numbers from their Yankee counterparts. That one looks like the inner guts are the Super-EZ with an anti-vibe system. The saw would be an interesting collectors item for chainsaw nuts, and parts are still around. Yours isn't in bad shape, so don't just give it away.

My favorite in your list would be the venerable Husky 55; a good all-purpose saw designed for the weekend warrior like yourself. The downside is that the saw has been dropped from production and replaced with a new (read cheaper to make) model, but there have been oodles of them sold and parts should be available for a very long time.

2nd choice is the Stihl 260; one of the mostly highly considered saws in the 3-cubic-inch class, and Stihl generally has a great dealer network.

Spendy though.

word of advice if you are letting them old Homelites go give them to someone who will use them not the trash can like most folks do that irritates me when they wind up in the tc can and be sure you check where the new saws are made at make sure they are made in USA or Canada

thanks
just my 2 cents worth
calvin

besides if they cant find the crank seals i have good news i carry them

+1, Good advice

A VI200 is the Canadian version of a VI123. They're both 3.5 cu. in. saws. About the only difference is the anti-vibe on the rear handle is a bit different. I have one of each. They're not bad saws, but the anti-vibe system is a bit wierd and good luck finding new rubber parts for the anti-vibe.

Dan

Calvin !

There you are, all the guys on the homey site are wondering where u got off to. At least me and rbw anyway....good to no ur still kickin:) btw any luck on findin those parts we talked about?

Back