To Fell or Not to Fell....UNASSISTED??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect sir! No valadation desired, not a beer drinker and open to sound council and advice...stop trying to ruin my life!:chatter:

Okay, I got it now. You're not really asking for advice. This is another "validate what I've already decided to do, hold my beer, and watch this" post. Right?

This thread is a bit confusing to me...I get the first 3 photos...Can't quite make out exactly what's going on in the 4th one. Is the hung tree the hackberry you're talking about, or is it leaning up against the hackberry? Either way...not really a safe situation, especially for someone who's not experienced in felling.

You gotta get your feet wet, but you might wanna start in the creek, not a flooded river...Some things are better left for more experience and necessary equipment to handle.

I was gonna say that you should definitely bring your friend along and have him help you out/guide you through the felling, but then I saw repeated mention of scaffolding? to top the tree?

Like I said, I'm a bit confused here...

Incorrect sir! No valadation desired, not a beer drinker and open to sound council and advice...stop trying to ruin my life!:chatter:

No problem. Good luck.

You gotta get your feet wet, but you might wanna start in the creek, not a flooded river...Some things are better left for more experience and necessary equipment to handle.

That's what I was tryin' to tell him. Good luck Reg. :popcorn:

Arrrggghh...Mac not you too!!! :wink2:

I'm passing on the whole thing fellers...I done seen the LIGHT!:highfive:

I'm kinda a real good looking ole boy...not trying to be a good looking corpse...

It ain't worth...especially with all this "downed Hedge" at me finger tips!:msp_biggrin:QUOTE=Mac88;4048942]That's what I was tryin' to tell him. Good luck Reg. :popcorn:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
That's what I was tryin' to tell him. Good luck Reg. :popcorn:

View attachment 270576

I guess it was the "scaffolding" remark that threw me. I've seen scaffolding used, kinda like these old timers in the picture, and I've used it myself in similar situations. Also been on a spring board a time or two.

But using scaffolding, especially high rise scaffolding, to top a tree? That's a new one on me.
I'm just going to assume the role of spectator here and watch the fun.

Can you at least explain what's goin on with that hung up tree and its relation to the hackberry you want to fell? You're asking for advice and I haven't seen any real clarity on that part yet in this thread....maybe I missed it, though :confused:

I am not going to say do or dont, but I will say think about every scenario and then some. Because if it goes wrong that tree can ruin your life.:buttkick:

View attachment 270576

I guess it was the "scaffolding" remark that threw me. I've seen scaffolding used, kinda like these old timers in the picture, and I've used it myself in similar situations. Also been on a spring board a time or two.

But using scaffolding, especially high rise scaffolding, to top a tree? That's a new one on me.
I'm just going to assume the role of spectator here and watch the fun.

Let's just hope and pray it is fun. I thought Mac put it pretty straight to him - but as they say "some only hear what they want to hear." Ron

I'm kinda a real good looking ole boy...not trying to be a good looking corpse...

It ain't worth...especially with all this "downed Hedge" at me finger tips!:msp_biggrin:

Thanks, Reg. I think we all feel a lot better.

Arrrggghh...Mac not you too!!! :wink2:

It ain't worth...especially with all this "downed Hedge" at me finger tips!:msp_biggrin:QUOTE=Mac88;4048942]That's what I was tryin' to tell him. Good luck Reg. :popcorn:
[/QUOTE]

Good decision. BTW Gologit isn't out to ruin anybody's life. He's probably saved a few with his questioning and advice. Ron

Good decision. BTW Gologit isn't out to ruin anybody's life. He's probably saved a few with his questioning and advice. Ron[/QUOTE]

^This is some of the most sound advice i have seen so far.

Stick with leaving it be, but if you dont get it on video.

Good call Reg, judging from your pics that tree needs a climber and some of that dropped out or lined off and or some bucket work before it's ready to fell. I wouldn't do it as it is either.

I have a couple huge white oaks I need to get on the ground that have some problem leads in the tops, or at least they have the possibility of being a problem. I'd lay solid 95% odds I can drop them as is without sending my climber up in them, but these two have real consequences if Darwin shows up and that 5% go the wrong way on me.

Again, good call on your part.

Back