To Fell or Not to Fell....UNASSISTED??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrrggghh...Mac not you too!!! :wink2:

I'm passing on the whole thing fellers...I done seen the LIGHT!:highfive:

I'm kinda a real good looking ole boy...not trying to be a good looking corpse...

It ain't worth...especially with all this "downed Hedge" at me finger tips!:msp_biggrin:QUOTE=Mac88;4048942]That's what I was tryin' to tell him. Good luck Reg. :popcorn:
[/QUOTE]

I'd still like some clarification. You have been asked several times to explain that situation in the 4th picture.

If the leaner is the one you were after, it can be done but you would need experience before tacklign it.

If it is a leaner and you are after the one on the right - I wouldn't touch it without a big tractor to pull it down. I would definitely not be going at it with a chainsaw!

Apologies if you explained it later in the thread - I haven't read it all yet.
Harry K

He'll probably pull it off and we'll all end up with egg on our faces. Lets hope so. I hate funerals.

I never go to funerals. Why should I? They aren't coming to mine!:hmm3grin2orange:

Ted

When he gets that one down I have a ton of them in my woods he can come and fell. I am not touching them without some bigger equipment, but heck, he seems to have it down! :msp_scared:

Ok since he really didn't explain pic 4 I'm gonna jump in with what I see.

None of it looks real bad to me.
Just start cuttin on the leaner. If it doesn't finish comin down by itself, pull it with a truck. If you prefer start with truck and wait till it's all down before the saw comes out.
Ok now that leaner is out of the way. Cut the one you want.
With a heavy canopy and such a small tree it'll likely hang up as it falls.
Once hung up finish cutting the base loose. Once it's completely seperated from the base (or 95% seperated) hook on with truck again and pull the trunk out from under. (keep pulling till she's all the way down)

PS. Leave the scaffold at home.

Ok since he really didn't explain pic 4 I'm gonna jump in with what I see.

None of it looks real bad to me.
Just start cuttin on the leaner. If it doesn't finish comin down by itself, pull it with a truck. If you prefer start with truck and wait till it's all down before the saw comes out.
Ok now that leaner is out of the way. Cut the one you want.
With a heavy canopy and such a small tree it'll likely hang up as it falls.
Once hung up finish cutting the base loose. Once it's completely seperated from the base (or 95% seperated) hook on with truck again and pull the trunk out from under. (keep pulling till she's all the way down)

PS. Leave the scaffold at home.

Thats what I was thinking. Doesn't look that bad. Hell, its halfway down already! If I only cut "perfect" trees I would never get enough wood. I did back out of a nasty rotten maple awhile ago though We all have our limits.

Thats what I was thinking. Doesn't look that bad. Hell, its halfway down already! If I only cut "perfect" trees I would never get enough wood. I did back out of a nasty rotten maple awhile ago though We all have our limits.

Yeah, if the leaner is just a hung up tree and it's hanging in the one he wants to take down, it's definitely doable with a saw, truck, and stout rope, you just have to be careful as always.

I wish dynamite was still available. Cut a notch, blast the back cut. :rock:

Tannerite is available... :blob2::popcorn:

I didn't think of that... 3 pounds of tannerite carefully placed where the trees meet, step off a 100 yard shot and bust it with the old -06... When the splinters stop raining, go take care of whats left.... :msp_scared::msp_wink:

really, It may not be a tough job for some, but the way the op started the post and with how much we can see in pictures. It raises questions.

I wouldn't touch a scenario like that without a competent forester on site.

Hung trees scare me. Fear can be a good thing. I'd rather be a live chicken than a dead duck. :)

Don't be run by fear. embrace it, dominate it, and cut the tree, tree's. Then when it's 55 deg out you can have heat.:confused2:

my thoughts exactly. ive cut way bigger trees in way worse hang ups than that. im always watching the tree and never scared to step towards it to get on the safe side instead of trying to out run it. had three saws stuck in one when i was younger and dumber yet and saved all three before the tree came crashing down on the butt end, did a 180 and fell rite where i was standing one second earlier

I'd 'chair just for the noise of it.

We need to get you deep in the woods with one of your old saws and your trusty revolver. We'll let Bob put us spectators in a safe zone. Ron

Oh, your revolver - that is there in case the chair gets you or if it doesn't make enough noise to suit you. ;)

Don't be run by fear. embrace it, dominate it, and cut the tree, tree's. Then when it's 55 deg out you can have heat.:confused2:

my thoughts exactly. ive cut way bigger trees in way worse hang ups than that. im always watching the tree and never scared to step towards it to get on the safe side instead of trying to out run it. had three saws stuck in one when i was younger and dumber yet and saved all three before the tree came crashing down on the butt end, did a 180 and fell rite where i was standing one second earlier

Both of you guys have a lot more experience than Reg. He'll get there, hopefully without getting hurt in the process.

The only bulletin I'll be making is them 2 cords of firewood already sold and the pics I'll post on here that will make some folks green with envy!!:laugh:

But,...on a serious note I think I will let Jo Jo climb up or build the scaffold and knock the top out 1st...he is a pure "Man-Beast" with that freakin McCullough!!!:chainsaw::msp_thumbsup:

Not just "Scaffolding", but high rise Scaffolding...of course he'll be tied off to the tree or the scaffolding...maybe both.
He's the prodigy of some guy named..."RED GREEN"!:hmm3grin2orange:

Incorrect sir! No valadation desired, not a beer drinker and open to sound council and advice...stop trying to ruin my life!:chatter:

Arrrggghh...Mac not you too!!! :wink2:

I'm passing on the whole thing fellers...I done seen the LIGHT!:highfive:

I'm kinda a real good looking ole boy...not trying to be a good looking corpse...

DUDE. Layoff the smiley crackpipe.

I'm more concerned about the OP's buddy who "used to work for a tree service" and was going to set up scaffolding. I'd say this guy hasn't got a clue, and is to be avoided. He probably was paid $5 to pick up small sticks after the tree service was finished with a job.

Having worked with a few people like that before in different kinds of situations, always find a way of testing the knowledge of those who say they know what they're doing, especially on dangerous work.

The knowledge is out there and obtainable. I'd recommend you get a few books, watch lots of videos online, and hang around a few old farts who know what they're doing. It's not rocket science, but there is certainly a science to it all, not to mention a fair bit of strategy and luck!

Nope...I suggest you prtend to be Stevie Wonder...try playing

Hey, not bad...for a fairy! lol:hmm3grin2orange:

I suggest you pretend to be Stevie Wonder when I make post or start threads if the smileys irk ya...last time I checked I'm calling the shots on my of expression or lack thereof...BUBBA!:check:

this here
DUDE. Layoff the smiley crackpipe.

Scaffolding?? I don't even wanna watch that. I suppose that there MAY be a legitimate use for scaffolding on one of those fabled 20 foot diameter old growth monsters out west where the Big Wood grows. Heck, a notch would take quite a while to cut in something that big. Even with yer 090g with the Full Wrap handle and the 10 foot bar. But.....that is the stuff of legends.

The OP is just trying to work up some firewood, not make the cover of West Coast Loggers.

I'd skip the use of ladders and scaffolding altogether, but that's just my opinion. It's a free country (sort of) and you go ahead with whatever floats yer boat. Just please don't make me watch.

Latest posts

Back