to set a rope or not.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys set a rope first on removals? My boss always stressed the importance of throw ball ability. 90% of the time we set are lowering line and climbing lines from the ground. This makes us ready to work immedietly.I met a few guys who dislike this method and would rather spike up and set lines by hand and then come down and start working.

Well now that I am getting old and fat I like to set a line and let my guys haul me up the tree. :D

All jokes aside though, a throw bag can save you a lot of time in a tree. I like to set one when I climb a large tree with big crotches to go around and I have to do extensive work in the canopy. Only trees that I don't set a line in are the smaller ones that I limb on the way up and chunk down.

On pine and other trees with one main trunk I limb on the way up. I rope off the limbs above the ones I am cutting and advance the lowering line ahead of me. In broad canopy trees such as yard oaks it is often easier to put a rope in first.

Guess it all depends on your preference and skill level.

On trees with a significant lean I find it easier to set a rope and hook up while a groundman advances my hitch.

The plus side of climbing all the way up to your TIP is that you can remove any limbs (removal) that may be in your way.

I've seen and done it both ways..........just depends on the tree/situation!!!

Well now that I am getting old and fat I like to set a line and let my guys haul me up the tree. :D

All jokes aside though, a throw bag can save you a lot of time in a tree. I like to set one when I climb a large tree with big crotches to go around and I have to do extensive work in the canopy. Only trees that I don't set a line in are the smaller ones that I limb on the way up and chunk down.

Hey Tree MD, what part of Atlanta do you service?

I agree with you on this one. My groundie is a big ole 270 pound brute that can literally pull me into the tree once my line is set.

For me it depends on where I am wanting to set my TIP / lowering lines. I've gone before and set my lowering line from the ground, while I had to climb in order to get to my TIP. The opposite situation happens just as often. Then there are the ladder trees where I just make my way up rather than fishing the lines back down through branches. Or trees where I flat out can't get a good shot from the ground to hit ANYTHING.

On pine and other trees with one main trunk I limb on the way up. I rope off the limbs above the ones I am cutting and advance the lowering line ahead of me. In broad canopy trees such as yard oaks it is often easier to put a rope in first.
Thats exactly how i do it. However on pines and other evergreens where i start at the bottom i still trie to set a loweringline up prior to climbing. I get annoyed resetting a lowering line every 3 minutes so i trie to get it up there somewhere.

I usually climb up and tie in, a few times I have used a throwing ball. I'd have to say the throwing ball makes it much easier, but I'm new with the TB so sometimes it's just easier for me to climb....although, I got me a 35' hot-stick.....comes in handy, too!

I like to make my rigging plan from the top, after the tree has been brushed out and I can clearly see what I have to work with. It’s nice to get rid of any limbs that can be bombed. Once up there things look different and I find its much easier to set up my rigging from scratch than it is to reset something that is already in place, or even worse to try and work with a set up that is sub-optimal. :laugh: does that mean that I’m getting old?:cry:

I am very particular about block location, also I like to remove the tips of any limb or leader used for rigging when lowering work over about 300 #, and I often like to back stay the block. I’ve had a few TIP’s break out under rigging stress, another reason it is beneficial to climb up and set the lines.

Also the throw ball and line is just another tool that has to be set up, put away, and maintained. That time, however incremental, further reduces the advantage gained from pre-setting your lines.

Perhaps planning from the ground is something I should work on, a way to save some time. But there are enough advantages to climbing first that I really have not taken the time to consider it.

Much quicker for me to just run up the tree and set my tip and blocks.

I work with several climbers who thowbag everything and if they hit their crotch the first time, they will beat me to the first cut. However, if it takes them more than one shot, i will beat them every time. And let's be honest, how many times do you hit your crotch the first time at 60+ feet up, than hit one, or two, or three other crotches for your lowering lines on the first shot?

Last edited:
Much quicker for me to just run up the tree and set my tip and blocks.

I work with several climbers who thowbag everything and if they hit their crotch the first time, they will beat me to the first cut. However, if it takes them more than one shot, i will beat them every time. And let's be honest, how many times do you hit your crotch the first time at 60+ feet up, than hit one, or two, or three other crotches for your lowering lines on the first shot?
Worked with a guy who was super fast on spikes. He used to run up the tree to set his lines and it was faster than a throw line. However on big pruning jobs he was alot slower than me. Seems that he hated throw balls so much that he never aquired a great skill with one. So while i had all my lines set 60 ft up in 5 minutes he would be working his way up the hard way while i had the crew pull me to the top.The same goes for setting up lowering lines in a tree that isnt being removed where you cant use spikes. Not to mention the fact that (for me at least) its alot easier on my knees to have a belay while i spike up. My groundies take alot of weght off of them.

Worked with a guy who was super fast on spikes. He used to run up the tree to set his lines and it was faster than a throw line. However on big pruning jobs he was alot slower than me. Seems that he hated throw balls so much that he never aquired a great skill with one. So while i had all my lines set 60 ft up in 5 minutes he would be working his way up the hard way while i had the crew pull me to the top.The same goes for setting up lowering lines in a tree that isnt being removed where you cant use spikes. Not to mention the fact that (for me at least) its alot easier on my knees to have a belay while i spike up. My groundies take alot of weght off of them.

True-but you originally asked about setting lines in a removal, i wasn't talking about a trim job. I'm not a huge fan of the throwbag myself but it is a tool that i practice with because there are situations where it is needed. I don't have a great skill with one either but that is simply because i haven't had to trim a tree in over six years-nothing but takedowns baby!!:clap:

I'm not asking because i don't know but because i'm curious. How do you set your rigging blocks from the ground?

True-but you originally asked about setting lines in a removal, i wasn't talking about a trim job. I'm not a huge fan of the throwbag myself but it is a tool that i practice with because there are situations where it is needed. I don't have a great skill with one either but that is simply because i haven't had to trim a tree in over six years-nothing but takedowns baby!!:clap:

I'm not asking because i don't know but because i'm curious. How do you set your rigging blocks from the ground?
Well I only use a block 10% of the time to tell you the truth. But theres only one way i know how to set a block from the ground.Set a rope up from the ground connect the block and pull it up. Then tie it off at the bottom.

Well I only use a block 10% of the time to tell you the truth. But theres only one way i know how to set a block from the ground.Set a rope up from the ground connect the block and pull it up. Then tie it off at the bottom.

That's it. Almost all my rigging is done with blocks and there have been times i've had as many as 5 blocks in a tree (rare, but it happens.) How is it feasible to have 11 different ropes coming out of a tree?

That's it. Almost all my rigging is done with blocks and there have been times i've had as many as 5 blocks in a tree (rare, but it happens.) How is it feasible to have 11 different ropes coming out of a tree?
Every body has their methods but 90% of the time I can set a lowering line in 1 good crotch and lower everything i need safely.
I think a block has many uses but I only use them when its necessary. Usualy when lowering something off itself, lifting something up, or changing the direction of a rope when pulling a tree over with a truck and occasisonly when there is no crotch available where I need it.I use natural crotches about 90% of the time and it works for me fine. Ive seen a few guys string a tree like it was christmas though. In my experience its usually not necessary but everyone has there methods.

Every body has their methods but 90% of the time I can set a lowering line in 1 good crotch and lower everything i need safely.

Lol-wish i had more of those little trees. Alot of what i get into are big and spreading. One roping point aint gonna cut it. The first one brings it over the roof, the second one over the pool, and the third one over the fence and onto the lawn.

Ive seen a few guys string a tree like it was christmas though. In my experience its usually not necessary but everyone has there methods.

I don't know-maybe you need more experience or maybe bigger trees? I like several different rigging points-gives me more and better options. Silver maple today-two leads over a house, one over a fence, and three over a garage. Ended up with four different rigging points. Too christmassy?

Lol-wish i had more of those little trees. Alot of what i get into are big and spreading. One roping point aint gonna cut it. The first one brings it over the roof, the second one over the pool, and the third one over the fence and onto the lawn.

I don't know-maybe you need more experience or maybe bigger trees? I like several different rigging points-gives me more and better options. Silver maple today-two leads over a house, one over a fence, and three over a garage. Ended up with four different rigging points. Too christmassy?
More experience, maybe, as for the guy i work under , well he has about 30 years worth specializing in all phases. Especially huge removals and is well respected in my area. In the 6 years ive been with him he has hired alot of chistmasy climbers. None of which could compare to him for . However ive climbed my share of big trees and can say my methods are competitive for being a little more old school than some people may use. The next time you take on a beast be sure to post some GOOD !pics or video. If your as good as you say maybe ill learn a thing or two. Looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back