today's job "step cut 3"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course not, but sharpening the chain really sucks!

Not too bad on a machine Murph

And don't forget......about where you are cutting is where signs, dog runs, clothes lines and other stuff get nailed. After I slam a tree the base always gets cut last because of this.

Just passing it along TV, I am clearly stuck in my day. Murph is showing the symptoms of this high speed world we are in, trying hard to come up with some complicated process to replace things that are simpler and always worked.

I gotta say thats one silly ass, convoluted, contrived and overly intellectualized cuts I've ever seen...I don't know why you're continually showing it off like its the be all and end all of falling cuts.... post the video of you making the cut and boring the #### outta it to show how fast it really is.. then post it on the falling forum...maybe I've been shown how to do things different...but I can't help but shake my head...the step plus the bore, the face cut that seems way to shallow for a stem...the reefing of the pull line... the arrogance and the smug attitude...dunno...maybe its just me... but whatever...

That is just a standard bored backcut/with a low backstrap trip. Granted, you are cutting the backcut extremely low (and well into the diameter of the stump) as to set it all up and truly trip it off with a pull. One man can actually do it this way.

It is a little different and has it's benefits at times. The only time I've used it is when pulling a slight backleaner by myself.

Jak,
I like how you put all that.. for some reason it's easier not to take it personally when you say "maybe its just me"..

I tend to go with shallow faces, when pulling with a line and when the stick is straight etc. Look at the torn hinge fibers after the fall. There's plenty enough there. Only one place to go.. and a deeper notch takes more cutting..

anyhow, the step cut has its uses in suburban situations.. I don't see it giving a logger any advantages.. So it might depend on your perspective..

Boring the back cut is quick and easy enough in most situations. Just takes a bit of getting used to. I like it cause it lets me set the height of the back cut precisely..

So use it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.. and don't let my arrogance effect your judgment.. It's all good!

You have it right Murph, loggers and arborist have different missions, with some overlap. I saw the term "stepcut" and zeroed in, only to see that it was something else, maybe a rename is in order, since that name is taken.
Innovation is tough these days, so many things have been tried, most have been ditched as there was no real advantage, that doesn't mean to quit trying. Specialized cuts have their place, I wrote an article on the stepcut, tracing it's history, usage in modern times, along with bad diagrams and some old pics. It is not a facecut to be used on everything, until you understand the varibles involved, it should be avoided. What most sawyers don't get right away, is that the primary function of the facecut, is how the tree falls, not just where.
I'll go back the where I belong, happy hewing to all.

Randy,
Thanks,
I didn't know there was a face cut called the "step cut".
I originally called this cut the "step back cut" but changed it to just "step cut", as the latter seemed to slide off the tongue better.. I guess I'll have to go back to calling it the "step back cut"..

can you Pm or email me that article???? or share a bit more about the step face cut? Seems like aneedless hassle.. what is it used for?

Thanks..

Daniel, I'll put a link to the short version in a PM. If you think it's worth sharing or if anyone else has questions, maybe I can sketch it in.

It is still in use, I cut 100s of them.

gratuitous photo of stepcut tree.

Redwood977a.jpg

the same tree about to hit the snipe.

Redwood1-2.jpg

the mess

Redwood2-1.jpg

Randy,
Thanks,
I didn't know there was a face cut called the "step cut".
I originally called this cut the "step back cut" but changed it to just "step cut", as the latter seemed to slide off the tongue better.. I guess I'll have to go back to calling it the "step back cut"..

can you Pm or email me that article???? or share a bit more about the step face cut? Seems like aneedless hassle.. what is it used for?

Thanks..

http://deoxy.org/emperors.htm

Are you talking about a block cut? Fundamentals pg 307? couldn't find any reference to step cuts ...

Hey its all logger talk anyhow.. arborists are ahead of the game if they know how to spell the word "hinge"..

OK,
I saw it in the video link... But is that cut really still used today? Maybe the name should be changed to the stair cut, cause it looks more like stairs, where as the step backcut looks just like one step.. Maybe its time to move on..

Back