Today's Loggin' pics in the ice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bar

o..that isn't the original bar on that saw...ive still got the original...it is well worn now..my cannon should be back any time from getting hammered( i sent it to chainbar-i bent it) and it is gonna go on the saw

I forgot it was a powermatch, their paint wears off the first day you log with them. I've noticed that stihl bars take about 2 months of straight logging for the letters to wear off. And about 6 months for them to become polished steel. Powermatches are like that in 3 months or less. But I like powermatch, GB, and stihl bars. That is all I've ran, I have yet to try cannon/woodsman pro. I've had guys tell me that ran them, that the rails chip from being so hard, they wear good though.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Watching you walk up that tree limbing gave me shivers.

My only chainsaw accident, 35 years ago was doing just that, with no PPE when the branches under the tree gave way as I was cutting.

I still have the chainsaw scars on my knee to this day.

Be careful.

does anybody know of anti-fog glasses or a treatment that can be used? i'm planning on getting me a skullbucket and using earplugs

Theres all kinds of skier stuff that may help.I think one of the best that I picked up in oregon years ago was called Cat Cr*p,lill red container of paste stuff,not sure how it would hold up in warm weather,like anything above 40's.
I worked with an ole arborist for a while that used them mesh covered safety glasses with the tight straps,but he was the only one on the crews who used them.
I used the face shield/helmet when I worked with a local util ROW clearing contractor for secondary clearing of mostly brush.They were great for diving head first into thick brush so you could get close to the pesky trunks.Saved countless branches up the ole left snot or worse as your leadin with your mug.
Being a near lifetime wearer of glasses,I can tell you believe it or not that lil brim over your brow will keep the heat/moisture from dissapating faster.But fog be damned,I feel naked without a skid lid,even standing around holding a grade rod.
Years ago when I was still a commercial fisherman fishing a hard fast short halibut opening in the Bering Sea,I got whacked in the head with a 50lb kedge anchor,because of a simple hydraulic valve linkage malfunction.In the blink of an eye I could have been lookin at my brains splilling across the deck,walked away with nothing more than a permanent knot on the head and some blood.Nobody wears hard hats fishing,but the point is that ANYthing can happen at ANY time.A simple H.H is a cheapo insurance policy.
Im always amazed by all the different tree varieties east of the rockies btw,thanks for sharing

ak4195

yea that is one thing that i didn't really realize until this site...around here.in one patch of timber i might cut 20, 30, or even 40 different species of trees. and from some of the pics and info from west of the Rockies the best i can tell is that there aren't near as many species in the timber stands out there.

as for the hardhat..i won't hardly cut w/o one...and ive gotten to the point where i always wear hearing protection. That hardhat in those pics has saved my head several times....it was worth the $45 that i spend on it for sure

gb

id like to try a GB Ti..but for the price of a 24" i can buy a stihl bar($62)

I only paid $54 at my dealer for my GB Titanium 24" for my 385. I swear it is lighter than the 24" stihl bar on my 066. I think if you could try one, you might really like them. This is my first one and I'm glad I tried it, I really like them.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I only paid $54 at my dealer for my GB Titanium 24" for my 385. I swear it is lighter than the 24" stihl bar on my 066. I think if you could try one, you might really like them. This is my first one and I'm glad I tried it, I really like them.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

i really would like to try them..but for a $25 difference between oregon(from baileys shipped to my door)..and a $15 from stihl(picked up at dealer and in hand) i'll stick with what ive got

Gb

YEA!!! i did a google search and Baileys has GB bars now...must be a new thing within the last couple days....i'll be getting one of those!

WOW! I just checked as well, after reading your post, and they are! That's awesome!! Hey, now I have 3 places to get them from,LOL!! Both my dealers stock them as well.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :clap: :)

does anybody know of anti-fog glasses or a treatment that can be used? i'm planning on getting me a skullbucket and using earplugs

Wow. Flat ground still exists somewhere. Skiers use a product called Cat Crap. I've been going to try it but I find it a nice challenge to ski one-eyed or partly blind. For some reason, my right eye side fogs up. I wear the Bugz for cutting. They look rediculous but are comfy and don't fog up or get dirty. And they can also be used to hold the hair out of one's face when not cutting.:) I've seldom seen any of the pro cutters wearing chaps out here. It is as much of a danger to not be able to move quickly as it is to cut one's leg. Only seen chasers wearing chaps. I am running low on the lavender colored ear plugs. K-Mart, where I bought them, was badly flooded in December and is open, but not much available since they are using a big tent for their building. I recommend the pink skull bucket. I've not seen one show up in the woods lately. As for cutting here, right now we are in a slump because of the deep snows and the depressed lumber market. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back