Tongs: Skidding/Lifting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickblaze466

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did some searching, found only one thread and that of marginal value.

I got into a discussion with the old man the other day. I purchased a truck with a boom loader on it, and we both use it, its kept at his house and titled in his name. I digress..

My question is that when i purchased my tongs for moving logs i spent almost 250.00 not including shipping on a set of lifting tongs. i'm not sure where i got them anymore, but almost positive it was from a vendor on this site. he purchased a set of skidding tongs from northern tool for 65 shipped to his door.

comparing the two, the shafts that bend down into the points on his are much longer, at least 1/3 or so longer than the tongs i have. everything else looks pretty much the same. the shaft size for bar stock is very comparable, and there was no mention as to what type of steel was used to make the tongs. the lifting rings look similar, the clevis' that attach the ring to the tongs themselves also look almost identical. i told him what i read on this site about always purchasing lifting tongs and worth the extra money - yada yada - but they look damn near the same to me.

so, my honest question for someone is what makes the price tag on mine almost 5 times higher than the price tag on his; for something that is actually smalller? safety ratings and all that i know - but what actually makes the two tools different from one another?

There is a difference. Lifting tongs are supposed to be tested and certified for lifting certain weights. Skidding tongs vary widely in quality. My 2700 lb. mule team can straighten USA made 3/4" x 16" on a hang up.
If you are loading with them I would stay with the rated lifting tongs and even then you have to always assume the log might drop at any time.

what makes the price difference:

a: quality of steel
b: paying for the design and testing
c: paying the insurance that will pay the lawsuit of one of those things fails and kills sombody
d: all of the above

the answer is B

usually costs like that are spread out so that each end purchaser pays a small portion. however lifting tongs arent that popular an item. so you got to pay a bigger chunk. i would still use the rated ones for lifting. or get a grapple like a prentice, hood, or serco loader.

Back