too many toys not enough money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldirty

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just spent almost 450 on some new gear for the climbing set up and i still feel as if i want more.

i was checking out a couple other climbing set ups people are using and i decided to "borrow" an idea or two. Tom Dunlap's set up to be exact regarding his bridge.

a couple biners, a rope, new handsaw, saw lanyard, some throwline and 2 weights, and a 2n1 flipline. i know i am missing a couple things but WOW does the money add up.

damn it i just realized i forgot a splittail.

anyway if my funds were limitless i think iwould still be picking some more gear out. but hey i cant be mad though this stuff'll help me out in the tree game and thats all that matters. just means that i have to stuff the piggy bank again before i can get some more toys, i mean tools.

oldirty

Streyken

Streyken

ArboristSite Operative
That's what a line of credit is for. :D I always think of it this way, the government is paying for much of my gear, eventually, in tax saving because it's another write-off. At least that's how I justify it to myself, the wife isn't always convinced.

hornett22

hornett22

Addicted to ArboristSite
save the reciepts.

and pull them out the next time some cheap ass asks why so much to do his/her tree work.

i have a 335xpt cali on ebay and some clown named ctharleyrider sent me a message asking me to lower the reserve.i think he should sell his harley if he can't afford a used saw at half the price of a new one.not mention he doesn't know what the reserve even is,LOL

Night Owle

Night Owle

ArboristSite Lurker
Let the customer help pay...

If I have A big enough job , lets saw a 1000.00 or
more , I like to update the gear ie: chains , bars and
maybe some climbing goodies.
This way I don't feel it as much (a little less profit)
but this is how I trick Myself.
Screwwed up I know but it works.

Night Owle.....

oldirty

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
yeah i here that nightowle, letting the customer defray the cost abit.
i havent been doing as much guerrilla work this year as i'd like so the few side jobs i have done i tucked a couple dollars here and there for the splurge i just made.

but it looks like i mightve made a little connect for some steady weekend work for the winter.

that'll be the new flow for the "extras" although i have to put together some money for a new saw or used if its a stud.

never enough it seems. time or money. lol

oldirty

Blinky

Blinky

ArboristSite Operative
My initial gear purchase was just under $800... I had to sell a prized firearm to get the cash. Since then, if I need something else to do a job, I factor most of the cost into my bid.

At this point, after a year of full-time contract climbing I have pretty much everything I need except a GRCS and a new truck... gonna be kinda hard to factor a truck into a tree job.

Learning to splice hollow braid will save you money on split tails and slings and stuff... it's easy too.