too many toys not enough money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i just spent almost 450 on some new gear for the climbing set up and i still feel as if i want more.

i was checking out a couple other climbing set ups people are using and i decided to "borrow" an idea or two. Tom Dunlap's set up to be exact regarding his bridge.

a couple biners, a rope, new handsaw, saw lanyard, some throwline and 2 weights, and a 2n1 flipline. i know i am missing a couple things but WOW does the money add up.

damn it i just realized i forgot a splittail.

anyway if my funds were limitless i think iwould still be picking some more gear out. but hey i cant be mad though this stuff'll help me out in the tree game and thats all that matters. just means that i have to stuff the piggy bank again before i can get some more toys, i mean tools.

oldirty

That's what a line of credit is for. :D I always think of it this way, the government is paying for much of my gear, eventually, in tax saving because it's another write-off. At least that's how I justify it to myself, the wife isn't always convinced.

save the reciepts.

and pull them out the next time some cheap ass asks why so much to do his/her tree work.

i have a 335xpt cali on ebay and some clown named ctharleyrider sent me a message asking me to lower the reserve.i think he should sell his harley if he can't afford a used saw at half the price of a new one.not mention he doesn't know what the reserve even is,LOL

Let the customer help pay...

If I have A big enough job , lets saw a 1000.00 or
more , I like to update the gear ie: chains , bars and
maybe some climbing goodies.
This way I don't feel it as much (a little less profit)
but this is how I trick Myself.
Screwwed up I know but it works.

Night Owle.....

yeah i here that nightowle, letting the customer defray the cost abit.
i havent been doing as much guerrilla work this year as i'd like so the few side jobs i have done i tucked a couple dollars here and there for the splurge i just made.

but it looks like i mightve made a little connect for some steady weekend work for the winter.

that'll be the new flow for the "extras" although i have to put together some money for a new saw or used if its a stud.

never enough it seems. time or money. lol

oldirty

Time , Time , Time....!

This is the one thing I'm always short on

( maybe I need A rethink )

Tierd Owle.........

My initial gear purchase was just under $800... I had to sell a prized firearm to get the cash. Since then, if I need something else to do a job, I factor most of the cost into my bid.

At this point, after a year of full-time contract climbing I have pretty much everything I need except a GRCS and a new truck... gonna be kinda hard to factor a truck into a tree job.

Learning to splice hollow braid will save you money on split tails and slings and stuff... it's easy too.

Back