Took the liner out of my truck bed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no liner in the bed of my Ranger. She shows lots of signs of wear from hauling enough rocks to build a stone fence, junk to haul to the scrap dealer, and many cords of firewood. Not s significant amount of rust, however.

This might owe to it's being unintentionally 'seasoned' a few years back. At an estate sale, all the antiquers were looking about for Shaker baskets and chippendale furniture. I made a bee line to the cellar, saw a pair of 275 gal. oil tanks 80% full. Good deal for $150. Had to vacuum siphon the stuff out into 5 gallon buckets to transport them into 55 gal drums on my truck.

No. 2 heating oil isn't very tasty. But the little bit of overspillage sure does keep the rust down. :cheers:

The way I see it is, it's a truck. I got it to haul crap. I have a rubber mat and that's it. Someday if I ever want to make it look nice again I will have a spray in liner put in. But by then the rest of it will be a worn out scratched up pos and I won't care about the inside of the bed.

I made a bee line to the cellar, saw a pair of 275 gal. oil tanks 80% full. Good deal for $150. Had to vacuum siphon the stuff out into 5 gallon buckets to transport them into 55 gal drums on my truck.

you know you suck--right?? 30 cents a gallon--didnt you feel bad ripping them off ???????????? :):):)

I will never forget my first new truck, a Chevy WT 2WD. It came with a bed liner. They "Armoral" (not sure of the spelling) the liner. Just like ice. I sold the liner. The next year baby two was on the way and so was the truck... I moved up to a used Suburban 2WD...

I skip spending money or either a drop in or spray liner...yeah it was a $40 k truck new 6 years but its a TRUCK. Dent free on the outside, interior near perfect, but dented and scraped to hell in the bed, some peoples jaw drop when they see my bed I dont care that what its for.....this aint no 400 hp grocery getter its for hauling trailers, wood and anything else it can legally pull.

I made a bee line to the cellar, saw a pair of 275 gal. oil tanks 80% full. Good deal for $150. Had to vacuum siphon the stuff out into 5 gallon buckets to transport them into 55 gal drums on my truck.

you know you suck--right?? 30 cents a gallon--didnt you feel bad ripping them off ???????????? :):):)

I'm just a little on the opportunistic side.

If I hadn't bought the oil, the estate would have been $150 the poorer. Win-win.

And I'm flexible. My original offer was $100. :)

Best 35 bucks I ever spent. I've left coffee cups on the back of my truck
and was still there when we got to the job. No need for a tailgate, nothing moves.
0513090619.jpg

Last edited:
Famous last word's. :laugh:

Andy

One time I was at the in-laws. Put my coffee down and misplaced it. Looked and looked. Gave up.

Imagine my surprise finding it on my rear bumper after a 9 mile drive back home. By that point, it was cold. But after all it'd been through, I reckoned the coffee deserved to be drunk down to the bottom of the cup. :)

I use 1/2 cdx plywood - the real stuff:)

Easy to shovel off of and keeps the bed of my Superduty from "forming" to the frame.

Oh yeah, 25 bucks takes me all the way, had the same sheet for 5+ years.

I may be slow but I'm expensive!

Steve

I use 1/2 cdx plywood - the real stuff:)

Easy to shovel off of and keeps the bed of my Superduty from "forming" to the frame.

Oh yeah, 25 bucks takes me all the way, had the same sheet for 5+ years.

I may be slow but I'm expensive!

Steve

We use plywood like that at work. Easy to shovel cold patch or gravel with a flat shovel.:)

Had to vacuum siphon the stuff out into 5 gallon buckets to transport them into 55 gal drums on my truck.
QUOTE]

If you're taking 5 gal buckets up the stairs to 55 gal drums... assuming 450gal. and 10 gal per trip...#2 fuel oil is ~7.2lb/gal so... 72.bs per trip and 45 trips up the stairs...

Holy crap! That's a lot of work!

Best 35 bucks I ever spent. I've left coffee cups on the back of my truck
and was still there when we got to the job. No need for a tailgate, nothing moves.
0513090619.jpg
The rubber bed mat is the best thing going for me I also use the sheet of Plywood thing too. Bed mats give you good traction when pulling a big deer into the back and are Deer do get big! Or two guy's pulling a Elk/Moose from the head and two on the rear lifting and pushing you can get 800lbs of dead wight in the back with no slipping or twisted knee's

I heard they used recycled beer cans to make them trucks.

I'm happy however, to own a truck built by a non bankrupt company,
thats not sponging out of my pocket. Have fun jeeping while there are still a few dealers left.

This Is Ford Country....On A Quiet Night You Can Hear The Chevys Rust

Last edited:
If you're taking 5 gal buckets up the stairs to 55 gal drums... assuming 450gal. and 10 gal per trip...#2 fuel oil is ~7.2lb/gal so... 72.bs per trip and 45 trips up the stairs...

Holy crap! That's a lot of work!

Fortunately, I was able to back the truck right up to the bulkhead. There was a gentle grade from the outside to floor level.

Though part was climbing up on the tailgate after houghing the bucket onto the bed. Not a lot spilled. But enough to make things slippery - and interesting.

That was a couple years ago. Haven't had a score that good since. Gotta keep persistnent.

Latest posts

Back