Tools/skills/advice needed for Stihl 026 rebuild broken crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west041

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought an 026 a year ago to get some plastics and stock muffler to do a muffler mod on. The 026 had a broken crank on the flywheel side and I got it for $70 I think. The P&C look great and it has a near new carburetor on it. Looks like it needs a oil pickup hose that goes from oil reservoir to the clutch side but obviously the main job is replacing that crank and I'm assuming crank seals, and cleaning/decarboning. I've never done something like this before so I'm curious if anyone has any advice or suggestions on tools to purchase, such as a seal puller.

A few other notes:
-Is it worth the $? I have $70 in it so far, so if I'm looking at more than $225 total, then I think I can buy a lightly used 026 for less than that and just keep this one for parts, as I originally bought it for.
- On pulling the flywheel, since the nut is already broken off the end of the crankshaft I'm assuming I can just tap it out with a nail punch on the broken crank while holding flywheel? Obviously want to avoid metal on metal in most situations but this crank is now ruined anyhow.
- I've pulled several clutches so as long as the 026 is reverse threaded like other Stihls, I'm all set there.
- Also wondering if there's anything else I need to look for in terms of collateral damage. I'm assuming it was either heat, physical stress or lack of lubrication that caused the shaft to snap off.
- And whatever else I missed.

More pics to come. Saw is completely in pieces but I have a couple 026s that I can use for reference when reassembling. Progress will be very slow here, I have a young child and another on the way so only working random weeknights on hobby saws.
IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

The clutch is reverse thread.

You can probably find a good assembled case for $50 or less. When you price a crank, you may be better off swapping out the case.

If that's the only place that the crank is broken, it doesn't seem like there would be collateral damage.

Back