tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might get some crap for it, but I buy a lot of cheap tools. I have had good luck with Stanley hand tools from Walmart, Menards, etc. I have some Allen brand tools that I am rather fond of. Its always nice to have a set of decent open end wrenches though, all my "good" tools are usually Craftsmans, the new ratcheting wrenches they have are really cool. I'm far from a professional mechanic, I wrench on saws and small engine stuff and occasionally help someone fix a vehicle, but I don't turn wrenches everyday, far from it. I have a few quality power tools, I love my Milwaukee cordless drill and my Bosch cordless combo, but for less used stuff I buy cheap crap, like sanders that maybe see 2 hours of use a year, why would I want a $200 sander unless I am a serious woodworker.

I'm in the auto industry, and when I started I bought a cheaper set to get me started, slowly over the years I ve been replacing them with Snap-On, yes I have heard bad things about some dealers not giving warranty. And I tell ya, its the dealer not the manufacture that will deny the warranty. We have had a couple dealers like that around here, and well, their not around anymore, cause people wouldn't buy from them, we have always had good dealers on our route to our shop. As for the warranty only replacing the tip of the screwdriver, I really don't care about that, so what if the handle is scratched up, its going to get like that in short order anyway. Their ratchets are by far the best I ve used, I wore out lots of cheaper ratchets, went to Snap-On, and have only broken them a few times. My vote is for Snap-on, just try to find a good dealer. If the dealer gives you a hard time about warranty, maybe contact the area REP and see what's up.

Stanley screwdrivers are good the magnum range do everything i could ask of a screwdriver!
Draper expert is a decent but not over expensive set of tools
The Halfords pro range includes locking extension bars for sockets they are great for long reach when you think you might leave the socket on the fastener

Speaking of tools my new toy, cant wait to use it.:)

P1010110.jpg

Mainly craftsman for wrenches, sockets, ratchets, but my pliers, and other tools are all miss matched jumble of Harbor Freight and hand me downs.

My Snap-on guy is impressed with the harbor freight impact sockets.He said he cannot remember anyone saying anything bad about them.I have 2 sets of each in metric and sae only because one set of each is split up in different tool boxes and the heavy wall 3/4 and 13/16 come in handy for the snowmobile trailer lug nuts.Also have the harbor freight 3/4 inch drive for working on the tractor once in a blue moon.Just cannot justify the price of craftsman for the couple of times a year I may need a big socket.

But most of my stuff is 75% craftsman and 25% SK and snap-on.Specialty screwdrivers all snap-on and meters only fluke.

I wouldn't mind having one of those battery powered impacts. I did buy a new air impact. I got the newest 1/2 drive impact. It cost me 400 bucks but it has a lot of power.

My newest tool was a 3/8 inch pound torque wrench from snap on 40 to 200 inch pounds. Comes in handy.

Well, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't wan't a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt... KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty . I get a kit instead of a warranty!!!

Next week, Sears sale on ALL the tools.......

Me: I want a new craftsman rachect, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO SELL, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't want a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt, KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty!!!

Next week, NATIONAL HARDWARE DAY, Sears’s sale on ALL the tools.......

Me: I want a new craftsman ratchet, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO YOU ME MEAN YOU WILL NOT WARRATY THIS CRAFTMAN TOOL (HOLDING IT HIGH AND YELLING)!!!!!......WHAT IS YOUR WARRANTY WORTH? Many worried buyers scared off….”THIS IS JUST A CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOL, AND YOU DO NOT EVEN STAND BEHIND THAT!!!!!!” ……”WHY WOULD I BUY ONE OF YOUR POS POWEWR TOOLS IF YOU CAN’T WARRANTY A RACHECT?”…………
Him: "Shut up I'm getting you a new one........And I did……FINALLY.....

SEARS... POS like the rest........

Last edited:
Well, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't wan't a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt... KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty . I get a kit instead of a warranty!!!

Next week, NATIONAL HARDWARE DAY, Sears sale on ALL the tools.......

Me: I want a new craftsman rachect, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO SELL, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't want a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt, KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty!!!

Me: I want a new craftsman ratchet, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO YOU ME MEAN YOU WILL NOT WARRATY THIS CRAFTMAN TOOL (HOLDING IT HIGH AND YELLING)!!!!!......WHAT IS YOUR WARRANTY WORTH? Many worried buyers scared off….”THIS IS JUST A CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOL, AND YOU DO NOT EVEN STAND BEHIND THAT!!!!!!” ……”WHY WOULD I BUY ONE OF YOUR POS POWEWR TOOLS IF YOU CAN’T WARRANTY A RACHECT?”…………

Why should you get a new one instead of a rebuild kit? You were given one, not because you deserved it or was entitled, but because you were a disruptive ass. I wouldn't have given you anything other than the kit, and when you threw a hissy tantrum, I would have had law enforcement remove you.

Last edited:

Why should you get a new ratchet, Snap-On doesnt even give you a whole new ratchet, they replace the broken bits, good as new, fine by me.

toolbox.jpg

My Snap-on guy gives me a new tool when one breaks, then he rebuilds and resells the refurb'd broken tool. I've never even been questioned, and some of the breaks were definitely abuse...

Why should you get a new one instead of a rebuild kit? You were given one, not because you deserved it or was entitled, but because you were a disruptive ass. I wouldn't have given you anything other than the kit, and when you threw a hissy tantrum, I would have had law enforcement remove you.

I've never had a problem with our local Sears store...bring the old tool in, take the new one home. No rebuilds were ever offered but if the rebuild was as good as a new one I probably wouldn't object.

Perhaps it's time to consider an anger management class

Latest posts

Back