Top handle or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effs

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a ms150 for liming. I have not used a top handle, seems like they would be awkward to use. Is the further reach with non top handle noticeable? Thanks in advance.

I'm going to buy a ms150 for liming. I have not used a top handle, seems like they would be awkward to use. Is the further reach with non top handle noticeable? Thanks in advance.
The first time I used one I was always reaching for the top bar (two-handed operation). It took awhile to adjust. They sure are handy for cutting up brush or reducing limbs.
Be careful!

That is a thoughtful question. After having 3 top handles (Stihl 015, Dolmar & J'red 2135), it finally dawned on me that I was too used to using a rear handled saw to be comfortable with the top handle. Yes, I did find them awkward to cut with. My problems were cramping in the trigger finger & difficulty keeping the throttle wide open. If you're talking about using the saw with one hand, a top handle was designed for that, but safety recommendations FORBID any such idea!:omg: I have seen some pros use an 026 with one hand over their head. I couldn't & wouldn't do that. If I were buying the 150, I would opt for the rear handle. At this time I have an MS210 & an MS200, both with rear handles.

Correction: that should read MS201, not 210.

I used a 150 once. Nice lite small saw. I love top handle saws I have no problem with using them in tree or ground

That is a thoughtful question. After having 3 top handles (Stihl 015, Dolmar & J'red 2135), it finally dawned on me that I was too used to using a rear handled saw to be comfortable with the top handle. Yes, I did find them awkward to cut with. My problems were cramping in the trigger finger & difficulty keeping the throttle wide open. If you're talking about using the saw with one hand, a top handle was designed for that, but safety recommendations FORBID any such idea!:omg: I have seen some pros use an 026 with one hand over their head. I couldn't & wouldn't do that. If I were buying the 150, I would opt for the rear handle. At this time I have an MS210 & an MS200, both with rear handles.
I'd suggest a top handle I think most anyone should have one. Especially for storm damage clean up

I wanted something lighter than my 038 to use at arm's length reaching out of a bucket. I settled on a 192t. A really light, handy saw. I thought it would be useful for limbing and bucking the small stuff on the ground, too. It wasn't till after I bought it that I got a look at the manual, and it says that the saw is so dangerous that it should only be used as a climbing saw, that is in situations that make it even more dangerous. I use it for cutting small stuff, but I'm suitably nervous.

Their reason for calling it dangerous is that a top handle gives less leverage than a rear handle and makes the saw harder to control.

I control mine just fine. Tree, ground, roof tops. It cuts good I have bore cut notched back cut dice and fell many trees on slick hill sides and not recommended but any climber will tell you one handed too when it calls for it. Any saw can kick back the longer the bar the more leverage the saw has to kick back

Fair warning, top handle saws are designed to be used with two hands. One hand operation is not only dangerous it can get you fired on the spot at certain companies. Even with two hands on the saw, you do not have the same leverage as a rear handle chainsaw. Now you can do whatever you want but it might just cost you an arm or a leg. I have a 200t and I don’t like using it on the ground at all.

I have 5 top handle saws of different manufacturers and I prefer using them when nobody else is around because of the safety factor. I have one that is higher powered than the others and it's my last choice for limbing because it would be easiest to lose control of..

When I was on the hunt for a small light saw I looked real hard at the top handles but they just felt way off and I could tell without using them that they would be stressful on my wrist and a lot less stable to use.
I ended up getting a rear-handle 192 and reall like that thing.
FYI I am always grounded and if you see me up in a tree something has went horribly wrong.

I sometimes use top handle saws when I'm climbing and removing brush near roads. Mostly Stihl 200t, but I have also used Jonsered 2139 and Stihl 191/2/3T. I always use both hands on the saw, but still even when using both hands, the kickback from a top handle deserves respect. Sure, they are light and nimble, but you will have more controll with a regular saw and it's easier on the back.

I cut all my firewood with my Sachs-Dolmar 105 top handle till 2006.
I did have an electric rear handle saw but it melted its plastic bar stud/case while bucking large logs in the summer heat - thus my 105 was my main and literally only go to saw.

I never felt considerably endangered using my 105 and any of the many kickback's from her weren't anywhere powerful and scary as the first kickback I encountered using my PS-6400.
That been said, my PS-7900 kicks like a horse when I do anyhing stupid with her!

I personally don't consider a small cc top handle saw with safety chain more dangerous than a bigger rear handle saw running non-safety chisel chain.
I like my top handle for her short power head, makes her more maneuverable for certain operations.

Latest posts

Back