Tophandles: Poulan XXV vs. Homelite Super 2 vs. Mini Mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know I've seen some conversation on this topic before, but I'd like to hear some more discussion on this topic.

Of the old American tophandle saws, which is "tops"? :smirk:

I just recently got a Super 2 running (thanks, troutfisher!), although I need a chain of the right length (I have a 54 DL that is too long and a 50 DL that is too short... hmm...:thinking:)

Anybody ever use these for serious work? Which is strongest? Most reliable? Toughest? Best balanced? Easiest to work on? Easiest to find parts for? :curl-lip:

I have two Poulan's and I like them. They respond well to a little porting and a muffler mod. But they do need a stiffer reed pedal in them because I see a lot of spit back through the carb and the gas tank vent in the fill cap likes to piss fuel at you. Other then that they have a lot of power for the weight (for a full mag saw).

Without a chain brake non of them are the safest things to use up in a tree but I've done it. They have good balance but you better have a strong mitt if you have to make a one handed cut.

Used Poulan XXV's are all over the internet for >$30 so it's pretty easy to get parts. But I've noticed that the chroming on the cylinder isn't the best, I have had many with the plating flaking off.

I have owned all three and I like the Poulans the best. I literally gave my Mac's away, a real PITA to work on. I also have several Homies, one is a dual trigger that I like and a bunch of parts Modified Mark sent to get mine going.

I probably have 6 or 7 of the Poulans including a couple I bought new in the 80's. I think they have better power than the others so I plan to hold on to them.

As with all top handled saws (especially non chain brake models), you need to be careful when cutting, especially if the saw is extended away from your body.

I have all three brands in my 'stable'.

By far the easiest to work on is the Homie XL, XL2 or the Super 2. There just seems to be a lot more parts to a Poulan XXV. Both have a temprimental oil pump.

Power is a no contest, 38cc vrs 26 or 30 for the Homies, 32cc for the Mac tophandle.

Homies have the weight advantage and a double trigger model is a tad more versitile.

Only reason I have a Mac is it was like brand new and I had a CAD attack.

In the end: Little red Homies Rule!

Last edited:
I have 2 of the Poulans and 1 of the Homelites at this time. I have had others as well but I sold them. I very much prefer the Poulan in the group. Way more power.

I use the Macs, not all Mini Macs being the same. Depends on what a person is calling a Mini Mac.

I have lots of the Poulan Micros and a couple 25s and a few Homelites but always end up using the Macs.

Between the Poulan's the heavier 25s are the better saw. The Micros are my least favorite saw from Poulan, which is why whenever I buy a group of saws there is always at least one Micro.

Homelites, again the bigger the engine the better.

I'm an old Homelite and McCulloch guy through and through. Having said that...................the Poulan XXV family is the far superior saw of the three listed. I wish that Homelite had made a top handle version of the Super E-Z. That would have been a fantastic saw.

I don't like working on any clamshell housing (meaning two halves of the outer case fitting together around the engine......................not a unit block engine as the AS community has labled 'clamshell' for some reason), and I have worked on many of 'em of all makes. Maybe it's a regional thing, but at least in shops in my area, "clamshell" refered to the outer housing construction and not the engine cylinder/crankcase design.

The Poulan saws aren't too hard to work on. Still a bit irritating at times. The Homelite XL/Super2 saws aren't terribly hard to work on either, but everything (like the throttle linkage) is so 'cheap' (even the earlier metal cased ones) compared to the Homelites and Macs that I do like. I hate working on the Mini-Macs.

The Homelite 150 has good power, but is BUTT UGLY, isn't a true top handle, and is a PITA to work on in my experience. Homelite's first attempt at a 'clamshell case' design. That damn diaphragm oil pump is crap too.

Another vote for the Poulan. First saw I ever ran was dad's XXV. He still has it, runs great. Skip the Macs (did I just say that!?!?).

I have had all three and a s25da poulan will eat those other two. Incredible power for such a small saw. I have three of then in various colors now. Get a cva model if you can find one, they do vibrate quite a bit.

The twin trigger setup on the homie is a nice system.

No comment on the mac. I had one and it was so small that I found myself holding it by the chainbrake instead of the handle, I couldn't get used to it.

I think that little sucker will impress you :cheers:

There isn't even a comparison here!

The Poulan is a superior saw in every respect. I did like the dual trigger set-up on the Homo's though. I would take a dull handsaw over the little Mac's.

Mike

I have two Poulan's and I like them. They respond well to a little porting and a muffler mod. But they do need a stiffer reed pedal in them because I see a lot of spit back through the carb and the gas tank vent in the fill cap likes to piss fuel at you. Other then that they have a lot of power for the weight (for a full mag saw).

Without a chain brake non of them are the safest things to use up in a tree but I've done it. They have good balance but you better have a strong mitt if you have to make a one handed cut.

Used Poulan XXV's are all over the internet for >$30 so it's pretty easy to get parts. But I've noticed that the chroming on the cylinder isn't the best, I have had many with the plating flaking off.

The Poulans spit back some through the carb, yes thats true. Don't matter, thats the way they are, they don't need a stiffer reed. If they did in the 20 years that Poulan produced them they would have done something different about it.

The gas cap will not piss on you either if the duckbill check valve is in place. These saws are now up to 35 years old, you think the rubber parts on any saw will not go bad in that many years?

Poulan still has the duckbills, they cost $2 and I can change one in about 60 seconds.

I have all three brands in my 'stable'.

By far the easiest to work on is the Homie XL, XL2 or the Super 2. There just seems to be a lot more parts to a Poulan XXV. Both have a temprimental oil pump.

Power is a no contest, 38cc vrs 26 or 30 for the Homies, 32cc for the Mac tophandle.

Homies have the weight advantage and a double trigger model is a tad more versitile.

Only reason I have a Mac is it was like brand new and I had a CAD attack.

In the end: Little red Homies Rule!

Yes another guy haveing problems with a 30 year old Poulan chainsaw and he decides the oiler is temprimental?

No there not, ,there one of the most dependable impulse drivin oiler on any I have ever seen. I got my first one used in about 1979 and used it alot for about 20 years before I ever had to put a diaphragm in the oiler on it.

Remember I also worked at the dealer when these were new. I never changed one in the shop there either in 4 years that I was there.

You know the Homies had a all mag XL that was a little heavier also right?

You really think a XL is easier to work on then the Poulan? Not me no way no how.

The Mini Macs and Homelites top handles should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Poulan S25. There not even close.

Last edited:
Poulan S25
Homelite XL-2 or XL Super 2
McCulloch, any of them.

In that order for the top handles. I never believed a chainsaw could fly, till I saw a Super 2 go into orbit one day.

Poulan #1 with the homie following and what was the third brand? There are climbers making a living today with the poulans.

My 25 ran right with a Stihl ms200t cutting around 8" cookies at a gtg.

Poulan, easier to work on, more power, reliable. Homelite, ok to use, less power, a little harder to work on, still reliable when it's put together right. Mini Mac finishes a distant third, harder to work on, my Mini Macs were all finicky and have trouble getting parts at local shops. I own all three and I'll get rid of the Mini Mac and keep the others.

I'm kinda fond of the old Stihl 015. I did have one of them little Poulan top handles, they have good power.

Back