Topping 700 trees effeciently

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you are taking a job that is beyond you ability to do safely.

100 trees per day is a tree every six minutes for ten hours.

It's not adding up.

No rescue available is not a good thing.

To me it looks like your husband is highly likely to become a statistic.

It's not adding up.

We have 2 ground guys there with him he is not alone. We have done a similar job in the past but topping at 20 feet instead of 30 and he averaged 100 per day. He has been climbing for 15 years, but thanks for your concern.

We have 2 ground guys there with him he is not alone. We have done a similar job in the past but topping at 20 feet instead of 30 and he averaged 100 per day. He has been climbing for 15 years, but thanks for your concern.

How will they get him down if he gets injured or passes out?

Look into 'suspension trauma' and see how dangerous it is.

Yes it is a US FS job and appearantly there are a certain species of woodpeckers that are on the extinct species list. Once these trees are topped and bugs get in them the woodpecker goes at it. Its nice to save the species, but on all reality its a waste of money, but someone has to do it. We can get atv's through there but the grounds are all uneven and hilly, and we're not on any trails so a truck won't work. We have to cut at a minimum of 30 feet and the tops have to land on the ground. And yes, we can use chainsaws, just need to meet the requirements with types of oil we use. I like that invention you shared.

used veggie oil,,
Jeff

I don't have a 2nd climber and we need someone on the ground for the roping. The job is 7 hours away from where we are located and in the middle of nowhere...hard to find another climber. My guys stay near the site in a cabin - we take care of all the food and housing for 10 days to get this done. My husband is the climber. I was hoping to get this done faster, but we can't come up with a grand idea yet to be more efficient and safe. I guess 100 trees per day isn't so bad after all, but always trying to improve....that's my nature!

You should video your stay as a documentary, I would watch it, sounds like an interesting life,
Jeff,

Yes it is a US FS job and appearantly there are a certain species of woodpeckers that are on the extinct species list. Once these trees are topped and bugs get in them the woodpecker goes at it. Its nice to save the species, but on all reality its a waste of money, ....
Nailed that one didn't I? Very few would be so foolish to spend so much. Hopefully the birds aren't on the "extinct species list"...but it is the Forest Service, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to save an extinct species :omg:

Sounds like the best plan is bidding high enough to bring in a couple of contract climbers if you win the bid....for the right money, it won't be hard to find help for a couple of weeks.

Soooo..... every 6 minutes for ten hours straight, your husband and his 2 groundies set a line in a top, he climbs it, tops it, climbs down and resets for the next one? And again, and again? Something doesn't add up.
More like 12 hour days, but it really doesn't take long to climb a ladder. I don't think it will be the same amount in a day now he has an extra 10 ft per tree to climb that's why I am seeking ideas on how to be more efficient.

More like 12 hour days, but it really doesn't take long to climb a ladder. I don't think it will be the same amount in a day now he has an extra 10 ft per tree to climb that's why I am seeking ideas on how to be more efficient.
Actually an extra 10 ft up and 10 down ;)

Nailed that one didn't I? Very few would be so foolish to spend so much. Hopefully the birds aren't on the "extinct species list"...but it is the Forest Service, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to save an extinct species :omg:

Sounds like the best plan is bidding high enough to bring in a couple of contract climbers if you win the bid....for the right money, it won't be hard to find help for a couple of weeks.
You sure did! I meant endangered species list ;) it's challenging to find good climbers out by us right now that don't have lots of baggage. It's a busy season. You know someone?

Soooo..... every 6 minutes for ten hours straight, your husband and his 2 groundies set a line in a top, he climbs it, tops it, climbs down and resets for the next one? And again, and again? Something doesn't add up.
3rd gu
How will they get him down if he gets injured or passes out?

Look into 'suspension trauma' and see how dangerous it is.
He isn't hanging from the tree. He is climbing a ladder. If something went wrong the know how to use ropes and they can climb. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

3rd gu

He isn't hanging from the tree. He is climbing a ladder. If something went wrong the know how to use ropen and they can climb. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Just wondering what kind of operation you're running there.

Cutting 12" diameter pine tops from a ladder.

That's about all I need to know.

Keep his life insurance paid up.

It's not adding up.

We have done this in the past on 2 occasions both were over 1,000 trees topped all safely.

We have done this in the past on 2 occasions both were over 1,000 trees topped all safely.

Over 2,000 trees topped at 20ft. height from a ladder with no injuries is impressive.

It stretches creditability, but indeed impressive.

What happens all to often is the large tree top hits the ground and then hits the ladder.

I'd be interested to learn how you guys avoid that happening?

Back