Toro STX 26 in Pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royalrooter77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if a Toro STX 26 is too long for a 6.5ft bed of a pickup truck? Will it fit with the cutter head turned? I saw online the length is just over 6.5ft but am ot sure if the measurement is with the cutting head turned to the side. Has anyone tried it and is the 1200lb machine too heavy for the bed? I'm trying to avoid buying another trailer.

I used one for a solid year before I bought one, its not that its not going to fit or be to heavy its just going to be quite scary to drive it up there, the panel style control for the tracks is not going to be easy to use while you pull it up there, your going to need serious ramps too, as often the capacity of ramps is overrated. I have a Carlton 4012 that is at least a ton, bent 2 sets or ramps then had to make my own by bending back the heavier one and bolting in a 2 x 12 to reinforce it and then get rails into the midsection of the 2 x 12 to keep it from flexing... The toro is lighter for sure but its still going to be heavy on the tailgate and its not going to be easy on and off. can be done though, ive seen it many times with other units. I really liked that grinder too, it was very powerful for its size. goes ANYWHERE, places I would never dream of trying to take my top heavy 4012, I drove over spreading juniper bushes with that thing and the were fine afterwords.

Save yourself and your truck the stress and get a trailer. 1200lbs is too heavy for a pickup truck. And you are gonna bend your tailgate unless you take it off.
I wouldn't do it with mine.

We have a dingo (not sure of model but it states ours is 1800lbs) at work that we load into the back of a 1 ton dump with super beefy ramps that we built (12' long red oak reinforced with 1/4" angle iron). It's super sketchy..... but works, but like stated above you wouldn't be able to do it with a tailgate and unless you beefed up your springs it's a lot of weight for a pickup.

Last edited:
I'm sure even a 1/2 ton could haul 1200lbs but the tailgate and hinge points on the bed would crack apart in no time with the stress of 1200lbs coming and going all day long.

Back