torque vs chainspeed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Torque is king. Ask anybody who actually uses a saw everyday. Nobody wants a piss revver.

Just some food for thought....

At 12k RPM, a 7 pin 3/8 setup spins at 87.5 feet per second.

At 13k RPM, the same setup spins the chain at 94.79 feet per second.

Changing gears a bit... Lol.

At 12K RPM, an 8 pin rim at 12k rpm spins the chain at 100 feet per second.

And at 13K RPM , an 8 pin spins the chain at 108 feet per second.

If you can maintain 12k in wood, that is, have the torque to pull an 8 pin rim, you WILL be cutting faster than the same saw, running a 7 pin at 13k RPM.

Like I said, torque is king....

BINGO give this man a prize.

Speed is for cuttin' cookies
or if you're getting paid by the cord and the wood is small.
I know most of you have never removed Almond or Walnut orchards as cutters but there were some decent sized crews in the San Joaquin Valley in Cali in the early '90s and '00s (not many left now). We swung saws for cordage, not BF :p

I had a David bradley gear drive once. I swear you could file it while you were bucking. Couldn't stall it though...
One of the fastest saws I've seen to run away from you while idling on the ground. Don't expect them to be where u set them down at. Lmao.

Had a 346 that seemed like it would roll away on flat ground, damned thing never stayed upright and tried to jump out the truck everytime the side box was opened

IMHO, the worst thing is to have your chain unintentionally stop when in the middle of a felling cut .................. give me torque to power through the tough ones on the big saws.

Give me chain speed on the smaller saws .............. I never dog in when limbing

Just build the best engine you can......

There is no better teacher than experience. I've done hundreds and hundreds of saws......and I'm still learning.

Here's a tidbit that will help anyone see what really makes a saw get through the wood faster. Build several of the same model........do them all a little different. Keep good notes, make several cut in bar length wood with each saw.......in the same wood.....with the same bar & chain. Video all the cuts, and review them with a stopwatch. Listen carefully to each saw as it is leaned on, when it is just pulling itself, and when it idles down after the cut.

If you really wanna see what works........this is now you'll get there.

The days of me coming on here and saying what works in each model are over. How you build a saw.......that's great. I could care less how anyone elses saws run.......the only ones that matter to me are mine.

Wednesday, January 28th 2015........and I'm knee deep in studying different combos on the MS660.

bench 026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back