Tracked vs rubber tire stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Reaction score
Wanted to see what everyone thought about the tracked stump grinders vs the rubber tire ones.

I am looking at buying a carlton 7015 grinder. I cant decide between tracked or tired. I know each has cons and pros but what one is better? Does anyone have a tracked grinder?

I am also looking at a used 8018 carlton grinder, but one thing that concerns me about it is the fact that its 50" wide, so it wont fit through a 36" gate.

Wanted to see what everyone thought about the tracked stump grinders vs the rubber tire ones.

I am looking at buying a carlton 7015 grinder. I cant decide between tracked or tired. I know each has cons and pros but what one is better? Does anyone have a tracked grinder?

I am also looking at a used 8018 carlton grinder, but one thing that concerns me about it is the fact that its 50" wide, so it wont fit through a 36" gate.

Depends on your needs. If you are doing mostly residential work on fairly level lawns, I'd get a wheeled machine. The benefits are they are cheaper, simpler,less up keep, and easier on lawns. If you are working on slopes or doing some land clearing, I'd get a track machine. If you deal with 36" gates, and want tracks, get a 7015 trx instead of an 8018. I have an 8018; it's a beast of a machine that destroys stumps but it's also big and heavy. It's a good machine for land clearing as well the downside is I've lost some jobs because I couldn't get through a gate. You also have to be carefull on lawns. It will tear when you turn if you're not carefull. I have to use plywood sometimes.

Track vs Tire

Tracks are Awesome, on smaller units they are very useful and actually just as easy on the lawn if your somewhat careful. I have no experience on a larger unit with tracks but I am stunned to hear that you have only encountered one gate, I am always fighting for access, I am getting used to taking fence sections out to get stump or stems out or down.

Most people down here that have fences, have sections that open up enough to drive a truck in.

Same down here, only once in the last 8 yrs have i had to take my duals off to
get thru a gate.......but i do a lot of grinding where there are sprinkler systems etc,
so i don't think a tracked machine would be practical for me....

Bob....:cheers:

Not many sprinklers here, at least not where i do work at.

I hear ya....being born and raised in johnstown, pa, and then 20 years in northern
ohio b4 moving to texas, i don't remember seeing sprinkler systems, probably weather
has something to do with it :hmm3grin2orange:

Bob....:cheers:

If your still considering tracked or wheeled I would say it depends on where you are located, hilly or flat. Flat ground a wheeled machine works fine and you can use one in hilly areas also but I would buy tracked for hilly conditions. Simple answer but it covers the question completely in my opinion. Good luck

Back