tractor mounted log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezyelper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm building a log splitter to go on my kubota tractor. It has remote hydraulic hook ups already installed and manual says it has a 27gpm pump,so i thought that would save me from buying a pump and engine. My question is that I am going to have to install a valve on the splitter but my tractor valve will have to be tied down or held open all the time because it will not lock into an open position. Do you guys think this will over heat or harm the pump on the tractor being in the open position all the time?

P.S. This is my first post. Hope Ive got everything right. Love reading and seeing what you guys are doing. This is a great forum!!! Hopefully I will be putting up some pics in the next couple of weeks when I finish it up.

I have a Kubota MX 5000 with a Bush Hog splitter.I also use this tractor to run a shaver post driver alot.I have to lock my remotes in to with a lock knob.It will in no way harm the tractor hydraulics,but i always disengage the remotes if I leave the tractor idling and not working the attachment for about 5-10 minutes.Just remember while building your splitter,your Kubota has open center hydraulics.My only gripe with my Kubota is that the 3 pt hitch wont raise with the remotes engaged

What model Kubota is it. Most only have 7-14 gallons of flow at the remotes where you are hooking it up. This would be relatively slow.

Most tractor remotes are designed for continuous flow if they are factory installed. it should indicate in the remote portion of the manual if you can not use remotes continuously.

Hi neighbor, welcome to AS. I have some good friends down around Decatur.

I built a splitter to go on my tractor and used it all one winter. The lever for my remote detents one way so I didn't have to tie it back. The only time it would kick off is when I hit something really hard. I used it the first season I had my stove and gathered parts to build a conventional splitter. I couldn't see a 70 horse tractor running all the time while I had a good Briggs motor sitting in the basement just begging to be used.

You are right. I misquoted. It's 17 gallons per minute-I checked my manual. It is a model 9000.

I already have a gasoline type splitter. The one I am making for the tractor is going to have a 4 and 6 way wedge.

Last edited:
EZ,

You should verify the remote flow with a Kubota dealer. Your total flow is 17 gpm but you are likely getting only 6-9 at remote outlets.

Total flow includes steering, 3 point hitch, loader etc.

I would suggest that you consider adding a hydraulic pump to the design of your splitter and use the Kubota's PTO to drive the separate pump, but leave the hydraulics of the tractor out of the equation entirely. I believe this is what Timberwolf and some of the other high end tractor mounted units do.

EZ,

You should verify the remote flow with a Kubota dealer. Your total flow is 17 gpm but you are likely getting only 6-9 at remote outlets.

Total flow includes steering, 3 point hitch, loader etc.

I agree. That was another reason I didn't like the three point splitter. It wasn't as fast as I thought it should be. With the 12 horse Briggs at 1/4 throttle and a 11 gpm pump it is a lot faster.

Total flow?

[QUOTE Id run a seperate pto pump as others have said, Do sum reserach and get a pump thats puts out what u want at about 1200 engine rpm, another reserach to do is what engine rpm is your engine best rated at? HP econemy and such,..Id probably want a single stage that put out max gpm @ 1200 or so depending on how you set up the rest of the system cylinder size etc, Do your home work and have some fun,...Eric

[QUOTE Id run a seperate pto pump as others have said, Do sum reserach and get a pump thats puts out what u want at about 1200 engine rpm, another reserach to do is what engine rpm is your engine best rated at? HP econemy and such,..Id probably want a single stage that put out max gpm @ 1200 or so depending on how you set up the rest of the system cylinder size etc, Do your home work and have some fun,...Eric

This isn't a bad idea at all, but it's not going to be cheap. And he'll have to have a remote Resivoir. Hey cabin what's been cookin?

Wood

This isn't a bad idea at all, but it's not going to be cheap. And he'll have to have a remote Resivoir. Hey cabin what's been cookin?

Dam it,. still cookin wood after all this winter,.....Actually I love winter and The stove,...and u?...Seems like planting should be up next week,..But not this year, Eric

I searched wkpoors but didnt find any thing about a detachable unit, could you send me a link to that you were speaking of

307300483.jpg

307300485.jpg

307300486.jpg

307300489.jpg

307300490.jpg

307300568.jpg

This unit uses the Prince 540 PTO pump 21GPM.Full cycle time 7sec. Has a 2" receiver to pull my wagon behind. I only run the engine @1500RPM as that is plenty fast. Tank is 21gal but have only 10gal in it as I found out the fluid doesn't get hot. Fuel consumption is surprisenly low. I would have to say its not much more than the Briggs and maybe right close to better. The diesel is real efficient and you won't have an engine screaming in your ear the whole time.

Wow thats a great looking set up you have, thanks for the pics.Where did you get your pump at ? I looked at some in northern tool is there someplace cheaper.

I bought it from Prince direct. Most all the fitting and plumbing parts are from McMaster Carr. The beam and cylinder are from a Speeco unit the small 22 toner. Actually the power is fa nominal and I'm only pressure set at 1800PSI. I could turn it up to 2200PSI but it has yet to be held back by any size piece. When you hit the would having all that volume combined with the pressure it must just blow through cause it never has any trouble no matter how large or narly a piece it is. And it does go vertical too.

This unit uses the Prince 540 PTO pump 21GPM.Full cycle time 7sec. Has a 2" receiver to pull my wagon behind. I only run the engine @1500RPM as that is plenty fast. Tank is 21gal but have only 10gal in it as I found out the fluid doesn't get hot. Fuel consumption is surprisenly low. I would have to say its not much more than the Briggs and maybe right close to better. The diesel is real efficient and you won't have an engine screaming in your ear the whole time.

It wasn't the fuel consumption that bothered me about the three point hitch splitter. (Yours looks great by the way). It was the fact that I was putting wear and hours on a $15K tractor to do a job a free Briggs motor could do just as well. With the 12 horse Briggs being more motor than I need it's not screaming, just purring along at a little above idle.

I bought it from Prince direct. Most all the fitting and plumbing parts are from McMaster Carr. The beam and cylinder are from a Speeco unit the small 22 toner. Actually the power is fa nominal and I'm only pressure set at 1800PSI. I could turn it up to 2200PSI but it has yet to be held back by any size piece. When you hit the would having all that volume combined with the pressure it must just blow through cause it never has any trouble no matter how large or narly a piece it is. And it does go vertical too.

How long of a push does that cylinder have? I'd like to have a splitter on the back of my 40T, that'd be cool :)

Thats a 4" x 26" stroke cylinder. Actually a 20" cylinder would be just fine if you cut most of your wood 16-18 inches.

Latest posts

Back