Tractor Supply selling 54cc New Poulan Pro saws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of the TSC stores in this area have some of the 330s. Lady there told me only certain stores in each region will get them. I looked one over today, seemed to be well built. For 200 bucks, I might even add one to the collection just for the heck of it.

330 PP... Damm Nice Saw!

It won't be too much longer till some one here is going to end up with one and report with unbiased accuracy that it's got suprising speed and a very decent low end! Do the muffler and it gets even better! My first one had a 22" bar and 3/8 low profile. Second one had an 18" bar. Both good saws! I personally like that whole series and have several..............:cheers:......Bob

I have a Poulan 335 Pro which is 54cc, not 60 if that's what the retailer is leading you to believe. Unless they've since changed the specs, of course - but I can't believe they're still selling these 20-year-old designs with the new EPA garbage. At any rate my 335 Pro is my absolute favorite ~50cc saw right now (that I actually own anyway) and is my go-to "small" firewood saw, though I'd like to replace its 18" bar with at least a 20" if not 22". I drilled the muffler out a bit to open it up (more permanent muffler mod to come later) and that did wake it up a fair bit, not to mention it sounds MUCH better now! I just rebuilt a friend's Stihl 034 last weekend and ran both saws in the same afternoon, and my 335 was definitely a bit faster (which would be expected with the muffler mod) - though the Stihl had 3/8 skip chain while the poulan had .325 full-house so the comparison is relative at best. It does have loads of torque though, and is very solidly built; nothing at all like the typical "Wild Thing"-esque Big-Box-store Poulans. If those 330s are anything like my 335, $200 is a total steal. I think the free-spin RPM of these saws is 13k if I remember right - I wonder what gains could be made with a full port & polish job. Are they closed transfer or open design?

Link to my 335 thread where there was a similar discussion about these saws:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=95586&highlight=poulan

No need to get all "territorial" about a Poulan chainsaw. Guys, I haven't ran a 330 yet, and may not ever do so. I've ran dozens of otherPoulan models over the past 30 years or so, and the best of them were just OK for power production.

Every saw brand has it's followers, and I fully respect that. Instead of arguing or trying to convince me or anyone else how fast and powerful this model is, let's see some timed cutting results instead.

Cripe, I see folks who like the Mac-610's, and even claim how well they run 24" bars, etc. All I can say for someone who likes one, don't ever pick up a Husqvarna 262XP, because your days of running and liking a Mac-610 are over!

I do agree that most of the "poor" ratings I read about on the reviews of the Poulan 330, were probably from folks who should stay in the house, and hire folks to cut up downed trees after a Hurricane came through their area...FWIW.....Cliff

I have a Poulan 335 Pro which is 54cc, not 60 if that's what the retailer is leading you to believe. Unless they've since changed the specs, of course - but I can't believe they're still selling these 20-year-old designs with the new EPA garbage. At any rate my 335 Pro is my absolute favorite ~50cc saw right now (that I actually own anyway) and is my go-to "small" firewood saw, though I'd like to replace its 18" bar with at least a 20" if not 22". I drilled the muffler out a bit to open it up (more permanent muffler mod to come later) and that did wake it up a fair bit, not to mention it sounds MUCH better now! I just rebuilt a friend's Stihl 034 last weekend and ran both saws in the same afternoon, and my 335 was definitely a bit faster (which would be expected with the muffler mod) - though the Stihl had 3/8 skip chain while the poulan had .325 full-house so the comparison is relative at best. It does have loads of torque though, and is very solidly built; nothing at all like the typical "Wild Thing"-esque Big-Box-store Poulans. If those 330s are anything like my 335, $200 is a total steal. I think the free-spin RPM of these saws is 13k if I remember right - I wonder what gains could be made with a full port & polish job. Are they closed transfer or open design?

Link to my 335 thread where there was a similar discussion about these saws:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=95586&highlight=poulan

Brad, the 330 is the next generation of your 335. Very similar with the 330 haveing a better air filter setup.

No need to get all "territorial" about a Poulan chainsaw. Guys, I haven't ran a 330 yet, and may not ever do so. I've ran dozens of otherPoulan models over the past 30 years or so, and the best of them were just OK for power production.

Every saw brand has it's followers, and I fully respect that. Instead of arguing or trying to convince me or anyone else how fast and powerful this model is, let's see some timed cutting results instead.

Cripe, I see folks who like the Mac-610's, and even claim how well they run 24" bars, etc. All I can say for someone who likes one, don't ever pick up a Husqvarna 262XP, because your days of running and liking a Mac-610 are over!

I do agree that most of the "poor" ratings I read about on the reviews of the Poulan 330, were probably from folks who should stay in the house, and hire folks to cut up downed trees after a Hurricane came through their area...FWIW.....Cliff

Cliff seems your haveing a hard time with this. I'm going to type this real slooowww.

Brand new chainsaw, a good one for $200.........

Well I'm not getting territorial about mine. I thought the whole point of this thread was asking for opinions on whether the 330 is a decent saw and worth the $200? Just relating my own experiences. Believe me, I'm NO fan of Poulan on the whole. But in the past that bias has misled me - I once passed up a Poulan 6000 (100cc) in great shape at a pawnshop for $100 simply because of the Poulan name on it; up until that time my only experience with Poulan was with the cheapo big-box-store saws which ARE junk. I came to find out later that the older ones pre-Electrolux were right up there with the old domestic Macs and Homelites as far as performance and quality & have regretted not adding that one to the collection ever since. I'm certainly not saying my 335 is THE BEST 54-cc saw out there, but it's the best one I have in my collection at the moment and is very capable, and what's more, very reliable too. And, considering it was in like-new condition when I paid $100 for it, it's one of the better deals I've gotten too. I'm no Poulan fanboy, but they aren't all garbage just because they don't have orange on them.

Well I'm not getting territorial about mine. I thought the whole point of this thread was asking for opinions on whether the 330 is a decent saw and worth the $200? Just relating my own experiences. Believe me, I'm NO fan of Poulan on the whole. But in the past that bias has misled me - I once passed up a Poulan 6000 (100cc) in great shape at a pawnshop for $100 simply because of the Poulan name on it; up until that time my only experience with Poulan was with the cheapo big-box-store saws which ARE junk. I came to find out later that the older ones pre-Electrolux were right up there with the old domestic Macs and Homelites as far as performance and quality & have regretted not adding that one to the collection ever since. I'm certainly not saying my 335 is THE BEST 54-cc saw out there, but it's the best one I have in my collection at the moment and is very capable, and what's more, very reliable too. And, considering it was in like-new condition when I paid $100 for it, it's one of the better deals I've gotten too. I'm no Poulan fanboy, but they aren't all garbage just because they don't have orange on them.
I passed up a Makita 540 at Canadian Tire because I did not know what it was if I had looked at it closer and saw made in Germany on it I would have bought it that was pre AS day's. They also had the Poulan and some kind of 55/60cc Mac that was just like my old 3.7 in Size and weight.The Makita was on Sale for much less than the Mac or Poulan too.
This has been said before on this thread really what can you buy for $ 200.00 these day's? sounds like a good deal for a tough built 50cc saw.

I purchased a PP330 as a backup/project/play saw a few years ago. I paid $150 NIB shipped off eBay. This saw was non typical of the new Poulan saws. Simple choke, easy start, great high end and adjustable oiler. It has an excellent power to weight ratio and is comfortable to use. My only complaint was the 22" bar. I put a 20" on and have a ton of hours on it. I have over a dozen new and older saws and it still gets plenty of play time with my Husky, Stihl and older Macs and Poulan chainsaws. It does well to keep up with a pair of older Poulan Pro 375 modded saws I keep. I still see them selling for $200 used on Craiglist from time to time.

Just got one

I am new to this site but have lurked in the forums a few times.

I just went to TSC and picked one up because I needed a larger saw than what I now have. I was very close to buying a MS290 because they have a "free" case and chain this month but the 4 bills was pushing my budget these days.

I set the saw up and it started after 5 pulls. No cutting yet as I want to break this thing in right. If someone could post a link to proper break-in procedures I would appreciate it. I know a lot about power tools but not specifically chainsaws and I am sure there are little things that can make a big differnce in the long run.

Thanks everyone, I have learned a lot from this site already and hope to contribute in the future!

I bought a pp330 new off ebay about 4 years ago, put a baileys 18 in nk bar and chain 0n it, had to mod the bar to make it fit,mod the muff tweeked the carb,this saw has cut more cords than i can count, has never let me down, it --IS NOT -your typical polan junk....

Wal Mart had a 34 cc poulan pro that looks similar for $136 in Ky. today.

You're joking, right? Poulan doesn't make anything like this before, and walmart has never carried any new old stock poulans. Plus, they never made a 34cc "good saw" so far as I know. You're probably referring to something like this:

PP3516AVX.jpg

LOL 34cc = 54cc? Maybe for cutting kindling. The difference is that Wal-Mart saw isn't even worth half the price, and the PP 330 (IMO) ranks up there with imports that cost twice the price or more. I won't even touch a sub-50cc-class saw for any firewood tasks; it's a ridiculous proposition. Neither will I ever buy a saw with a plastic case (which those Wal-Mart Poulans are) due to obvious durability concerns. Why take twice as long to cut the wood just for the fact of saving a couple pounds of weight on the saw end? I'm happiest with my 371 & 25" bar even in small <8" wood - I can cut and limb with just the tip of the bar and barely even have to bend over.

Tractor Supply near me has them.

They had two on display, It looks as if that was all they had, so if you wanted one, it was one of the two displays. They each had a bag zipped tied to them with a bottle of two stroke oil in it. $199 before tax, I was tempted but I had to spend my $ on other things today. I looked them over real well. Magnesium case, and everything else was right on par with my Husky 51. I didn't like the location of the kill switch, it seems like you could bump it too easily with your right hand. Other than that $200 is a great price.

Don't judge a book by the cover. I also first thought that the switch was in a bad place, but I now think its the best positioned switch that I have on a saw.

I don't think I ever have had a problem with it there.

I don't want to derail the thread but last night I was in a Tractor Supply and noticed bar oil on sale for 5.99. Anybody that needs some may want to cash in.

Back