Tractor Supply selling 54cc New Poulan Pro saws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this saw last week and finally got a chance to really use it yesterday. Around here we have a lot of dead ash trees and I was cutting up a couple that had fallen. Nice saw! I am not a daily saw user but this saw is going to be great for me- even stock. I like the feel of it and the simplicity of the controls, plus the fact that it cuts nicely out of the box.

Thanks for this thread, I was going to get a MS290 but I think I like this saw better- and I have used MS290's many times along with the "big box" Huskies. I also like the fact that I still have $200 still in my pocket.

I do not care what other people think- I want to process firewood.

Last edited:
I got this saw last week and finally got a chance to really use it yesterday. Around here we have a lot of dead ash trees and I was cutting up a couple that had fallen. Nice saw! I am not a daily saw user but this saw is going to be great for me- even stock. I like the feel of it and the simplicity of the controls, plus the fact that it cuts nicely out of the box.

Thanks for this thread, I was going to get a MS290 but I think I like this saw better- and I have used MS290's many times along with the "big box" Huskies. I also like the fact that I still have $200 still in my pocket.

I do not care what other people think- I want to process firewood.

Congrats on the new POULAN these are good saws. And at 200.00 they are the best deal out there on a new saw.:cheers:

I grabbed one up yesterday. Whats the deal on the single ring?? Is that going to last? I threw an 18" blade and a safety chain on it and I was pretty impressed how it cut through a 18" chunk of Black walnut, I zipped through faster then I would have thought.

Check all the bolts. One of the bolts on the bottom of the front handle was sticking out about 5-6 threads. It also really stumbled from an idle when nailing it which I wasn't impressed with, but I tuned the flat spot out giving the low screw about 1/2 a turn out. Turning the high end out 1/4 just made it worse and it smelled pretty rich already without a load.

This is the first "New" saw I have purchased and for the 2 bones I'm happy.

Thanks for the heads up.

I grabbed one up this morning, although it was difficult to carry it by the Husqvarna display on the way to the check-out!

Seriously......overall it's a well built saw, oils fine, not very well adjusted right out of the box, but a drywall screw and quick yank with a pair of pliers and the limiter caps were removed for custom settings.

The saw runs well in the cut, aside from the idle changing constantly from one cut to the next. It will occassionally stumble, and load up and die out here and there, with no consistant pattern to the nonesense.

We've had it out on the wood pile all morning, cutting up twisted and oversize peices for the splitter. I set it slightly rich on the "H" screw for break-in, taking it pretty easy on it for the first couple of tanks.

I'm hoping the carb issue settles out soon, PITA having it changing speeds and stalling out once in a while.

It has the crappy Oregon chain with the goofy rakers, otherwise no other negatives to mention.

I'll reserve specific comments on power production and comparisons to some of our other 50-55cc saws until I get plenty of time on it and it's well seated. It seems to have decent power, and the anti-vibe is excellent, but I can tell you for certain, unless it finds about 30 percent more power someplace, it's not going to be well suited for this 22" bar.......Cliff

PS: our local TSC has a BIG stack of them on display, at least 10 units as of this morning. I'd gladly grab a few and ship them via our commercial UPS account, if any members just have to have one and can't find one locally.

I grabbed one up this morning, although it was difficult to carry it by the Husqvarna display on the way to the check-out!

Seriously......overall it's a well built saw, oils fine, not very well adjusted right out of the box, but a drywall screw and quick yank with a pair of pliers and the limiter caps were removed for custom settings.

The saw runs well in the cut, aside from the idle changing constantly from one cut to the next. It will occassionally stumble, and load up and die out here and there, with no consistant pattern to the nonesense.

We've had it out on the wood pile all morning, cutting up twisted and oversize peices for the splitter. I set it slightly rich on the "H" screw for break-in, taking it pretty easy on it for the first couple of tanks.

I'm hoping the carb issue settles out soon, PITA having it changing speeds and stalling out once in a while.

It has the crappy Oregon chain with the goofy rakers, otherwise no other negatives to mention.

I'll reserve specific comments on power production and comparisons to some of our other 50-55cc saws until I get plenty of time on it and it's well seated. It seems to have decent power, and the anti-vibe is excellent, but I can tell you for certain, unless it finds about 30 percent more power someplace, it's not going to be well suited for this 22" bar.......Cliff

PS: our local TSC has a BIG stack of them on display, at least 10 units as of this morning. I'd gladly grab a few and ship them via our commercial UPS account, if any members just have to have one and can't find one locally.

Mine doesn't stumble or die at all, but I felt like it would at first. All I had to do was turn the adjustment screws the the max rich setting with the caps on (only about 1/8 turn from where it came, caps limit you a lot). Now it runs mint. The idle seems a bit high, but its not turning the chain on idle and it doesn't stumble. Takes throttle excellent. I only have one tank through mine so far.

CliffR or anyone with TSC that has the poulan 330 in stock if you could give store location. I am in South Dakota and my store manager looked at me like I was from another country when I asked him about the 330. He even got more wide eyed when I explained how I knew about it.

The store manager stated if I could locate a saw in one of there stores he would be able to get the store to ship it to his store in Watertown, SD. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

I hope to try one soon. The one I have now needs case seals and etc, never have time to get it done.

power head only weight

Hi does anyone know how much the powerhead only empty weighs on these saws? and what about a D176 mac mount for the bar?

store in knoxville tenn had three left last week. i have run three tanks thru mine hasnt missed a beat. i drove 80 miles to get one. didnt need it, really couldnt afford it. can we assume CAD?

CliffR or anyone with TSC that has the poulan 330 in stock if you could give store location. I am in South Dakota and my store manager looked at me like I was from another country when I asked him about the 330. He even got more wide eyed when I explained how I knew about it.

The store manager stated if I could locate a saw in one of there stores he would be able to get the store to ship it to his store in Watertown, SD. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

The store in Skowhegan, ME has 5 left right now.

I hope to try one soon. The one I have now needs case seals and etc, never have time to get it done.

No worries, I'm on it. Just need to get to the bank to cash that money order, tiny post offices around here don't carry that kinda money apparently.

Ran two tanks thru it today, and it's was continuing to get better with each tank. One of the most difficult saws to set I've ever owned for the "L" speed screw. It just wants to "bog" once in a while no matter where you set it at, then on occassion will change speed and slow down or completely stall out at idle for no apparent reason.

That was earlier today, fast forward to late this afternoon.

After the second tank I removed the muffler and modified it slightly, removing the pipe that runs across the top and opened up the exit hole right before the deflector.

That was what it needed, as it immediately quite wanting to "bog" down and responded more favorably to carburetor setting(s).

It's starting to show it's colors a bit, I'm going to have to set it up with an 18" bar and 3/8" set-up instead of the 22" stock deal. For now it's OK, but doesn't run the 22" bar with any authority in larger material. It's problably better overall than I'm making it out to be, as it's quick to want to compare it with a 262XP or 268XP, which have more power at every rpm than 54cc Poulan 330.

I'll do some timed cutting on our next outing against the Echo CS-510 and Husqvarna 55, although I probably woln't be running .325" chain on the Poulan by then.

Overall, decent saw for $200, muffler mod only took seconds, as did removing the limiter caps, which is about all the saw really needs.....Cliff

Will a D176 mount bar work on this saw with minor or no modification?

No, the tail is too large on it. I already spoke of this earlier. If you want to change it and can't find a K041 mount bar in the size you want then you will want to use a K095 mount Husky bar, but you will have to file the adjuster holes up to the bar grove so it will oil through the adjuster holes.

Ran two tanks thru it today, and it's was continuing to get better with each tank. One of the most difficult saws to set I've ever owned for the "L" speed screw. It just wants to "bog" once in a while no matter where you set it at, then on occassion will change speed and slow down or completely stall out at idle for no apparent reason.

That was earlier today, fast forward to late this afternoon.

After the second tank I removed the muffler and modified it slightly, removing the pipe that runs across the top and opened up the exit hole right before the deflector.

That was what it needed, as it immediately quite wanting to "bog" down and responded more favorably to carburetor setting(s).

It's starting to show it's colors a bit, I'm going to have to set it up with an 18" bar and 3/8" set-up instead of the 22" stock deal. For now it's OK, but doesn't run the 22" bar with any authority in larger material. It's problably better overall than I'm making it out to be, as it's quick to want to compare it with a 262XP or 268XP, which have more power at every rpm than 54cc Poulan 330.

I'll do some timed cutting on our next outing against the Echo CS-510 and Husqvarna 55, although I probably woln't be running .325" chain on the Poulan by then.

Overall, decent saw for $200, muffler mod only took seconds, as did removing the limiter caps, which is about all the saw really needs.....Cliff

Got to admit I'm surprised you picked one up, and glad it sounds like your giving it a fair shake.

Remember we all said that a 22" bar is too much for it.

Great site guys; as you can see I just joined. Somehow I ended up here looking for a piston and/or rings for one of my Pro Mac 610's. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Thanks for all the good info on the Poulan Pro 330. After reading 7 pages of posts last night, I decided to see if our local TSC had one of these. As all of you said, this looks like a really well built saw for the money. As you can see by my sig, I really could use a more modern saw.

Turns out they had 6 in stock, and just for asking they offered one to me for $10 off the $199 asking price, or OTD for $201. Sold!:)

Back