Tractor Supply selling 54cc New Poulan Pro saws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great site guys; as you can see I just joined. Somehow I ended up here looking for a piston and/or rings for one of my Pro Mac 610's. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Thanks for all the good info on the Poulan Pro 330. After reading 7 pages of posts last night, I decided to see if our local TSC had one of these. As all of you said, this looks like a really well built saw for the money. As you can see by my sig, I really could use a more modern saw.

Turns out they had 6 in stock, and just for asking they offered one to me for $10 off the $199 asking price, or OTD for $201. Sold!:)

And it's even yellow so it won't look to out of place with the Macs! :cheers:

Great site guys; as you can see I just joined. Somehow I ended up here looking for a piston and/or rings for one of my Pro Mac 610's. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Thanks for all the good info on the Poulan Pro 330. After reading 7 pages of posts last night, I decided to see if our local TSC had one of these. As all of you said, this looks like a really well built saw for the money. As you can see by my sig, I really could use a more modern saw.

Turns out they had 6 in stock, and just for asking they offered one to me for $10 off the $199 asking price, or OTD for $201. Sold!:)

Welcome to the site, if you hang around here much that group of Macs will be getting more companions then you think!

Enjoy your new saw, bet your arms won't be sorry for toting a more modern saw.

"Got to admit I'm surprised you picked one up, and glad it sounds like your giving it a fair shake."

Well, it wasn't an easy purchase, as I already have excellent saws in that size/power range. I just wanted to see for myself in an American company can make a decent saw these days, and was hoping that the 330 wasn't anything like the re-badge Husqvarna's Poulan made for them a few years ago. The price is certainly right for a split case 54cc saw. It's a tad heavy, but very well constructed.

Overall, the 330 is turning out to be a nice addition to the line-up. My son is going to use it full time this Winter to cut firewood for us, so we'll not only give it a fair shake, we'll see just how well made it actually is?

I do have one question, about the adjustable oiler. Which way do you turn the screw to reduce the amount of oil to the bar? Didn't see it glancing thru the owners manual they supplied with it.....Cliff

I just wanted to see for myself in an American company can make a decent saw these days
I have to admit, this is one attraction for me. Not much of pics and videos with them yet, waiting for you guys to get your act together...:rolleyes:

I'd love to try one if anyone has one around the Bay area on the west coast.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your purchase at all. Not sure where you live, but if you're out west here and cut a lot of softwood, it'll pull that 22" bar just fine, especially with skip chain. Once (and/or if) you're comfortable with it, open the muffler up a bit and it'll really perform for you.

I'm going to try to get a video done with my 335 sometime this week. I'll be using it tomorrow for a job removing some nice Juniper trees, but won't be able to videotape that. I have a good D. Fir log out back though that I can take a biscuit or two off of.

I'm going to try to get a video done with my 335 sometime this week. I'll be using it tomorrow for a job removing some nice Juniper trees, but won't be able to videotape that. I have a good D. Fir log out back though that I can take a biscuit or two off of.
Brad,

What's the difference between the 330 and 335?

According to Mark (and some pictures I've seen) the 330 has a better air intake / filter system, but I'm not sure if there are any other significant differences. My 335 has an old-skool heavy steel wire chainbrake handle - do the newer 330s have a more modern plastic style?

According to Mark (and some pictures I've seen) the 330 has a better air intake / filter system, but I'm not sure if there are any other significant differences. My 335 has an old-skool heavy steel wire chainbrake handle - do the newer 330s have a more modern plastic style?

Yup, the chain brake looks just like all the other modern chain brakes out there from the mid to late 90's.

Oh no

Well the neighbor got wind of this(his ole Mac610 has seen better days)so we fire up the buggy & head to Tractor City. Called first to make sure they had one. Get there, check em out, funds are tight, he is supplementing the heating bill with firewood. Figures the 200$ savings on heat bill will pay for the saw. He is HAPPY now. Get back & were checking things out: First,they must run these things in the factory,TANK SMELLED OF FUEL. Second, owners man. says Champ plug RCJ7Y, installed from factory is a Champ RCJ4?????? Yes the box was sealed,we tore it open. I should not have let him see this thread. NOW HE WANTS TO DO THE MUFFLER MOD. Go for it or wait?:cheers:

Six pages of threads on a Poulan never thought I would see that on AS!
Maybe this 330 will open a few closed minds? I would love to have one too. I have two of the Cheaper modern plasticky Poulans and they work fine.

I ordered 2 330's today and they should be in on Friday. I don't even know what they look like. Someone on this thread has to at least have a photo. I figured for two bills it would be hard to lose money on them. I have cheaper 2150 that has made me a ton of money this should even be better.

If I don't like the saw that much I have several brother in laws that like to cut wood a couple of times a year.

Interesting! So when were these saws actually made? I have glanced at some new poulans at a farm store and was not impressed to say the least , but these 330s must be different!

I last seen these for sale at least 2 years ago. There must have been a stock of them somewhere and Poulan might have got some epa credits or something to move them out?

My best guess anyway.

BTW, my local TSC didn't have any today when I stopped by there. Just as well as it probably saved me $200. (and I don't really need one) :cheers:

Maybe we should all write to Poulan like I suggested two years ago (http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=55652) and tell them we want the PP330 to be mass produced again, and other saws like it. Cause the thing is, these ones at Tractor Supply WILL run out eventually.

If your going to do that, ask for the larger displacement Super 380 instead.

While your at it go ahead and see if they will make some more 5400's:givebeer:

pro 330

hey all,
I have a poulan pro 330 that i picked up used about a year ago. The manufacturer tag on it lists that it is a 60cc saw, not the 54cc motor you guys are talking about, and was produced in 2003. The saw is great, never had a problem, and definitely has no problem with the 22" bar.
I highly recommend this saw for the price.....can't beat it.

hey all,
I have a poulan pro 330 that i picked up used about a year ago. The manufacturer tag on it lists that it is a 60cc saw, not the 54cc motor you guys are talking about, and was produced in 2003. The saw is great, never had a problem, and definitely has no problem with the 22" bar.
I highly recommend this saw for the price.....can't beat it.

You must have a 380 with 330 side covers and yes that saw will run 22'' bar with no problem.:cheers:

Made some vids

OK boys, finally got the opportunity to make a couple videos today. So without further ado here is my Poulan 335 Pro in 14" dry Douglas Fir:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPg7QxER3rM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPg7QxER3rM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It has a 16" .325 setup, full-house full-chisel, filed round by hand with a guide. It's been filed back a couple times since the rakers were taken down so it could stand to be a bit more aggressive there - it definitely has the spare torque in wood of this size. You can see the two 3/8" holes I drilled in the front of the muffler to open it up a bit. They're virtually straight out from the exhaust port so they really help with restriction. Notice the smoke/steam coming from the log after the cuts though! I do plan on piping the holes once I get access to a MIG/TIG welder. Don't feel like messing with that with my stick welder like I did with my 395... :censored:

Up next, just for comparison's sake, is my Husky 50:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofKgtjGeUFY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofKgtjGeUFY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's also setup with .325, but on a 20" bar. Same full-house chain and filing profile, though it has maybe 40% cutter life remaining while the Poulan has probably 80%. In my mind, the resulting narrower kerf and improved gullet space for chip clearance should make this chain cut slightly easier than the Poulan's. This used to be my go-to small firewood saw before getting the Poulan early this year. It hasn't seen much use since then. It is pretty old and tired, but still runs great, though it could probably use a set of rings and a bit of port work to bring it back to life.

In the end the fastest cut time for the Poulan was about 14 seconds, and the Husky was about 18. Of course there is a 6cc difference, but the 50 was the closest competition I had for it of similar vintage. Not sure the Stihl 031 or 041 would really be applicable here, tho I already have videos of them anyway. Either way the Poulan holds its RPMs much better in the cut than the Husky, and IMO has a better overall feel, not to mention the sound - love that idle bark. Personally I would rather have the 20" setup on the Poulan and the 16" on the Husky, which I may try sometime. I also think it would be happier with a 3/8" setup, but I can't remember right now whether it has a spur or rim drive - never had to take it apart that far yet since getting it from the pawnshop. Not bad for a $90 saw. Right now I'm trying to chase down a small tank vent issue, which is the cause of the run-on you can hear after the last cut. The vent will intermittently start to stick, but it isn't often and usually resolves itself in a couple seconds without having to shut the saw off or crack the fuel cap. Honestly haven't put much time into this yet though; the problem only manifested itself a couple days ago.

Last edited:
Back