Tractor Supply selling 54cc New Poulan Pro saws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck,
did some serious research on the used 330 i picked up before i bought it ( like i do with every single thing i buy), and it is in fact a 330, not 380. Don't know why this year saw is 6cc higher than the newer ones. Someone once told me that they replaced this 60cc model with the "timbermaster" or some clever name like that. I've also been told that the 330 i have smokes the "timbersomething" hands down in performance and quality.
Either way, can't beat pickin up this saw for $85. The thing had barely been used at all.....an old man received it as an x-mas present and decided it was too much saw for him. I think I made out good !

Here are some pictures of the one I got last week. Not much use on it yet but there will be this weekend.

Plug

Just out of curiosity,all you guys that just got one of these new old saws,could you check to see what plug came in it? Want to get a spare plug, but the owners man. calls for a different one. THANKS.

I will be using my new 330 mainly for limbing and was wondering what would cut faster with a 16" bar 3/8 or .325?

Do you think this saw has the sack to run a 8Tooth rim with 3/8 and a 16" bar?

What clutch removal tool fits this clutch and where would I buy one?

I will be using my new 330 mainly for limbing and was wondering what would cut faster with a 16" bar 3/8 or .325?

Do you think this saw has the sack to run a 8Tooth rim with 3/8 and a 16" bar?

What clutch removal tool fits this clutch and where would I buy one?

3/8's or .325 is up for debate. Dropping to a 16" bar, I'm sure that 3/8's would be fine. My informal testing on my Poulan Pro 365 which is a similar but 60cc saw found no real difference between 3/8's 7 tooth and .325 8 tooth.

How many stock 64cc saws would run a 8 tooth 3/8's setup? None that I know of.

Cutting hardwood, I myself would probably go .325 pitch on it, mostly because K041 mount bars seem to be eaiser to find in .325.

The clutch removal tool should be part # 530031116 and you can get it at most any small engine shop that can get Poulan parts. Online, off hand I know they can be found on ebay, baileys and Calvin may have them also.

Buy it locally if you can to avoid shipping charges as there cheap, less then $5 and that would most likely be less then the shipping charge.

Twenty years ago you couldn't give me a .325 chain set-up. I was convinced that all my saws had to use 3/8" with full chisel chain. I've come to really like 3/8 LP and .325", and am amazed at how fast they cut and how much power it frees up on smaller displacement saws.

The 330 is a pretty big saw, I can't image less than an 18" bar on it, even for limbing. The spike is also very long and you will effectively loose about 2" of whatever bar length is used on it anyhow.

I've been running ours every day since we purchased it. It's getting well seated in and running much better at idle. It was stalling quite a bit, but seems like it's over that stage. Still haven't quite found the best settings for the carb, but it seems to like the "L" screw set leaner than most other saws I've worked with....Cliff

I'm going to grab a couple of them on my next trip to our local TSC store, if there are any left. Monday there were 9 left on display after I grabbed one up. I may have a couple available, already picking one up for a board member......Cliff

No, the tail is too large on it. I already spoke of this earlier. If you want to change it and can't find a K041 mount bar in the size you want then you will want to use a K095 mount Husky bar, but you will have to file the adjuster holes up to the bar grove so it will oil through the adjuster holes.

Do you think that you could post a pic of this mod?

Haven't posted in a while but after reading some of this, I thought I needed to.I own a 330 Poulan, a 262xp , and an 044 Stihl. The Poulan has the 22" bar with a .375 full-comp single-drag Carlton chain, the same as the other two saws.The oiler runs if the saw is running on my model by design, it doesn't stop oiling, but doesn't puke oil everywhere.That is my only problem with the saw.It starts easy and has good low-end grunt.I use it mostly for trimming.It has a 13,800 MAX RPM sticker on the filter cover.Mine is turning 13,000 with a clean filter.Most of the parts on the saw are made in Sweden.It is not pretty, doesn't have the zip of the XP or the torque of the Stihl, its a smaller saw and trims really nice,handles well and will cut big wood if needed.It will stomp any saw at the new purchase price posted [$200].I would also add that I've used this saw in all types of weather including pouring rain and freezing temps. with ethanol and water in the mix and it keeps on ticking.I honestly didn't think it would hold up but for maybe a season.It's been four years now.

Do you think that you could post a pic of this mod?

I think I still have one here, I'll have to look tomorrow.

In the meantime just picture this, the Husky adjuster hole is round. You just file straight up on the adjuster hole till it breaks through the bottom of the bar groove and the adjuster hole is now kinda oval.

Haven't posted in a while but after reading some of this, I thought I needed to.I own a 330 Poulan, a 262xp , and an 044 Stihl. The Poulan has the 22" bar with a .375 full-comp single-drag Carlton chain, the same as the other two saws.The oiler runs if the saw is running on my model by design, it doesn't stop oiling, but doesn't puke oil everywhere.That is my only problem with the saw.It starts easy and has good low-end grunt.I use it mostly for trimming.It has a 13,800 MAX RPM sticker on the filter cover.Mine is turning 13,000 with a clean filter.Most of the parts on the saw are made in Sweden.It is not pretty, doesn't have the zip of the XP or the torque of the Stihl, its a smaller saw and trims really nice,handles well and will cut big wood if needed.It will stomp any saw at the new purchase price posted [$200].I would also add that I've used this saw in all types of weather including pouring rain and freezing temps. with ethanol and water in the mix and it keeps on ticking.I honestly didn't think it would hold up but for maybe a season.It's been four years now.

Wow, quite the testimonial there!

I hope this saw lasts me a while, its been fun to run so far. Even though it's my "big" saw.

I went by my local TSC today and only found wild things and wood sharks.

Unfortunately only a handful of the stores carry them due to it being a NOS item. Eventually they will all be gone...Poulan needs to start making these saws (or something similar) again. Obviously we would buy them, everyone here that has one loves the thing.

It's highly unlikely you will see another run of these saws. Ever tightening emission regs would require significant changes to make them compatable. These saws have no strato-charging, or catalyst, etc, and it's highly unlikely they would pass emission testing anyplace.

I'm still not sure how they got away with releasing them for sale, as it's nearly 2010, and these saws are 2007 models?

I'm going to grab up a couple of them and store them, maybe in a few years they'll be worth considerably more than the purchase price, or at least I'll get a few dollars mark up for my efforts. Better than the stock market right now!.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back