tractor vs skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodfarmer

woodfarmer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
i must be some kind of p---sy, but i would never run a tractor in the winter without a cab, drive ten miles down a frozen road in january then get back to me, 8 years with tractor in the bush never scratched a window(knock on wood), that kioti is the perfect tractor i've never heard anything bad about them, what model # is it, 50-60 hp?

Barnie

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
i must be some kind of p---sy, but i would never run a tractor in the winter without a cab, drive ten miles down a frozen road in january then get back to me, 8 years with tractor in the bush never scratched a window(knock on wood), that kioti is the perfect tractor i've never heard anything bad about them, what model # is it, 50-60 hp?

its a dk65 65 horse power I believe and it comes with new set of agricultural tires that are not pictured and it also has air. does your tractor have skid plates on its underside, what about hydraulic hoses do you ever break any by getting them hooked on branchs or whatever.

FLCM

ArboristSite Member
I've got a Kioti LK3054 with 1300 hrs and have nothing but good things to say about it. What trans does the dk65 have?

mimilkman1

mimilkman1

ArboristSite Guru
its a dk65 65 horse power I believe and it comes with new set of agricultural tires that are not pictured and it also has air. does your tractor have skid plates on its underside, what about hydraulic hoses do you ever break any by getting them hooked on branchs or whatever.

Iwould put the agricultural tires on it before doing much in the woods with it. The woods I cut in can get pretty mucky and those turf tires would "load up" with snow or mud pretty quickly. I have traveled in the woods quite a bit with a International utility tractor that is pretty short to the ground and have never had a problem with hitting the oil pan. As far as the hydraulic hoses go, if they did stick out a little you could use zip ties and draw them in closer to the frame if need be. I would worry about valve stems more than skid plates, I haven't had a problem personally, but the loggers that we had in last year had the valve stems covered with a piece of 1 inch pipe welded to the rim and a cap over the end. A cheap preventive measure to have, tires can be expensive to fix esp if you have chloride in them. Not to mention the down time involved in fixing it if you have a good day to cut.

Kyle

hickslawns

hickslawns

ArboristSite Member
I too have a Kioti 3054 and while I haven't had it long it has impressed me. I thought it might be under powered but so far so good. For logging it might be small, but for my personal firewood I should think it would not be a problem. Definately goes places my Bobcat will not due to half the weight. That Kioti DK65 would be a monster.

mysawmyrules

mysawmyrules

ArboristSite Operative
The nice thing about an 100 hp +/- ag tractor is that you can always find skidder tires and chains if it does get a little rough going. We have a 9030 Ford / New Holland and the older 276 Versatile that have skidder tires and chains for both and with no fenders on them they will go anywhere. Have seen them done up with duels all the way around as well. And that size of tractor can still be hauled on a smaller truck and trailer combo.
Jon W

Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
have you looked at the "farm tractor in the woodlot" thread in chainsaw, some great pictures

+1 an excellent thread that covers this very subject complete with loads of pix. Use the search function and check it out.
For a firewood bizz I would defo go for the tractor. It's way more versatile and can work in much tighter conditions than a skidder. You don't harvest huge logs for firewood either so a tractor just makes more sense.

FLCM

ArboristSite Member
unsure of trans type, why is there one better than the other??

It's all operator preference. Both are good transmissions but some find the manual shuttle shift to be an annoyance. The HST is supposed to be faster when shifting from forward to reverse so it would make loader work easier. I have the shuttle shift manual and once you get used to it you can run almost as fast as the hydro trans.

Latest posts