Trailer light question......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Need a connector to get from Point A to Point B.

Any ideas?

100_0198.jpg
[/IMG]

Shari

They sell an adapter at most RV stores. I believe I saw them at the Tractor store. I have several trailers,it makes it easy with the adapter.

Here is a pic. Not exactly like mine but it should give you the idea. The 4 way plugs into the back.:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/att...in-4-flat-adapter-wont-work-help-plz-7pin.gif

Heres a better picture:

http://saclandrover.niello.com/accessories.php?action=details&catalog_id=6097&category=233

While looking for a pic I saw several on fleabay. Hope this helps Dave

Last edited:
Shari your local farm& fleet should have those instock, I have also seen them at home depot , meanards and blows, tractor supply too. It is a common Item.

Beefie

Yeah, the connection on the truck is showing it's age. That 4-flat has to stay that style due to other trailers which have the same 4-flat. The new trailer has the 6 round and I'll be jeebered if I can find a 6 round/male end which connects to a 4-flat. I'll hit a local RV trailer store tomorrow.

Shari

Wooo I think we told you wrong. You will not find adapter to go from a vehicle 4 flat to a trailer 6 round. I would cut off the 6 round and put a 4 flat on it. the trailer dosn't have brakes right?

Beefie

Beefie - Correct - no brakes on the trailer. I'd really like to just find an adapter if I could. The wiring on this trailer is all that high-quality waterproof type wiring/lights. Plus, most of the wiring is internal. I don't know if you were speaking of ripping everything out or just changing the end connection. I've wired before so that's not a big deal.

Shari,you may have to make your own adapter. Im not sure Ive ever seen 4 flat to 6round. Or you could put a 6 round on the truck and get an adapter from 6 round to 4 flat for your other trailers. By the way,"whos"on first?:dizzy:

I all reality, you are gonna need to change the plug on your trailer. The adaptors they sell go from a big plug (truck side) to a smaller plug (trailer side), not the other way around.

You may be able to find a multi-plug that plugs into your truck wiring, that will have both a 6 prong and a 4 prong. It will replace your 4 wire on your truck now. These new "in-line" kits are a piece of cake.

Something like this:
TAP 7 RV blade to 6 round #4 flat Trailer Connector with Center Pin Electric Brake | Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment

But it should be made for your truck.

It is either this type of plug, or a re-wire on the new trailer.

Your not gonna find that kind of adaptor...I have looked....

Just wire the 4 flat to the trailer.The white is ground the brown is tail llamps the green I am pretty sure is rt turn and yellow is left turn, these (green and yellow) are also the stop/hazard lamps.

Replacing the plug is your best bet. There is no reason for a 6 prong plug on a trailer without brakes.

Yeah, the connection on the truck is showing it's age. That 4-flat has to stay that style due to other trailers which have the same 4-flat. The new trailer has the 6 round and I'll be jeebered if I can find a 6 round/male end which connects to a 4-flat. I'll hit a local RV trailer store tomorrow.

Shari

==

A Hopkins Towing Solution #47175, installed on tow vehicle will handle both plug styles...
or this
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=118700

another

http://www.towready.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1500&catID=1575&part=118700

use dealer locater to see if theres a dealer near you...

Last edited:
Call Uhaul

I had just a 4way on a truck a few years back. Rented a trailer from them that had a 6way and they sold me an adapter for 20$. It worked, but I wouldn't leave it like that but if you just need to get it home I would try them.

Well, as a follow up - As a veterinarian would say "I snipped it - no going back now." :)

I think I have a Fibber McGee thing going on here now. Existing wires are not the white, yellow, green brown combo I'm used to seeing. Argh!

Shari

Well, as a follow up - As a veterinarian would say "I snipped it - no going back now." :)

I think I have a Fibber McGee thing going on here now. Existing wires are not the white, yellow, green brown combo I'm used to seeing. Argh!

Shari
What I do is put a battery or charger on the front and ground it, then as each wire is touched too positive note which filiment in which light illuminates. There may be a better way but this works for me.

Latest posts

Back