Transformation of a 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be able to help you much on 028 history. I didn't even know they ever had a 42mm bore until tonight. I thought they were all 44mm or 46mm. I also didn't know some didn't have a chain brake. Now I find out there are case specific mufflers. Quite the history.

I am pretty sure that this rule of thumb is correct, but feel free to correct me if I have remembered it incorrectly.

If the handguard has a "window" or "windows" in it, then it has a chainbrake. If it is solid, then no chainbrake.

Brad,
Did you take the saw completely apart (split it) and run it through the dishwasher to get it that clean or what?

I did everything except split the case. I leave the cylinder bolted one while I clean the case in my parts washer. That keeps the nasties out of the case. Once the case is clean, I remove the P&C. I rarely ever use the dishwasher since getting this parts washer. It's a lot faster for me to clean it by hand.

170683d1296659682-stihl-028-2-small-jpg

Here is my 028 46mm super chainbrake and funky shroud.
Needs a p/c

Hmmm i was just curious late 80s?
Please excuse me for butting in, but I'd say before 1980. Reasoning is this, I bought my father a new after I started working full-time in summer 1980. The 028 I bought is a Wood Boss w/ electronic ignition, plastic tank and a chain brake. Maybe that will help your timeline.

Please excuse me for butting in, but I'd say before 1980. Reasoning is this, I bought my father a new after I started working full-time in summer 1980. The 028 I bought is a Wood Boss w/ electronic ignition, plastic tank and a chain brake. Maybe that will help your timeline.

No kidding! I just figured the style it would be 80s. Thanks

Good job on the saw! I bet the metal tank was replaced with a plastic one at some point. I recently got a very nice old 28WB 42mm. The piton skirt was worn badly{thin} not scored. It had the old metal screen air filter that must of left too grit in. It run fine but had moderated piston slap. Could not find a good 42mm piston so I put a 028s piston and jug on it. I did have to grind the case a bit so the piston could drop down. I never had to do this when swappping a 44mm to 46mm. I did a mild port job on it and it runs great. There are many versions of the 028, in regards to the mufflers, clutch, case, starter, carbs ect. One unique one is, the clutch that disenguages from the crankshaft when the brake is activated.

I did everything except split the case. I leave the cylinder bolted one while I clean the case in my parts washer. That keeps the nasties out of the case. Once the case is clean, I remove the P&C. I rarely ever use the dishwasher since getting this parts washer. It's a lot faster for me to clean it by hand.

She cleaned up well. What parts washer and cleaner do you use? Looks to be very effective.

I have four 028's and only one is complete, so it should be quite the adventure figuring out the subtle differences between them. Looks like I have four models with the complete one being a very clean SuperAVWoodbossElectronicQuickstop. The pic is before I cleaned it up.

170697d1296669128-028s-jpg

Still need to finish sorting through boxes to see exactly which other variations I have. Should be fun and is/are the next project(s).

Poge

Last edited:
I was wondering the same.

What kinda fluid you running tru your parts cleaner? Looks good Brad....Always awesome work you do! :clap:

Someone asked about the chainbrake on this saw. It doesn't have one, and doesn't appear to ever had. Did early 028s come this way?

url] -M.jpg

Yes, it needs a new sprocket.
1175123021_nZFBg-M.jpg

Yeah, the early 028s came with or without brake. It could added as on option. Thats the early style muffler too. that saw as probably made in 1979 or early in 1980. that muffler can be hard to locate as its NLA and case specific.

Nice job, Brad!

You can trust the arrow on that 42mm piston.....The first one I took apart, I thought it must have been mis-marked, but all the 42mm 028's run the ring end gaps forward.

It is weird the first time you see it though!

Back