transplanting??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowaowb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any advice on transplanting seedlings direct from timber to yard? I have heard of it being done with some success in the spring & fall. Any helpful advice would be welcomed. Thanks

Any advice on transplanting seedlings direct from timber to yard? I have heard of it being done with some success in the spring & fall. Any helpful advice would be welcomed. Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usually recommended is when the tree is dormant but I transplanted a small (about 5') cherry fruit tree when it was in full bloom and never lost a blossom but I took a root ball about the size of grandmas wash tub.

A month later the grasshoppers had killed it stone dead.

I transplanted 6 apple trees in my yard about 9 years ago from a buddys field. they are still alive and growing but small. there where 4 I saved for my mother in law and tossed them off the side of the truck behind my cabin and they where never picked up. they are way bigger than the ones I planted and had apples on them last year. not that it matters just thought I would tell ya all:)

We tried to transplant 8 foot trees a few years ago and about half survived I was hoping for a better ratio these time. The wind on the bigger ones was brutal to them. We were hoping for that the smaller ones would take it better.

Check the soil ph and type in your yard and make sure they are appropriate for the species.

Make sure you take a good amount of the soil surrounding the roots with the sapling and incorporate that with the hole when ya plop it in.

There are a number of root growth stimulator products on the market, some say they work others say they don't. I dunno, I always just used 12-12-12 on the soil surface and pruned the sapling back a couple inches like I do Blueberry bushes.

Timing is important to reduce shock. No way around it though, trees aren't really mobile, and seem to figure out quickly that they ain't where they used to be. Removing and transplanting when the sap is down and they are dormant is best, but you can get away with it early in the spring.

Make sure to water the ####ens out of them for the first couple of months, as some of the fine roots will be lost in the transplant, and they will need to make up for the deficeit with what they have, untill they grow new.
Keep the soil moist but don't over do it.

Sorry no particulars, but it's what worked for me transplanting Maples and a couple Oaks, and the many thousands of Blueberry bushes.

Best of luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back