tree boring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it does look more like a red oak. I would probe with a thin wire like a survey flag first--noninvasive, easy, just poke it in the cavities.:monkey: Rubber hammer after that.

does look like a grade change--when was that wood wall put in?

the below is from the attached. :popcorn:

 Trunk flare. A most vital area to inspect is the trunk flare, where the trunk expands or “flares” into the structural roots. If you cannot find the flare, remove mulch and soil and any small girdling roots until it is visible. Roots that encircle all or part of the trunk are known as stem-girdling roots. These not only damage plant tissues and circulation, but they can impair stability. They are commonly found on container-grown trees, but can occur on almost any tree. After the end of a root is cut off, new roots can branch off sideways. This growth in time may girdle the stem.
 Trunk. If there is a hole in the trunk or root collar, you can gain information about that cavity by probing with a tool such as a screwdriver or a tile probe, a long, narrow fiberglass rod with a “T” handle. A ruler or yardstick will give you some idea how extensive the cavity is. If the trunk sounds very hollow but there is no soft spot or opening to probe and measure, then more advanced equipment may be used to determine how much sound wood is in the stem. Drilling and coring can measure the sound wood in one small area, so many holes must be made to get a picture of the whole tree. Drilling and coring invade healthy tissue, potentially spreading decay and decreasing stability. Practicing on fallen trees can provide valuable experience in the use of these methods.
Devices using radar and sound waves are not as invasive, but they cost a lot more. Trunks can also be tested by pulling on the tree, using the Statics Integrated Method.

All of these methods and devices require experience to interpret the results well enough to communicate the risk to the tree owner. Deciding how closely to inspect a tree is always a professional judgment, different for each assignment and each tree. Cavities over two-thirds of the diameter are sometimes considered “hazardous” and a reason for removal, but with close monitoring and care, trees with cavities over 80% of the diameter have been managed for many years.

title & wall

Arbor Pro:
I agree Tree Boring is a bit mundane but Tree Exciting isn't exactly eye-popping either. How about Debbie does Trees?

Treeseer:
I removed the dirt covering the root flare 15 or so years ago, and built the makeshift retaining wall you see in the picture out of pieces of pressure-treated 4x6 wood posts.

Arbor Pro:
I agree Tree Boring is a bit mundane but Tree Exciting isn't exactly eye-popping either. How about Debbie does Trees?

Interesting name for a tree care company if the owner's name is 'Debbie'...

...Bunch of cheerleaders toting chainsaws rather than pompoms - would OSHA make them wear chaps? :monkey:

Latest posts

Back