Tree guy sayings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best thing about this thread is seeing that some of these old saying are nation wide, like MD is east coast, but he knows the 'career tree' saying. I havent heard that one in a long dam time. That was an old line clearance one here. Frank Moewer had the best of em but I cant think of any right now. @Bigs, you ever work ROW with old Frank-O? Guy was a legend, someone on here has to of known him. So many good one I keep forgetting all day thinkin of this thread...., I told you squirls can climb pole saws dumbass!---- If you feel rain on your helmet, but it aint rainin' dont look up!-If you cant identify poison ivy, you best bring some T-P to work with ya!:hmm3grin2orange:

The best thing about this thread is seeing that some of these old saying are nation wide, like MD is east coast, but he knows the 'career tree' saying. I havent heard that one in a long dam time. That was an old line clearance one here. Frank Moewer had the best of em but I cant think of any right now. @Bigs, you ever work ROW with old Frank-O? Guy was a legend, someone on here has to of known him. So many good one I keep forgetting all day thinkin of this thread...., I told you squirls can climb pole saws dumbass!---- If you feel rain on your helmet, but it aint rainin' dont look up!-If you cant identify poison ivy, you best bring some T-P to work with ya!:hmm3grin2orange:

No, I'm too far down state I think.

Ran into my old mentor today out on the ROW though, he might know him or of him. He's been around this biz for 25 years and the utility forester down in this area for about 20 of those. I was in between estimates after lunch and about ready to see about knocking out a small job when I get this call.

"I just had the power company cut down a tree and they are leaving the wood, do you pick up wood and grind stumps?"

"Yes I do, was it the power company or some contractors?"

"Oh no, it was the power boys for sure. When can you come up and have a look?"

"Are they still there?"

"They just left."

"I'll be right up."

I missed them by a quarter mile. They saw me give them a wave as they turned down the big road headed for the shop, but thought I was just a happy wood grabber. Which was true..$$$.

I gave him a buzz and we are going to catch up next week. He wants some cards to give out to coop members looking for tree work. They've been taken care of my vermeer 1400 with a deere and a winch for me...I got dibs..lol.

I'll ask him. Where did Frank work mostly?

Frank was an old ticket crew badass from way back. If hes still alive hes gotta be pushin 80. He was still tryin to do trees a few back, but his wife finally made him stop. Even the young bux had to eat there wheaties if they knew they were workin under Frank. Never saw him in action personally, but from what I heard from more than a few, the guy took down 3-4 100ft cottonwoods in and over phases all day everyday like they were flops. He was one of those sidework kings. Knocked on the door when my old man retired wanting to buy our 200+, had cash in hand, pops wouldnt sell him the machine cuz he cash raided him so much over the years. He worked the North shore and Lake and Cook counties mostly, to the best of my knowlage. I would have to ask my minions for more info. Every now and then, I still get customers of his calling me , just cuz hes not doing it anymore, guy was around a LONG time. Someone here must know him.

Last edited:
Frank was an old ticket crew badass from way back. If hes still alive hes gotta be pushin 80. He was still tryin to do trees a few back, but his wife finally made him stop. Even the young bux had to eat there wheaties if they knew they were workin under Frank. Never saw him in action personally, but from what I heard from more than a few, the guy took down 3-4 100ft cottonwoods in and over phases all day everyday like they were flops. He was one of those sidework kings. Knocked on the door when my old man retired wanting to buy our 200+, had cash in hand, pops wouldnt sell him the machine cuz he cash raided him so much over the years. He worked the North shore and Lake and Cook counties mostly, to the best of my knowlage. I would have to ask my minions for more info. Every now and then, I still get customers of his calling me , just cuz hes not doing it anymore, guy was around a LONG time. Someone here must know him.

Reminds me of stories I've heard about an old man down this way, I'll ask, but I'll bet if my friend doesn't know him, his old boss might. The forefathers all had to be hardcore, they were the machines.

-You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run!

-Thats ok I did that my first day too!

- Do the best you can and I will be by to fix it up later!

- Gettin chippy with it

- Pecker pole

- Squirrel hotel

- Got the office with the view!

- One cut at the bottem is the quickest!

- "wow you guys sure know what you are doing" . . . Actually its our first job, howd we do?!

- Here is your price. . . "oh I was thinking like half that" . . well we also rent climbing gear by the hour but the crew and I get to sit, drink beer and watch!

- Why dont I pay you to take your tree down!

- "Tell you what if you take my tree down for free you can keep all the wood!"

Reminds me of stories I've heard about an old man down this way, I'll ask, but I'll bet if my friend doesn't know him, his old boss might. The forefathers all had to be hardcore, they were the machines.

Those old timers would make these young punks go running and crying for a mini or a mexi. They didnt even have log carts when those guys started. ----- How are you going to get that big old thing down? I have a spray can of 'Tree 'B' Gone' in the truck. @ Big, nothing fazed tho old timers cuz they came up with old consrtuction copper primaries, they were almost all old Davey.

Last edited:
terrorist topper

chipper queen- wont drag, just feed

do the good work

that was f'ing NINJA-whenever someone does a amazing/impossible move

gonna ride the bull- when ya launch something big off and you know the reaction forces are gonna give ya a big one

windshield warrior- that guy that always volunteers to "help" go pick something up or move a truck

this isnt mine at all, but I love "treetarded"

fakie 180- refers to the guy who convinces you he is a god of arboriculture , then sucks horribly bad

"Southern Green maple" In response to a nice old lady who asked what species of maple her sweetgum tree was...she was so proud of her garden skills, I didn't have the heart...except that of the tree...pretty lumber..

"We are having a safety meeting" I used to say that when we were at the bar.

"We are having a safety meeting" I used to say that when we were at the bar.

SAFTEY MEETING!!!, yelled before everyone climbed into the back of the chiptruck. Then some little old lady would walk up and say, 'hello?, are you in there?, I need an estimate, and i think your truck is on fire." God I miss those days. Long time ago. We had so much fun before we had to grow up. I hope a log falls on me b4 im jeffs age,,,

SAFTEY MEETING!!!, yelled before everyone climbed into the back of the chiptruck. Then some little old lady would walk up and say, 'hello?, are you in there?, I need an estimate, and i think your truck is on fire." God I miss those days. Long time ago. We had so much fun before we had to grow up. I hope a log falls on me b4 im jeffs age,,,

Who is jeff?
Jeff :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back