Tree hitch safety line??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the best way to give yourself a safety line to a tree with either too small of or no branches? Is there a good way to hitch a safety line to the tree once you are up there?
Thanks

Yes, on spurs, I forgot to mention that before. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious or simpler. Thank you.

I use an adjustable friction saver. Just make sure that the rings don't touch each other. In other words, if you're on a 5 inch spar, shorten the friction saver down to about 4 inches. That also helps the angle of the rope by making it two 90 degree angles instead of one 180 degree angle. If you have a standard friction saver, cross it over itself on the spar at least once so it doesn't slide down. Or as BC WetCoast says, use a bowline and an 8. If you use a running bowline, and you leave a long tail on it, and if there are no limbs on the spar, you can rappel down the rope to your next cut, lanyard in, pull the tail to bring the bowline down, then re set it and start over. Assuming you have dropped the top and are blocking it down.

Back