Tree Huggers Part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some Douglas-firs about a hundred yards from where I sleep, but they don't get nearly as big in the sandy soils of Stevens Point! I did some corrective pruning on them, but it's too late when the codominance should have been addressed years ago. They're about 40' at this point.

Ah Ha!!! Found a tree worthy of a big hug!!!

It's on a 5 acre lot just off the beach near Alki Point in West Seattle, mighty prime real estate. Sadly,my rich client, who I've worked for on and off for 25 years, is building a bunch of homes in this awesome forest of mostly maple, alder and madrona. The Big leaf maple is 20' 2" in circumference, 103 feet in crown spread at its widest, and maybe 80-90 feet tall!

And wiley_p has found one I have to go see and photograph. He says it may not have an impressive a crown, but due to some unusual root and butt structure, may be 15 feet wide!

If the tree has to go, i'm hoping we find some valuable figured wood out of those impressive scaffolds and huge gnarled trunk.

hey RB, make sure you tell your compatriot something I am certain I read somewhere... " once a prop, ALWAYS a prop" dont let him hold that limb up too long or he wont be able to let go!

Sorry for the big file sizes, I'm having trouble being satisfied with the resolution and sharpness of smaller files...and trying to find the right ACDSee tools that are optimum. Any ideas, guys? This pic started out as a 5.9 mp jpeg!!! The new 8 mp Canon Pro! camera is way awesome!

geez RB, an aerial huggin without a second tie in, much less a first tie in.. what an example you set.

Aw jq, you crazy canuck, can't you let an old man have some fun...Remember, I've been known to free solo 10 degree steep rock climbs!:rolleyes:

And hey, go to bed, ya bum..or i'll sic that smart gm on ya...ya know the one from almost quebec....:blob2:

you guys get all the good looking trees! all we got are stinking gums.nothing from your way or european over 200yrs old

rb,
Try saving the files with the extension .jpg. I tried it on your pics and it reduced them to a third the size. Later, Roger in VA.

Originally posted by rb_in_va
rb,
Try saving the files with the extension .jpg. I tried it on your pics and it reduced them to a third the size. Later, Roger in VA.
He's avoiding the compression that that would do. Just be thankful it isn't in a RAW format.

mike maas... that pic was taken in a place called Lady Dixon park just outside Belfast!

Lots of nice trees in there... that was taken in amongst lots of big redwoods (as you can see) ...they have actually used one tree that was cleared and created these giant carved cones and acorns... we are talkin like 8 feet long and 3 feet diameter here!

I have no pics sorry but I assure you they are cool!

Latest posts

Back