Tree Huggers Part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Gypo Logger
What is the origin of the BB, is it a glorified ornamental, like was it naturalized, introduced and can it reproduce on it's own or must it be planted from a whip or seedling?

Most of the reddish beech are a variety of Fagus sylvatica usually 'Purpuria', or copper beech. 'Atropunica' has deep purple.

There are dozens of var. nad CVS of Euro beech, but F. grandifolia (americanna) onaly has a few regional var. though some literiture disputes thatt. I've seen no CVS for American beech at all.

So nobody's hugged a tree lately?

aaf_whatthehell.gif

Yes. Horrible huh? A whole street lined with these things. many you can see through.

Everything carved out, then painted. Notice the fungi by my left hand?

ok, I'll post in another thread

Alright, here's mine. I asked the guys I work with to take the foto and they all looked at me as if I was abit wierd. Then they realized that I am and to the shot.
This was a big ole Laurel Oak. Probably about 8' in diameter. removed it today 'cause of internal decay.
Liked the tree, sad to take it down. She was a beauty of a beast.

went for a day off today. Ended up at a place called Capilano Suspension Bridge.. its in Vancouver and they have a new attraction called the tree walk. suspension bridges slung between large douglas fir and western red cedar. was a hoot. pictures to follow.

my wife (blue shirt), my cousin (visitng from the motherland, Holland) and his lady (red shirt). in the tree tops.

MB. The brackets do go around the tree fullly. Douglas fir is known for its thick, coarse bark, it doesnt seem to be causing undue pressure or damage to the trees

hey tim in SC,
just looking through this post and saw you angel oak pic...i used to live on james island,sc right down the road from that tree. i actually miss being able to visit the think. hopefully that green space around the tree is still being preserved by public opinion. wish every guy on this post could see it. one of those trees that makes you laugh out loud because you cant belive how incredible it is.

Back