Tree ID - Can I Transplant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownNJ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not sure what this is, its a type of dwarf evergreen (pretty common around here).

Can this be easily transplanted safely? I have 2 of these I would like to move from the back of the house to the front yard. They are about 5 ft tall, which I think is pretty mature, but I have only been in the house 2 months, so thats a guess!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

It is a dwarf alberta spruce, if you can get about a 24" root ball you should be ok, they do transplant better in the spring though. If it does not work you should be able to get a new one that is 3-3.5 foot tall for about 70.00-80.00 dollars. Picea glauca conica is the latin name.

Alberta spruce. Nice tree. Make sure it isn't dry around the root ball. Put a deep spade edge around the base of the branch spread. Then dig a troff about the width of the spade around the outside of the first edge. Only need that troff on one side. When you can get the spade under the root ball spear under it to cut the roots. Then carefully pull it out of the hole. Once in it's new home keep it wet for a least two weeks. Make sure the first watering completely fills the hole you dug for it. PM me if you want a contact #. I work in Northern NJ.

No kidding about making sure the root ball is not dry.

I tried to salvage several from homes where I pruned. But all were dry.

The root balls always fractured apart on those dry ones, and they don't have a substantial fine root system to hold the ball together.

So you need to moisten the ball, so it gums-together a bit - pliable, but not muddy.

Back