Tree ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmezz88

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anybody possibly ID this tree from these pics. All help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160612_100643.jpg
    20160612_100643.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 20160612_100628.jpg
    20160612_100628.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
the tops have already been hacked off by the power company about 3 years ago... are these trees know to be brittle?

If the undersides of the leaves are fuzzy and white, then they are white poplar (Populus alba). White poplars are colonizers in that they put up new shoots from the roots and create a colony of trees. I've seen shoots in lawns 65' away (and around the corner of the house) from the parent tree.

Nasty tree to have in your yard.

I'm convinced by just the pictures alone (mature/juvenile bark, shape, color and underside appearance of leaf) it's white poplar. There's enough of those awful bastards around here I know one when I see it. Like.. 99% sure.

the tops have already been hacked off by the power company about 3 years ago... are these trees know to be brittle?
That means you're in for a dangerous removal if you plan on climbing it. Its weak wood. it tends to just POP. Especially if there's any extra top weight from excessive sprouting from the topping. That lean is not stacking things in your favor either. Nor the fact that it's got very little taper. They're fast growing, and chances are, that one's a reacher.. too heavy. If you're going to rig into it... Guy it. If there's another tree to tie your climbing line into, do it.

That piece of junk looks as good a candidate for stem blowout as I've ever seen, considering the species.

That means you're in for a dangerous removal if you plan on climbing it. Its weak wood. it tends to just POP. Especially if there's any extra top weight from excessive sprouting from the topping. That lean is not stacking things in your favor either. Nor the fact that it's got very little taper. They're fast growing, and chances are, that one's a reacher.. too heavy. If you're going to rig into it... Guy it. If there's another tree to tie your climbing line into, do it.

That piece of junk looks as good a candidate for stem blowout as I've ever seen, considering the species.

I don't think I'm going to be climbing this one. I have only been climbing for a little more than 3 years so I feel a little under qualified to take this tree on by my self. My buddy that i do side work for had a bad accident in a tree last month and broke his wrist so he's out of the picture for a little bit. I don't want to jump into to something too technical or too dangerous on my own. I have heard some very bad things about poplars but I have never had to climb and rig one out. I think I'm going to leave this one for someone with a bucket.

I don't think I'm going to be climbing this one. I have only been climbing for a little more than 3 years so I feel a little under qualified to take this tree on by my self. My buddy that i do side work for had a bad accident in a tree last month and broke his wrist so he's out of the picture for a little bit. I don't want to jump into to something too technical or too dangerous on my own. I have heard some very bad things about poplars but I have never had to climb and rig one out. I think I'm going to leave this one for someone with a bucket.
3 years? The climber i work with daily has been climbing 3 years and handles anything put in front of him! Been that way for awhile. Those trees look pretty easy, already missing the tops, half your job is done.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm just over complicating things in my head lol. Two decent size branches got to be roped down and thats about it. The rest is going to be bombed down, dirt drive way underneath the tree. Im not uncomfortable with my skill capacity, just the fact that poplar wood is very brittle. I guess i'd be alright, its not like I would be blocking the spar down...

Those trees look pretty easy, already missing the tops, half your job is done.

You guys deal with a lot of white poplars out west? Topped poplars are dangerous as ****. White poplars are KNOWN around here for stem blowout and barber chairs with lean and top weight. We deal with them DAILY in these parts. It's one tree I know a lot about. I'm not saying they can't be done. I'm saying see them for what they are. One of the most unpredictable **** trees around. Use caution, and have a good game plan. That's all I was trying to get across.

Bummer. Use the fishing pole technique if your limbs are of any size. If you have to swing limbs over things... Use rip cuts. Face cuts will let you down everytime.

You guys deal with a lot of white poplars out west? Topped poplars are dangerous as ****. White poplars are KNOWN around here for stem blowout and barber chairs with lean and top weight. We deal with them DAILY in these parts. It's one tree I know a lot about. I'm not saying they can't be done. I'm saying see them for what they are. One of the most unpredictable **** trees around. Use caution, and have a good game plan. That's all I was trying to get across.
Yep I do plenty. I have 4 bigguns left in my back yard one of wich the top died out on me this year... already removed 5 on my property.
I don't do them every day but I can't count them on my fingers and toes even if I use yours.

That wasn't a poke. It was a legitimate question. We really do deal with them daily. I've seen "healthy" ones fail. I've had rig points fail, anchors fail. I hate the no good bastards. No joke.. if they are lacking taper and have lean.. them stem will blow if you add any extra weight. Multiply that tenfold if they're top heavy due to **** pruning.

Back