Tree leaning, narrow landing zone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would use a throw line toss it over the tree about a little more then center take a heavy bull rope like 3/4in or more no less tie a running bowline around the tree. make a bowline on a bight on the other end of the rope and hook it on a 4x4 truck by the trailor hitch. engage the 4x4 in low and just pull that sucker right into your yard by up rooting it. no climbing or cutting untill tree is down and in your yard. its as simple and safe as that and will cost much less than calling a tree company. no big deal no big bill:clap:

ummm, it's a backyard tree

Why is no-one talking about pulling it back up?
It hasn't gone that far over, excavate the roots on the heaved side, clean cut anything torn, dig down a bit for the roots to sit back in the hole, ropes, winch pull it up, backfill around the roots, water in well and watch.
Now I could be way off base coming from a sub tropical place, we pull up trees all the time after storms, could be our climate is more conducive????

I've been working this storm since it hit and have not yet seen a tree I would be comfortable with righting in any proximity to a target, The soil up here is extremely saturated,add to that there is a lot of punky, shallow root systems in less than ideal soil conditions to start with, and the storm season has just begun, had 40-50 mph gusts on monday and 50+mph predicted tonight.

Good point Fiona; might pull back straight if it is reduced to lessen weight and leverage. Always best to conserve the asset if that is feasible.

WLL, no offense but your plan sounds a little reckless, and logistically impossible.

Good point Fiona; might pull back straight if it is reduced to lessen weight and leverage. Always best to conserve the asset if that is feasible.

WLL, no offense but your plan sounds a little reckless, and logistically impossible.

ive have taken no offense but it is very possible and i have done this same procedure its not reckless and very affective. topping a spruce is ugly unhealthy and not a good practise turning the so called asset into a stressed out eyesore attracting bugs and other unwanted pathogens. conserving the tree will cost the homeowner lots of money in the future so your so called good advise is only good 4 the tree guy not the homeowner.its 1 thing to try and save a real asset but its another to save a uprooted topped out tree in a poor spot. lets try to to think practical and not rape the homeowner by telling him the tree is an asset and can save it by topping and feeding and milk his money 4 a tree in a poor location.

Well...

Well said Guy, I am amazed at some of the posts that seem to be comming from that direction...

ive have taken no offense but it is very possible and i have done this same procedure its not reckless and very affective. topping a spruce is ugly unhealthy and not a good practise turning the so called asset into a stressed out eyesore attracting bugs and other unwanted pathogens. conserving the tree will cost the homeowner lots of money in the future so your so called good advise is only good 4 the tree guy not the homeowner.its 1 thing to try and save a real asset but its another to save a uprooted topped out tree in a poor spot. lets try to to think practical and not rape the homeowner by telling him the tree is an asset and can save it by topping and feeding and milk his money 4 a tree in a poor location.

No one is trying, much less sugesting he save this tree, just how to get it on the ground without him getting hurt baddly.
Andy

Sorry guys, but that tree is toast....no way could it be righted without an inordinate, impractical amount of work, nor would it be worth it. You'd need huge ground anchors, set deep and permanently guyed...and a huge amount of pulling power. Plus, there appears to be no access.

It's not simple to get a rope around it either, with a throw line....maybe through the canopy and tied off at the base....but still, if there's no suitable anchors to attach a winch....

Thanks Roger you're probably right. But Fiona's right to look at conservation options before looking at destruction options, and to suggest them if they are feasible.

if the tree is a spruce then I agree reduction is not the best solution. Too big a tree for that spot anyway then. If it was a Thuja or Juniperus then it would be different. I couldn't ID it from here.

Fair enough with the replies guys, it's hard to see with one picture on the internet exactly what conditions are like to consider pulling up the tree. Just thought I'd put it out there as a possibility. Local knowledge will pay off every time.
Good Luck

Well, it's different around here. If I have something that even looks like it "could" get away from me and hit the house, I call my tree guy. For $100 he puts an 18" hickory, oak, maple on the ground, ready for me to finish. I can do them easily, but am sometimes busy and sometimes there's more lean than I want to handle. He just pulls with a truck or one of the little winches with a chainsaw engine. I'm really happy with the deal. Really, his insurance is worth the cost!

Is there a way to get a pickup back there and pull toward the camera?

$600? Looks like two guys would have it down in half an hour?

Latest posts

Back