Tree of Heaven (or is that Hell)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alianthus? Looking at the age of that tree, I'm surprised it's up for that long in a neighborhood without causing a war.

It looks like the one onthe left got some severe damage when the two trees were very young. It leaned into the tree on the right. It miracously recovered and being propped up by the other one they adjoined each other. It then sent the spar to the right to search for a place for its canopy.

Arnie

This isn't the nicest part of town if you know what I mean. The customer really likes the tree and wants to keep it. It already has some good sized cavities but nothing too bad. No potential targets (I know it looks like its over the house in the pics but its not) so I recommended removing deadwood and monitoring the tree on an annual basis till it fails.

Redbull said:
This isn't the nicest part of town if you know what I mean. The customer really likes the tree and wants to keep it. It already has some good sized cavities but nothing too bad. No potential targets (I know it looks like its over the house in the pics but its not) so I recommended removing deadwood and monitoring the tree on an annual basis till it fails.

Thats exactly what I was thinking from the pics.

Arnie

That's a totally awesome tree, There are some ailanthus in the PNW that are positively huge, in very upscale neighborhoods, in municipalities that make it very difficult to remove any trees over 6" dbh, I've never seen one grafted like that before.

Thats some pretty funky trunk growth. I have seen that type of growth in Siberian Elms. That would be a pretty cool lookin tree once ya get it trimmed up. I really dont mind working in Alanthis, I dont think they smell all that bad. The one thing I hate is that it is really soft and brittle wood that has crappy hindging characteristics.

Kenn

Yeah, if I get this job, I'm not looking forward to climbing it because they're so brittle. Fortunately, I can reach all the dead without having to go...
" out on a limb." :D

Redbull said:
Yeah, if I get this job, I'm not looking forward to climbing it because they're so brittle. Fortunately, I can reach all the dead without having to go...
" out on a limb." :D

i removed one last thurs, stone dead, rotted at the base half the bark peeling off, mushrooms growing out, branches snapped off. i had the guys remove a chain link fence, and i had one guy just watch the base as i went up. i only went as high as the first crotch and set a pull rope with the pole saw and took the top out in 2 shots. 3000.00 worth of tree on the ground in 20 min. some one else priced it at 1200.00 but they couldn't get the guy to show up and do it.

we get a pretty steady diet of them, about 65% of our removal work is alianthus.

kf_tree said:
i removed one last thurs, stone dead, rotted at the base half the bark peeling off, mushrooms growing out, branches snapped off. i had the guys remove a chain link fence, and i had one guy just watch the base as i went up. i only went as high as the first crotch and set a pull rope with the pole saw and took the top out in 2 shots. 3000.00 worth of tree on the ground in 20 min. some one else priced it at 1200.00 but they couldn't get the guy to show up and do it.

we get a pretty steady diet of them, about 65% of our removal work is alianthus.

They're invasive little bastards, eh?!

Who in their right mind decided to call them "Tree of Heaven"
Someone had a sense of humor.:laugh: :cry:

A SICK sense of humor!

I once decided to remove a 4" branch from one that was headed out over my back yard. Got up in a ladder (yeah, I know) undercut it about an inch, then just TOUCHED the top with the chainsaw, and WHAM! It was on the ground. When I climbed down and looked at it, I found I had cut in maybe 3/8" into the wood. That's all it took.

Sorta verified my reason for removing it. I had cut down several others in my yard, and found out how brittle it is, so I decided that 4" branch was dangerous.

Some months later a 60 footer laid itself down across my yard. Just a light breeze blowing that day, and it greensticked about 6' up. :mad:

I'm glad nobody was outside at the time.

I took out ALL the rest of them!

Climb one? Not on your life!

I was doing a removal on a good sized one (they are in every fence in the inner city) and I thought I could bounce a chunk off a lower branch to miss the fence under it. The lower branch shattered and they both took out the fence.

Smells like Chicken? I've heard peanut butter before, and i think of Cheerios :laugh:

Latest posts

Back