Tree Service Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally called one of the local tree services to see if they would dump any wood from their removal jobs at my place. It sounded like I was in a good location for him and I may get something out of it. Anybody had good luck with this type of deal? I have an owb so I'm not too picky about what type of wood.

Not around here. Most of the tree services I have called in the past want about $100 (give or take) a cord to deliver hardwood logs. Some tree companies won't even sell it at that price.

I have started down this road but have not followed all the way through. I have one local tree company that will give me some if he is on this side of the county and I have spoken with my village arborist about dumping wood in my driveway. He was willing but following that windstorm in September I have not had enough room to store any. It is one of my goals for 2009 to find some new contacts to support my long term obsession with burning wood.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. I own a decent size tree service in the annapolis maryland area. Given labor rates around here, I don't sell firewood (that may change soon). However, i do sell off all of my saw logs by the tractor trailer load to a sawmill about an hour away. Everything else goes to the dump or to customers who request wood. if I'm in the area and I know a customer wants wood, then it's way easier for me to drop it at their place versus going far up the road to the dump where they charge $50 a truck load. The biggest challenge though is that most of the time the trucks have a mixed load on them - wood and chips. Nobody wants that in the driveway.... for what it's worth.

I used to get some from the municipality if they were working in the area but now some of the guys doing the work have owbs as well so they score it for themselves. Hope this works out, he runs a diesel pickup and dump trailer so I imagine he has to make a few trips on some jobs.

It can be a good thing but also a bad thing. One of the local tree guys gave me a heck of a deal on a big load that was "bigger stuff" I didn't see it before he dumped it. When I got home I realized how "bigger" it was. It's a pain in the azz but there is alot of wood there. I'm just going to buck it and split it this summer as it seems you work forever on it and don't get very far.

I've been getting logs from a tree service company. Delivered with his boom truck. He chips everything that fits in his 20" chipper, so they tend to be big. 20 logs last year made for about 6 cords. My yard has a slope, I cut the rounds on the uphill side and roll them down to where I split and stack. So even though the rounds are on the large size, moving them about is pretty easy. He does not go out of his way to deliver, so I can wait a few months. He makes sure to give me good wood, white oak, black locust, etc. Price is right at $0.00. It is a relationship that has been working well for me.

I asked a local tree service that was working across the street from my house about it and they dumped two dump trucks worth of oak and maple in my driveway last spring. It was a lot more wood than I had bargained for but now that it's cold I'm definitely not complaining. That pile drew the attention of another service who was working in the area and he asked me to take a couple of white oaks off of his hands (ME: well...I...Uhhhh...my wife's going to be pi$$ed about my adding to the immense pile in my driveway but heck yeah!) Altogether I got 10+/- cord delivered to my house for free dollars and no cents. So, from my standpoint that approach works great. As a matter of fact I think I'm going to give them a call and see if I can't get the pile started for next year.

I have had a little luck in getting wood from tree services, but for the most part I have had to look elsewhere for wood. I have called all the tree services in the area, mentioned that I have a 16 foot trailer and able to pick up the wood at a minutes notice, but have had only one tree service that has called from time to time.
I think its got a lot to do with the economy right now, folks that have trees removed keep the wood themselves, on top of the tree services selling firewood themselves to keep them afloat during the winter months.

I think its got a lot to do with the economy right now, folks that have trees removed keep the wood themselves, on top of the tree services selling firewood themselves to keep them afloat during the winter months.

Spot on. Lots of homeowners are opting to keep removal trees. I have even homeowners cut and stack the wood on the side of the road with “for sale” signs on the wood. Most tree services in my area are selling useable firewood trees or chipping everything they can and selling chips to biomass plants. As a result culled tree service wood may be a lot more than you bargained for. Most of the trees that get removed are huge and usually full of disease. In addition, most homeowner trees all are sporting steel of some sort. Unless you are running an OWB, a big chainsaw and own a honkin’ splitter, they are usually more trouble than they are worth. Just my opinion..

Be carefull what you ask for

I have a guy that dumped wood on me for about 6 months.......a case of beer here and there.Total of about 15 cases.Well,i had never split a log in my life,and when i got around to it,and realised how much wood i had,started selling firewood on the side.I sold enough this year to help with the cost of labor,gas,food,beer,ect.ect.,and have got 4-5 yrs worth of wood to burn put up stacked and covered.Long story short,lost 20# saw muscle i didnt even know i had,paid for the slitter 1st year,paid for s.s. liner& new blower moter 2nd yr,and saved approx.2500 bucks in propane.Still havent made up my mind on weather to let him dump again,or take a year off.Two other jobs get in the way. BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU ASK FOR.!!!:greenchainsaw:

I give away quality hardwood to anyone who is willing to pick it up. I will deliver for a small fee. If you are in the Tulsa area and would like some firewood feel free to PM me.

wood

I have 3 companies that buried me this Summer. I've got 3 years of wood easy. Sure beats skidding and limbing. On the big side though, had to get another 372xp so I could have 18 and 24" bars set up all the time. .:clap:

Last edited:
???

As with stated above make sure they dont dump off "junk wood" with lots of crotches etc.

there is no junk wood IMOA,guy drops me wood,i cut up the scraps for kindlin,pine for quick coals and heat,bark i keep in a portable crib i made[awsome kindlin]wood chips for the flower beds and garden......man its ALL GOOD:clap: the rotten makes a nice campfire too!

Last edited:
I've been getting wood by the boom truck load from my local guy for 8 years now. At the start it was free, but since then 2 others in my area have gotten OWB's and are going to him too. Well I guess he saw the light and now he charges us $200 a load. I figure I get 5 cords a load, so I won't complain, much cheaper than l.p., even with the "low" prices now. By paying for it now, I can at least demand prime wood. NO MORE COTTONWOOD!!!!, as I have yet to build my woodshed and I split wood as I need it so it is always green.

We have several "dumps" on the golf course,and we always accept wood,and clean fill whenever we can get it.For yrs we gave the wood away to our customers that had stoves,after Floyd,we had over 70 blwon down oak,locust and maples.I gave it all away,it took us 2 months to fully clean up after that storm.I shoud have got an OWB then,but now i give none away,we use it all between me,and my brothers and a few good friends.I am always on the lookout for wood,we are located in a good spot for trucks to get in and out quickly,so we tend to get some freebies no and then.

Most of the tree service wood that I have received is anything but desirable:
(1) It's never cut to correct length (lots of 12" and 25" logs).
(2) It always has small stubs that I have to remove.
(3) Most of it is green so you gave to store it somewhere for a year.
(4) Lost of Y crotch shows up.
(5) They cut lots of pine and other softwood.

Remember that tree service people seldom burn wood. Their objective is to remove the tree and haul it away. Get in and get out.

If that doesn't bother you, collect all that you want.

Latest posts

Back