tree well(after the fact)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of our clients called and said one of of trees we treated is in decline. Several people have been out there to inspect it. Its been giving more injections. Yesterday I checked it out. First thing i notice is mulch volcanoed up the trunk. I pull back the mulch, still no root flare. Ive carefully dug down a foot through the saturated heavy clay soil. Still no flare or big roots. Lots of tiny new feeder roots coming out of trunk. Under the wet bark is lots of mycelium.
I talked to the overseer of the property and he said," yep, we brought in a lot of dirt to raise that area up".
This is a 40 inch pondorosa pine, in a court yard of a 15 million dollar summer home. The tree is showing lots of yellowing and no new growth. Im going up there again today to finish exposing the root coller and arger some air holes around tree out to the drip line.
This is a high value tree, if money was no object, any one have any ideas on how to reverse and fix the damage. Will putting in a tree well and then laying some air shafts radiating out be enough?

From what you describe, doesn't sound like your tree is going to make it. The damage is done. Having an honest conversation versus telling them we can do all these things to save it might be the better course. Too bad they didn't include you during the design and construction phase of the project.

I agree it does sound too late if it is yellowing badly.

However, if you gotta try: How big of a "well" can you get away with? Can you excavate back to grade for at least half of the drip line? Can you make it more of an embankment on one side of the tree and open back to grade on the other? I'd aerate the soil back at grade with an AirKnife/AirSpade as well. A well that is only 5-6' at the bottom isn't going to solve anything there.

I was told to fill in what i dug out. And not to do any diagnosis with out going through channels. Was told it would make us look bad that all their attention was directed to treating above ground. Then all of a sudden change up.
Im so mad. I'd bet the farm the trees decline has to do with the grade change.
I carefully dug down to 16 inches below the new grade before i found a root. Even worse i saw where many big roots have been cut.
I might quit
20180425_151929.jpg 20180424_171128.jpg 20180425_140336.jpg m

I would pronounce that there is nothing that can be done for the tree, and that things already done have resulted in it's loss.

Your company is at risk of being accused of 'throwing good money after bad' because this tree is going to die. Tell the HOA that their money is better spent on making sure this is not happening with other of their trees and seeing that it does not happen again.

The others involved need a smack down.

I was told to fill in what i dug out. And not to do any diagnosis with out going through channels. Was told it would make us look bad that all their attention was directed to treating above ground. Then all of a sudden change up.
Im so mad. I'd bet the farm the trees decline has to do with the grade change.
I carefully dug down to 16 inches below the new grade before i found a root. Even worse i saw where many big roots have been cut.
I might quit
Nice..."We don't know what we are doing around here and you are making us look bad when you do!!!"

Seems to me that the time to be quiet has passed. You inspected the tree, found the damage that has been done by the company charged with maintaining the property then was told not to say anything. Soon it will be readily apparent to all that the tree has significant issues and will probably die. When the time comes for questions, will fingers be pointed at you? The "shut-up" attitude says that they will deny any knowledge of the issues in the future. You discovered the damage by exposing the root flare. Chances are other people noticed you digging it all up, and if this high value tree dies chances are those people will ask why it was dug up . If you don't speak up now and report this to the property owners the company could very well say that you knew and didn't tell them, or worse yet say your digging caused the decline, making you the negligent party.

Put it in writing. I wouldn't go straight to the customer, but let the company know your diagnosis in writing (email so you have a copy).

arathol...I don't disagree with you, but can't help laughing at your avatar while reading what you wrote....

You can bet i covered my ass already. I wrote a full report and photo documented every thing I did. I recommended imminent actions be taking if the tree had any chance of survival.
I talked to a construction formen who asked me off the record if the tree would make it, I told him i wouldn't bet on it.
I haven't heard from anyone from my Company. I didn't work today. I sure hope this don't turn ugly.
This is how i left the tree. talk about a cover up. pun intended.

Attachments

• 20180425_162605.jpg
    20180425_162605.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
You can bet i covered my ass already. I wrote a full report and photo documented every thing I did. I recommended imminent actions be taking if the tree had any chance of survival.
I talked to a construction formen who asked me off the record if the tree would make it, I told him i wouldn't bet on it.
I haven't heard from anyone from my Company. I didn't work today. I sure hope this don't turn ugly.
This is how i left the tree. talk about a cover up. pun intended.

Smart move. And hopefully you titled the document “Here’s why this tree is dead as a hammer, you fools...”

Back