TreeMotion Saddles In Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jomoco,

First off, I prefer big side D's myself. But I've climbed on saddles with smallish D's, never, ever ridden a saddle with D's so small that double locking snaps won't work!!!

My Central tie-in is always on 'biners, always oppositely oriented, always tied on a cinching knot so that the load won't float. If all you know for a tie-in is a bowline, I'd go for snaps too.

I've had a look at the TreeMotion saddle, It's got some really innovative weight transfer solutions, and the solution for the side D's looks like a major step forward in comfort, adjustabilitly, quick access. Not alot to not like, aside from price.

But here's my question, jomoco: When would you need to "Pass through" a D-ring with a rope snap?

I hope your answer is not "in an emergency rescue" or it's proof your thoughts and training are mired in the '80's, and you've stopped learning , and started that sorry downhill slide to old codgerliness.

RedlineIt

jomoco,

First off, I prefer big side D's myself. But I've climbed on saddles with smallish D's, never, ever ridden a saddle with D's so small that double locking snaps won't work!!!

My Central tie-in is always on 'biners, always oppositely oriented, always tied on a cinching knot so that the load won't float. If all you know for a tie-in is a bowline, I'd go for snaps too.

I've had a look at the TreeMotion saddle, It's got some really innovative weight transfer solutions, and the solution for the side D's looks like a major step forward in comfort, adjustabilitly, quick access. Not alot to not like, aside from price.

But here's my question, jomoco: When would you need to "Pass through" a D-ring with a rope snap?

I hope your answer is not "in an emergency rescue" or it's proof your thoughts and training are mired in the '80's, and you've stopped learning , and started that sorry downhill slide to old codgerliness.

RedlineIt

Well being a dumb old school kinda guy, I like to keep my saddle components (weight) to a minimum. But there are many times that I require two lanyards to safely ascend up a tree to get my primary bodyline tie in established. This in my case means that rather than just clipping my bodyline to my saddle on the way up, I prefer to pass it through one of my waist dee rings followed by a half hitch, this effectively turns my bodyline into a adjustable lanyard for use on the way up. Upon reaching my TIP I untie it from the dee ring and tie in as usual.

jomoco

Jomoco,

Yeah, I've got a double-ended lanyard for that. You can go your way, I'll go mine, both safe, right?

But not being able to use a small D saddle the way you want is a whole lot different than saying that small D saddles should never have been allowed, isn't it? I mean, that is what you were saying, wasn't it?

What is the safety problem with small D's?

I custom ordered my saddle with orgasmically huge D's just for convience, but I think it is rediculous for you to say that small D's are a safety problem without backing that opinion up with real data.

Same goes for climbing on 'biners. You see (you think) how this is unsafe, and you've been all over it. But where is the data?

None? Then SHUT UP!

RedlineIt

I agree with the dual-ended lanyard, like in this pic. I miss that lanyard. There was much better versatility and speed than the 11 mm rope lanyard I'm into now.

I also thought I was using big dees, until I looked at one of my older saddles. IT has big dees, but far fewer accessory points to attach gear, and I remembered over-using the big dees with slings and biners. In this photo, that saddle (Buckingham Versatile) has all kinds of gear-hanging places, but small rings. I guess I got used to them because I've never had the complaint that the're too small.

And look! A caribiner attaching the saddle to the lifeline. OMG! ;) Actually, it looks like a caribiner attached to some friction device, backed by a VT. This pic is so many years old, I don't even recall what I was using that day. I've adopted wearing a helmet for about the last 5 years. This pic must be from back when the VT hit the scene because I don't use it much any more.
attachment.php

Jomoco,

Yeah, I've got a double-ended lanyard for that. You can go your way, I'll go mine, both safe, right?

But not being able to use a small D saddle the way you want is a whole lot different than saying that small D saddles should never have been allowed, isn't it? I mean, that is what you were saying, wasn't it?

What is the safety problem with small D's?

I custom ordered my saddle with orgasmically huge D's just for convience, but I think it is rediculous for you to say that small D's are a safety problem without backing that opinion up with real data.

Same goes for climbing on 'biners. You see (you think) how this is unsafe, and you've been all over it. But where is the data?

None? Then SHUT UP!

RedlineIt

I couldn't help but laugh a little after reading this. I found myself double checking to see if I was in the commercial climbers section and not some beginners 101 section.

If a veteran commercial climber can't appreciate being able to quickly attach his lanyard to his waist dee ring and I mean quickly, he needs to reconsider his career choice.

Few things are more frustrating than fumbling about trying to attach your lanyard to a miniature dee ring as it flops about trying to elude capture as your muscles strain and sweat burns your eyes in a tenuously desperate attempt to make a positive connection.

It makes me appreciate my old school Sierra Moreno saddle maker's wisdom when he designed a saddle with big waist dee rings that rigidly face forward rather than flopping about, this wise design allows me to quickly attach my lanyard with no fumbling about period.

And yes, it is my opinion that a well designed saddle with the above mentioned attributes can mean the difference between life and death in this business.

Who's going to know if the reason a climber falls and hits the ground is because he was fumbling about trying to attach his lanyard when his gaffs kicked out, he can't tell you because he's dead on the ground wearing his new POS new fangled ill designed saddle.

jomoco

I couldn't help but laugh a little after reading this. I found myself double checking to see if I was in the commercial climbers section and not some beginners 101 section.

If a veteran commercial climber can't appreciate being able to quickly attach his lanyard to his waist dee ring and I mean quickly, he needs to reconsider his career choice.

Few things are more frustrating than fumbling about trying to attach your lanyard to a miniature dee ring as it flops about trying to elude capture as your muscles strain and sweat burns your eyes in a tenuously desperate attempt to make a positive connection.

It makes me appreciate my old school Sierra Moreno saddle maker's wisdom when he designed a saddle with big waist dee rings that rigidly face forward rather than flopping about, this wise design allows me to quickly attach my lanyard with no fumbling about period.

And yes, it is my opinion that a well designed saddle with the above mentioned attributes can mean the difference between life and death in this business.

Who's going to know if the reason a climber falls and hits the ground is because he was fumbling about trying to attach his lanyard when his gaffs kicked out, he can't tell you because he's dead on the ground wearing his new POS new fangled ill designed saddle.

jomoco

Here we go again............

You've been proven wrong here time and time again, yet you still want to believe your opinion is the way it should be.

Where is your data?

Is this the part where you start with the "I called this guy, and that guy says"

:notrolls2:

Here we go again............

You've been proven wrong here time and time again, yet you still want to believe your opinion is the way it should be.

Where is your data?

Is this the part where you start with the "I called this guy, and that guy says"

:notrolls2:

One look at these ill conceived new saddles is all the data I need to conclude that they're a dangerous accident waiting to happen.

I can't believe any veteran arborist would argue with me on this point, much less recommend their use for unwhitting newbies.

jomoco

I can't help but think that I'm missing something or doing something wrong, but I can't think of any life or death situation where I would need to clip in fast. I always double my system. (double laynard/flipline, prussik backing a figure 8 descender, etc.).

I cannot comment on the new saddles, never tried them, but whatever system you use, at any time I feel you should be able to let go and not fall (very much). It may take more time, but it is safer. Works for me anyways.

Well, I still like my new Tree Motion Saddle and it's small rings. 7 hours of widespreading live oak trimming today and I can't remember missing my side d's cuz I've been using those new fangled dees on the front of the saddle. Which I might add are BAD @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seem safer than the normal lanyard, hip to hip attachment and you can sit in the saddle while attached there or stand on gaffs while attached there.

Kind of a ramble but still on topic....

Mike Cross

I talked to Rip Tompkins and some of my good friends at the TCIA and they indicated that the tree motion saddles where and incredible advancement in climbing technology, therefor they must be the best saddles on the market!:monkey:

Who's going to know if the reason a climber falls and hits the ground is because he was fumbling about trying to attach his lanyard when his gaffs kicked out,

jomoco,

You're surely not suggesting that that a climber on gaffs should remove HIS ONLY TIE IN to pass a branch or forking are you? Because this is the only way the accident you're talking about can occur. And it's a practice that has the potential to get you killed even if you have D's the approximate size of hula hoops.

Look jomoco, I've climbed on various saddles, some big D's, some small. Some I've owned, some were borrowed just for a look-see, some were company issue. My lanyards have always been double locking snaps and I've never met a D so small that I fumbled for attachment, hot sweat burning my eyes, (get an absorbant sweatband or wear a welders skull-cap, bro). Somewhat annoying are terminally floppy D's, but there are such quick fixes for that it's not worth going into in a climber's forum.

Finally, because this thread is about the TreeMotion Saddle, the D's on it aren't that small. I've not climbed on one yet, but I've seen it up close and in use by a veteran climber, and anyone not able to clip those D's needs another job.

RedlineIt

I can't help but think that I'm missing something or doing something wrong, but I can't think of any life or death situation where I would need to clip in fast. I always double my system. (double laynard/flipline, prussik backing a figure 8 descender, etc.).

I cannot comment on the new saddles, never tried them, but whatever system you use, at any time I feel you should be able to let go and not fall (very much). It may take more time, but it is safer. Works for me anyways.

Well said, always stay tied in ALWAYS.

Man haven't been on here in a while and this thread is a riot. Hey Jomoco have you even tried this saddle. I have had mine for a good couple months. I use a DOUBLE-LOCKING SNAP and not and carabiner for my lanyard. And hey guess what I keep both eyes open and haven't missed yet. Just incase you don't know anything about this saddle. The side d's are stuck in a position as to where they always protrude from the saddle. So unlike your old school crap wher the d's fly about this stay put and are super easy to click into. It's so easy a caveman can do it.

I'm not saying this sadedle doesn't have drawl backs but best not to talk about something you might not know about.

OTG said:
where ya been 020?
Yea, 'Ssupp dawg??

Have you heard that joke?

"Hey 020, ya got any suppdogg?"

"What's suppdogg?"

"Nothin much dogg, 'Supp with you?"

Ok, my bad.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

I'm not saying this saddle doesn't have drawl backs...

O.K., I'll bite. What are the draw backs? Any, other than cost?

I was at my Sherrill store a couple of days ago and checked these saddles out, looked pretty cool.

Funny thing, I always go in there to buy one item and always walk out with several items and at least few hundred dollars lighter (and that's on a good day).

Last edited:
did I hear old school crap!!! well maybe, but I`ll tell ya what I personally climb with old school crap, an asplundh saddle, 3 strand rope & a gibbs ascender. This is my arsenal, all I need, I know guys that have fancy saddles, split tails, micro pulley`s, this that & the other!!

guess what? I climb just as fast & can do what they do & just as good, its not the most comfortable set up but its light weight & im not usually airborne that long anyhow. Rahtreelimbs your climbing buddy actually talked me into some modern things(gibbs) but he`ll tell ya I was as good with the old as anyone with the new!! I just got picked on more for it!!!LOL

LXT..................

Back