TreeSlingr' 660 woods port.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As promised...a user report. I don't have any scientific observations or a bunch of fancy numbers...just a description of how it ran and how it did.

I ran it all week on a falling job...mostly big DF and cedar. Nothing special, just another falling job. I had a 36" bar and 75JGX chain.

The saw ran great...what else can I say? Jasha called it a "mild woods port" but there's a very noticeable difference from a stock 66. The last couple of days I hammered on it pretty good and it didn't let me down. We had some heavy leaners on steep ground and the extra speed in the cut sure made a good difference right there at the last.

Bucking was good. You can bog it down if you really reef on it but at that point you're abusing the saw anyway so why bother. It has plenty of power in the cut...no need to force it.

Fuel consumption wasn't much different than a stock 66...not enough to be noticeable. It had no tendency to heat.

I guess the best way to describe it is that the saw just ran "easier". You can get the same amount of work done, and more, than with a stock 66 and not beat the hell out of the saw doing it.

If I need another saw done I'll go right back to Fort Jones...no hesitation.

Oh...there was a downside. My partner ran the saw for awhile and I had to rassle him to get it back. :)

Nice to hear. It has always seemed to me that opening 'em up to let 'em breath better has got to be easier on the saw in the long run. As long as it's not extreme. I'm thinking 'bout sending my BFN 440 out noca way. I'm flying out to eureka in may. I wonder what the wife would say if I had a saw in the suitcase when we got there. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
As promised...a user report. I don't have any scientific observations or a bunch of fancy numbers...just a description of how it ran and how it did.

I ran it all week on a falling job...mostly big DF and cedar. Nothing special, just another falling job. I had a 36" bar and 75JGX chain.

The saw ran great...what else can I say? Jasha called it a "mild woods port" but there's a very noticeable difference from a stock 66. The last couple of days I hammered on it pretty good and it didn't let me down. We had some heavy leaners on steep ground and the extra speed in the cut sure made a good difference right there at the last.

Bucking was good. You can bog it down if you really reef on it but at that point you're abusing the saw anyway so why bother. It has plenty of power in the cut...no need to force it.

Fuel consumption wasn't much different than a stock 66...not enough to be noticeable. It had no tendency to heat.

I guess the best way to describe it is that the saw just ran "easier". You can get the same amount of work done, and more, than with a stock 66 and not beat the hell out of the saw doing it.

Oh...there was a downside. My partner ran the saw for awhile and I had to rassle him to get it back. :)

nice commentary. good to hear. :clap:

you realize of course we need vids!!!!
Nice to hear. It has always seemed to me that opening 'em up to let 'em breath better has got to be easier on the saw in the long run. As long as it's not extreme. I'm thinking 'bout sending my BFN 440 out noca way. I'm flying out to eureka in may. I wonder what the wife would say if I had a saw in the suitcase when we got there. :greenchainsaw:

hhmmm, depends on how kinky the ol' girl is.;)

Eureka? People go to Eureka voluntarily? Just kidding...I was born there.

Just the closest airport to the big ones

Yup. Go south on 101 about 40 minutes to the Honeydew turnoff, follow that road a mile or so...lots of big trees. It's a state park :censored: but it's been left as natural and primitive as possible.There are other places but that's a personal favorite. You can also drive the Avenue of The Giants in that area, old Hwy 101.
Be sure to eat at the Samoa Cookhouse while you're in Eureka. Logger style food and lots of it and a good collection of old logging stuff.

Last edited:
Yup. Go south on 101 about 40 minutes to the Honeydew turnoff, follow that road a mile or so...lots of big trees. It's a state park :censored: but it's been left as natural and primitive as possible.There are other places but that's a personal favorite. You can also drive the Avenue of The Giants in that area, old Hwy 101.
Be sure to eat at the Samoa Cookhouse while you're in Eureka. Logger style food and lots of it and a good collection of old logging stuff.

Thanks Go! I'd love to hear from locals about other places that would be cool to check out. I was not even thinking about going south. I was thinking of doing a loop up to crater lake then over to coos bay then back down 101 to Eureka. Hell maybe there would be better places/routes to visit. We will be there in the middle of may. That's all I know so far. :arg:

How big is your partner? For rasselling?

Whitedogone, better check with the locals or Park Service before going there to drive around Crater Lake. The road around the lake is not plowed in the winter, and I don't know when they do open it. There is a road open to the lake all year though, and you can ski or snowshoe around it. I have been confronted by angry tourii here, who drive out in the Spring only to find that the road to Mt. St. Helens is not open due to snow. The travel agents fail to tell them that little bit of info.:cry:

I see. I wondered why the lodge wasn't open till late may. That could be why. The wife was #####in' anyway about the possibality of snow. :mad:

I see. I wondered why the lodge wasn't open till late may. That could be why. The wife was #####in' anyway about the possibality of snow. :mad:

The lodge may not be open until around the first of June this year. They'll be doing repairs on the east side of the building after the snow melts down some. Last season the rim road wasn't open until the second week in June. You can still drive up and see the lake though, the road to the lodge and rim village is plowed and there's three viewpoints for the lake that are open. The fog is usually thick enough through the winter and spring that it's a crap shoot to be able to see the entire lake. Crater lake is definitely a summer trip to get full experience out of it. We had about 450k vehicles pass through the park last year.

Last edited:
Back