Tribute to quality splitting axes. Photos of your splitting AXES and MAULS.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread devoted to splitting axes and mauls. I spend way more time swinging a splitting axe busting up rounds than I do running a chainsaw. Oddly enough, I may be one of the few that truly enjoys the feeling of laying a round on a solid stump, and subsequently using a quality axe to chop it into beautful pieces that can be neatly stacked and seasoned for the next years winter fuel. As mundane or archaic as it may seem, I really feel the whole process from felling to limbing to bucking then splitting and lastly stacking is a real art in itself. I find my time spent wielding a splitting axe to be very treasured and peaceful, and oftentimes the sun tends to set too soon. Most of my evenings end with a sunset that was more beautiful than the evening before. Interestingly, for me, this time seems to be best spent alone. Not to say I don't enjoy extra help from time to time; but the fact is when I'm in this "zone" the only things that seem to really matter are how the grain looks on a hardwood round, how sharp the axe head is, and how perfectly each split log seem to lay on top of another to create cord after awesome cord of home-warming btu energy straight from the wholesome goodness of our forest. Somehow over the years I have been able to resist the added production of using a hydraulic splitter. My firewood is from my forest or my closest friends forests, used strictly to heat my house. I almost feel using a hydraulic splitter would be an injustice to what seems to me to be a finite resource around my area. I feel almost like a piece of wood cut by a hydraulic splitter just won't yield the same amount of heat when placed in my stove. I have worked too hard to earn the loyal friendships which have allowed me to gather wood on my friends farms, and I have worked too hard and too long splitting and stacking to ever think about doing this for the purpose of monetary gain. The thought almost makes me cringe to think about selling firewood....to think of a log I split turning to cherry embers in someone else's stove, who doesn't appreciate all the hard work required just to get it there....is simply put: disheartening.
I guess this thread just goes out in tribute to not only the splitting axes and mauls, but to those who loyally work till their hands are calloused, and their backs are sore, to provide a warmth for their family, a warmth that can turn a house into a home.....a warmth only brought about by GOD's green forests.
This thread goes out to you all.

misc179.jpg

axe.jpg

I thought I would start a thread devoted to splitting axes and mauls. I spend way more time swinging a splitting axe busting up rounds than I do running a chainsaw. Oddly enough, I may be one of the few that truly enjoys the feeling of laying a round on a solid stump, and subsequently using a quality axe to chop it into beautful pieces that can be neatly stacked and seasoned for the next years winter fuel. As mundane or archaic as it may seem, I really feel the whole process from felling to limbing to bucking then splitting and lastly stacking is a real art in itself. I find my time spent wielding a splitting axe to be very treasured and peaceful, and oftentimes the sun tends to set too soon. Most of my evenings end with a sunset that was more beautiful than the evening before. Interestingly, for me, this time seems to be best spent alone. Not to say I don't enjoy extra help from time to time; but the fact is when I'm in this "zone" the only things that seem to really matter are how the grain looks on a hardwood round, how sharp the axe head is, and how perfectly each split log seem to lay on top of another to create cord after awesome cord of home-warming btu energy straight from the wholesome goodness of our forest. Somehow over the years I have been able to resist the added production of using a hydraulic splitter. My firewood is from my forest or my closest friends forests, used strictly to heat my house. I almost feel using a hydraulic splitter would be an injustice to what seems to me to be a finite resource around my area. I feel almost like a piece of wood cut by a hydraulic splitter just won't yield the same amount of heat when placed in my stove. I have worked too hard to earn the loyal friendships which have allowed me to gather wood on my friends farms, and I have worked too hard and too long splitting and stacking to ever think about doing this for the purpose of monetary gain. The thought almost makes me cringe to think about selling firewood....to think of a log I split turning to cherry embers in someone else's stove, who doesn't appreciate all the hard work required just to get it there....is simply put: disheartening.
I guess this thread just goes out in tribute to not only the splitting axes and mauls, but to those who loyally work till their hands are calloused, and their backs are sore, to provide a warmth for their family, a warmth that can turn a house into a home.....a warmth only brought about by GOD's green forests.
This thread goes out to you all.

Hydraulic or manual splitting?? I can't tell a difference. Both will work you pretty good. Hydraulic is quicker in the long run. It all burns the same. Are you using a cross cut or axe to fell your trees, or a chainsaw? I got sentimental one day and got out my dads old cross cut to fall a tree and decided quick that my 066 was much better.

Good timing on this topic!

My splitting ax once again has its wood handle broken! :mad:

I'm getting tired of replacing that handle. Time to purchase something which will last more than a month.

So suggestions for a good splitting ax with a handle which will not break?

Are any of those non-wood handles basically good? I've never had problems with my other tools which have these handles.

I just picked up a Fiskar super splitting ax at a friends while checking out his OWB...swung it once and promptly came home to order one for myself.....thing practically swung itself....

Tribute to quality splitting axes. Photos of your splitting AXES and MAULS

Zen and the art of firewood cutting. I think you are on your way to a best selling book. You sure have a good start.

Hey, I thought of it first! I use a Samurai sword to cut my wood. It takes longer but it's all about the journey, not the destination,

Grassahappa.

TS

I'm getting tired of replacing that handle. Time to purchase something which will last more than a month.

Are any of those non-wood handles basically good? I've never had problems with my other tools which have these handles.

Look at the bottom picture of #2. The Fiskars splitting axe is VERY sharp and guaranteed unbreakable handle. I have it and the Fiskars Pro Chopping axe that is flyweight, extremely sharp, and splits smaller wood as well as anything that I've swung.

IMHO, if you are busting out handles that often, it may be your aim. I suggest getting a thick walled piece of pipe that will fit in your axe, and weld it in.

Last edited:
IMHO, if you are busting out handles that often, it may be your aim. I suggest getting a thick walled piece of pipe that will fit in your axe, and weld it in.

It seems I bust one of two hickory handles a season. I started using the Fiskars splitting axes and have had no broken handles....but do have slightly sorer (is that a word sore---er?) hands as those Fiberglass handles don't dampen the vibrations near as well as a good ol' wood handle axe. The tradeoff is worth it however. I rarely split with my wood-handled splitting axes anymore....at least until I save up and get myself a gransfors bruks :)

Hey JCENFRO; what kind of splitting maul is that. I see it says "Tillamook"? on the handle?

attachment.php

25 (weighed in at 24) lb monster maul. Use it little anymore. Mainly to knock stuck splits off my TW 5 but I heated my house with wood split only with this from 1975 to 1981 (divorce). Filled 2 woodstoves all winter with it.

Cool, thanks. I have seen them around and never knew who made them.
The fiskars along with the sledge and wedge are what get'r done for me so to speak.
Here's what I split with:
Note: see that case of budlight lime, that was the cataylst to my post:"zen" moment of wood splitting. Dern beer made me get all personal about it on A.S. :D

IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

awesome text!!! you sir have the prose to describe clearly what i've been trying to untangle in my mind so i can explain to others why it is that i love to hand-split. May i reference to your text for the benefit of the curios/perplexe?
cheers! alain

awesome text!!! you sir have the prose to describe clearly what i've been trying to untangle in my mind so i can explain to others why it is that i love to hand-split. May i reference to your text for the benefit of the curios/perplexe?
cheers! alain
Yeh man, have at it. Although, I have no idea what curios/perplexe is:confused:

oops meant curious and perplex like only city slickers can give you the "WTF look " while i,m splitting on and on and on... Thank-you and do know i will not take any credit for you text, it will be shown as is!
cheers alain:clap:

Latest posts

Back