Trimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 326 is a seriously good weedeater.I think I wore out 3 of them over the years.professionally of course.2 were my cousins and I liked them so well I bought the last one my dealer had before they quit husky.my cousin gave me his last one before he passed away.I really need to go through it and see what I can do with it.

I friend gave me a Poulan PRO PP333 to fix. Engine has 80 psi compression after four years of commercial use at a park and recreation area. Runs wide open but won't idle. Dies instead. It's history.
That is basically the same as mine. I bought an entire P&C kit for mine for $32. It was easy to put in.

The red rubber boot between the strato air valve and the intake deteriorates - I have to replace mine every year. That may be the reason for the failure.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ported-poulan-pro-pole-pruner.276194/

That is basically the same as mine. I bought an entire P&C kit for mine for $32. It was easy to put in.

The red rubber boot between the strato air valve and the intake deteriorates - I have to replace mine every year. That may be the reason for the failure.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ported-poulan-pro-pole-pruner.276194/
I replaced that boot and even tried to seal it with Permatex. No luck. That's the worst carb manifold design I've ever seen--destined for cracks, splits, and air leaks.

BTW, before I drop it off at the land fill, have you got a link to that $32 P&C supplier? I'll trust your judgment that "It was easy to put in".

I replaced that boot and even tried to seal it with Permatex. No luck. That's the worst carb manifold design I've ever seen--destined for cracks, splits, and air leaks.

BTW, before I drop it off at the land fill, have you got a link to that $32 P&C supplier? I'll trust your judgment that "It was easy to put in".
I found nothing wrong with the design other than that they used the wrong material for the boot.

I got the kit from Sears, although I'm sure some of our sponsors could get it: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/545008046/0071/358.html?eml=$customer_id$

I see they're up to $34 now!

I also got the gaskets and seals: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/545008044/0071/358.html?eml=$customer_id$

My fs250r vibrates badly, and while it does drink some fuel, it ain't nothin, as they say, compared to an fs550. I can run a long time on a tank of fuel with a 250, but NEED anti vibe gloves and to stop after no more than an hour of constant use or my hands WILL hurt badly for several hours. That said, its way too much trimmer for around my house in town (i want an fs94) and too little trimmer for deforesting in the coast range of the PNW. Its best use I have found is to put a U shaped shredder blade on it and use it on blackberries. in that capacity, I doubt you could find a faster, easier, hand held tool. With the loop handle and no harness, you can throw it out and up in front of you easily. In 45 minutes I cut a 15 × 200 foot of well over 6 feet high dense blackberries to the ground, it looked like it had been tilled.

I completely agree on that front. I have a 480, a 460C-EM and a 450 and they burn a lot of fuel. But the increase in production I see when I run them is more than the increased fuel. I haven't found anything my FS130s can't do a 250 can. When they were the best thing on the market, the FS 250 was a great machine for doing work in right of ways and heavy grass. Now, the 130 does everything the 250 does and keeps my bottom line higher.

I completely agree on that front. I have a 480, a 460C-EM and a 450 and they burn a lot of fuel. But the increase in production I see when I run them is more than the increased fuel. I haven't found anything my FS130s can't do a 250 can. When they were the best thing on the market, the FS 250 was a great machine for doing work in right of ways and heavy grass. Now, the 130 does everything the 250 does and keeps my bottom line higher.

I just haven't been able to come to like the idea of the 4 mix engine. If I understand corectly, a lot of the commercial guys around here don't like them. But I think that they probably use the for grass trimming, which I don't think would be a 4-mixes strong suit. Maybe I will find a unit used for cheap and get to try it out. I am kinda curious about them still. For now, I am happy with my current trimmers though!

Biggest gripe about the 4 mix for me is not being able to keep the rpm in the range that i need when trimming.when i pull the trigger and get it where i need it within 10 feet the rpm's start dropping give it gas and then there's too many rpm's and it's sucking the grass out of the ground.:mad: sometimes WFO isn't needed on freshly sown grass or in rocky terrain.in my area we have more rock than grass in some places.i don't run a guard because of rocks and obstacles. Most trimmers will also handle a few extra inches of line out too.especially the fs250.;)

Biggest gripe about the 4 mix for me is not being able to keep the rpm in the range that i need when trimming.when i pull the trigger and get it where i need it within 10 feet the rpm's start dropping give it gas and then there's too many rpm's and it's sucking the grass out of the ground.:mad: sometimes WFO isn't needed on freshly sown grass or in rocky terrain.in my area we have more rock than grass in some places.i don't run a guard because of rocks and obstacles. Most trimmers will also handle a few extra inches of line out too.especially the fs250.;)
Same thing with their HT-131 pole saws....junk. We dumped all of them and bought Echo PPT-280. IMO Echo makes the best pole saw out there.

I have the ht131 and a ht100 and have had no problems with those.although i would like to try a 2 stroke pole saw.i'm sure the weight savings would be much better.

I have the ht131 and a ht100 and have had no problems with those.although i would like to try a 2 stroke pole saw.i'm sure the weight savings would be much better.
Maybe they've improved, this was when the 4-mix first came out. There were only problems with a few i remember but they replaced all of them.

Mines about 6 years old.i remember some grumbling going on when the trimmers came out.whats that been now 10-12 years?

View attachment 435112 View attachment 435113
Found this at my local CAL Ranch on clearance for $135.99+tax. They had six of them NIB. It came with the bump feed head, shoulder strap, brushcutter blade, and tool kit.

I just had to read this after purchasing my new trimmer :(.

---------------------------------

I desperately needed to clean up an overgrown yard, and had crappy experience with a used trimmer. What kind of idiots design a trimmer where the engine has to be very nearly completely disassembled to replace the starter cord? To replace a piston, yes, but not a starter cord !!

I dusted off my wallet, unlocked it, and bought a new Echo SRM-280T. I used for about 2.5 hours yesterday. So far I really like it, but the SpeedFeed "easy" line winding mechanism does the same thing as winding by hand--the line overlaps, gets hot, sticks, and doesn't want to auto-feed properly. But I've only did once, maybe there's a trick I haven't figured out.

120720151025.jpg Over on this side of the pond they are strimmers or brushcutters for the larger ones.
Top trumps so far with a FS 500 (51.7cc) but I just know someone is going to come along with a 550 or a Husky 555.

Stihl FS 80 for comparison:

120720151024.jpg

Some have commented that the FS250 drinks fuel but the FS500 nearly needs a second man just to carry the fuel! I've used the FS400,450 and 480 and they sip compared to this thing. I got it for £50 ($75 roughly) off ebay. It was listed as a FS50. The owner had lent it out to someone who managed to cross thread the L screw either before or after he scored the piston. He took it to the local dealer who said it was uneconomic to repair. No surprise really as the spares prices are scary high. Everything cleaned up easily though and I already had a set of 44mm Caber rings. L screw took a bit of extracting but it turned out to be a standard M3 thread. Stands me in less than £100 with a new Autocut 40-4 head.:D

41b2d73c9fc27342cffa87ce0754d8a4.jpg

77db6f89c9e4612ed85c03c7deb2309c.jpg

One FS 55 and 2 FS-85s. The other FS-85 is at the cabin and only runs a brush blade. It has cut well over 2 miles of trail through tag alder and mountain maple without anything done other than sharpening the blade. It's the type that has a chainsaw tooth profile. Anything under 3" is fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found nothing wrong with the design other than that they used the wrong material for the boot.

I got the kit from Sears, although I'm sure some of our sponsors could get it: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/545008046/0071/358.html?eml=$customer_id$

I see they're up to $34 now!

I also got the gaskets and seals: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/545008044/0071/358.html?eml=$customer_id$
Thanks Chris! Prices seldom go down but they do go up regularly. This looks like a fit. My experience had been that 80 psi. compression will not run any 2-cycle engine correctly, especially at idle speed. It does run at WOT and perhaps a hair less. That's it. The original price on the PP333 was $190, and perhaps spending $40 or so to save it might be worth it.

For those who think red and black is sexy! RedMax 30 cc with Max Torque gearbox. Gear reduction muscles its way around very nicely. I also use a shoulder strap but usually have the weight between my hands. The strap takes the load off for a moment here & there but never seems for long. Bought this larger size to use a blade and found the Aire-Cut. That high lift blade works great but better wear chaps and a face shield!
0712151826.jpg

0712151827.jpg

aire-cut-o-300-mm-al-254-mm-lame-3-dents.jpg

Back