Trimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it you like the torque gear box on that redmax?

Yes, since I always find myself in thick stuff. (I never stay caught up). Honestly, I haven't run their similar trimmer with the standard gearbox so I can't give a side by side opinion.

Also, a big reason I got the 30 cc is that it has a fully adjustable carb, where the smaller ones in the line up don't. That's my biggest sore spot with most barrel throttled carbs I run across.

I bought a Honda HHT 35 and couldn't be more happy.

True 4 stroke engine that sips fuel. Lots of torque. Starts easily and is very quiet. Changed to .105 Stihl cutting string and it works really well.

The only criticism is that it is kind of heavy. I only use it about 15 to 20 minutes a week, so it not a problem. Excellent trimmer IMHO.

Seems that I'm the only one running a Dolmar? I have a 260 I got 3 years ago. I like it a lot. It came with a strap but I never use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl KM 130 R with trimmer head and the cultivator attachment.

20150502_165154.jpg
20150702_171226.jpg

I would buy the hedge trimmer attachment for the Stihl, but I bought a Chinese unit that had 4 attachments a few years back. It has a hedge trimmer (180° movement), pole saw, brush cutting head, and trimmer head.

20150502_165429.jpg

Yes, since I always find myself in thick stuff. (I never stay caught up). Honestly, I haven't run their similar trimmer with the standard gearbox so I can't give a side by side opinion.

Also, a big reason I got the 30 cc is that it has a fully adjustable carb, where the smaller ones in the line up don't. That's my biggest sore spot with most barrel throttled carbs I run across.

Actually, some of those barrel carbs are adjustable. The idle needle is in the top of the carb, inside the piece that the throttle cable attaches to. If it has a high speed needle, it is in back under a tiny white plug. At least on my 150BT there is a high speed needle there. BTW, there is also a white plug over the idle mixture needle. I saw that plug and the Redmax dealer made reference to a high speed needle. But I was afraid that there wasn't a needle there so I went with Husky. I knew I was getting a good trimmer with an adjustable carb that way. I didn't then know that some non-adjustable carbs were fully adjustable.

When I was shopping for trimmers, I looked hard at Redmax and probably would go that route, if I had it to do over or I would have gotten the Torque version of my 525LS. Though a KM130R is kinda tempting me.

I have a Stihl KM90R with pole saw, and articulating hedge trimmer attachments.
I just bought the straight shaft trimmer attachment.
Works well. Gave it a workout yesterday in tall grass.
My main trimmer for use around the house, is the Ryobi 40 volt string trimmer.
This is my second year using it. Works good, as long as you upgrade the string.
The string that came with it was junk.

Trimmers? what kind of girly things are those?
Out here in Oz,we go for the big bad boys- FS550 and 560 monster clearing saws.
Ive run two 550's into the ground,and just got a new 560, in preparation for the impending zombie apocalypse. :)

I have some stuff

1. Stihl KM85 with brush cutter, chainsaw, hedge trimmer and extension
2. Stihl FS120
3. Hitachi CG40EFL = Tanaka SUM-500DX with a grass blade and a Husqvarna T35 string head with 3mm Nylium Starline
4. Hitachi CG40EYT = Tanaka TBC-4200DLV with a Oregon mulchblade for forest work, still have to get a circular saw blade for it
5. Hitachi CG22EAS SL =Tanaka TCG22EAS(SL) with brush cutter shaft and chainsaw & extension shaft

I got the hitachi on sale for 1/3 to less than 1/2 of the new price. Great stuff!!! Convinced me to get some Hitachi/Tanaka chainsaws as well while on sale in the same price range!

:D

I had a Honda 25cc straight shaft bycicle gripp trimmer that I sold to a friend who has only one healthy hand. He needed a SUPER EASY start high quality trimmer(fantastic engine quality!). So it was easy for me to let it go.

Trimmers? what kind of girly things are those?
Out here in Oz,we go for the big bad boys- FS550 and 560 monster clearing saws.
Ive run two 550's into the ground,and just got a new 560, in preparation for the impending zombie apocalypse. :)

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

That way I'm still winning with a FS500!

Not often i get to go on the internet and say"mines bigger than yours!"
Only 370 acres of thick scrub to go................

For most folks a 50cc class "trimmer" would be total overkill. Great for cutting small saplings, clearing trails, etc. Not so great for cutting the St. Augustine grass from around the garden beds, driveway, patio, etc.

On Saturday the SRM-280T took down the high grass without complaining, and yesterday I used it for normal homeowner cutting. If it lasts as long as my GT1100 lasted, about 15 years, I'll be happy.

I couldnt imagine anything worse than trying to use the 560 for general garden work. Thing weighs a ton,its like swinging a medieval battleaxe and after an hour of using it,your shoulders ache and you need to rest a bit.
lots of fun though,watching 4 inch thick saplings topple before you, you feel like Kong smashing a swathe through the jungle as the terrified natives watch in awe.
I'm a big fan of the new exhaust system,the older 550's blow a lot of smoke and fumes,but the new stihl filtration seems to work a treat.
For everyday trimming,I use the bigger Honda 4 strokes, not sure why.

My two Stihl FS106 35cc and Shindaiwa t242 24cc.
d616b3d69b8f5036d26814c3b859151d.jpg
3d87601f1d7698579d9c6fbf22296bcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased an ECHO Speed Feed trimmer head for my Stihl FS-250R. It arrived today just a little while ago. Brand-new and ECHO OEM.

Installation was simple and straight-froward. I had to install a different threaded bushing in the ECHO head. It came with a total of four different sized / threaded bushings. Stihl requires the green one.

It's always seems to be a bit of a mystery when it comes to disassembling trimmer heads. Instructions were a bit vague. Anyways, I got the head apart and installed the correct sized bushing. Once you do it, you get a feel for future dis-assemblies.

I purchased the ECHO Speed Feed on E-Bay. It was $29.98 shipped. It arrived within three days of ordering. It's going to be so much easier to re-load line when it's time. No need to remove the head and pull it apart to get to the line spool. You can re-load on the spot if you wish. And, it's made in USA.

http://www.speedfeedhead.com/m/

Echo SRM-2200 here. This thing is over 20 years old and still runs like a champ. Never had any repairs or anything, just good mix in it. The primer bulb rotted out and has never been replaced...doesn't seem to effect the engine which still 4 strokes WOT and idles perfect. It's a bit hard to start but once it fires it runs perfect. Put an EZ wind Shakespeare head on it this year which is really nice. I even run a saw blade on it occasionally for small stuff like willow and plum saplings. Great trimmer, you can't beat an Echo!

20150715_155018.jpg

Latest posts

Back