Trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOod info. Yeah I try to watch as many climbers as possible. You can definatly pick out the bad habits of each. Those are what I watch for alot so I don't duplicate those.

Thanks alot everyone for the info. Very much appreaciated.

treeseer-I did not type anything below the line that says retarded and #1. I do not understand how those words got there. Anyways, in regards to not spiking cottonwoods, they are garbage trees, absolute sh%t. I make it one of my missions to kill them. They are the devil, real hard to make them stay dead after they are a stump.

clearance said:
cottonwoods, they are garbage trees, absolute sh%t. I make it one of my missions to kill them. They are the devil,
We all appreciate your input, though I don't see how it fits on a Commercial Tree CARE forum. :alien:

If you kill a tree and leave it standing, it may fall down on somebody. That somebody's lawyer may sue your grandchildren blind. :cry: Please consider this next time you butcher someone else's asset.

clearance said:
treeseer-I did not type anything below the line that says retarded and #1. I do not understand how those words got there.

Oops, that was me, I edited the wrong post.

Welcome back Guy! Has Tom D. found you yeat, he called for contact info a few days ago.

Treeseer-I really do my best to kill cottonwoods, to the happiness of all but the biggest tree-hugging, do-gooders out there. The only people, and I mean this are I.S.A. arborists that work for a nearby city. "oh, just go up there and take some weight off, deadwood it, try to pretty it up a little" Me "the roots are undermined, its leaning heavily towards that house, were here, lets do it right and nuke it" Can't do that, they would rather waste taxpayers money to have the thing fagged out (term for working on a tree that should be cut down) Everyone else, from homeowners to the utility company see these trees for what they are, a fast growing weed that is best killed young. As far as the killl a tree and leave it standing, when I kill trees they are on the ground. I call b.s. on this idea some of you have that spuring trees kills them. There are fir trees by powerlines that have been climbed every 3-5 years since I was a kid. Still there, green as grass. I have climbed lots of conifers and ground to sky sidelimbed them wearing spurs, I haven't seen one decline yet. Not saying wearing spurs is good for trees, but its good for me, and from what I see no big deal.

Clearance, your comments suggest a lack of climbing skill, that cannot be argued, but what is more troubling is a total lack of respect for trees. You my friend, are also a tree bigot.
You dislike "cottonwoods", but I wonder if you could even identify one. Given a sample from each of these: Populus deltoides, grandidentata, and tremuloides (Cottonwood, Largetooth Aspen, and Quaking Aspen), could you tell the difference? If you could tell the difference, would you know the difference in terms of desirability?
My point will fall on deaf ears with you, because you don't care, that's obvious from your posts. Will you ever be successful in tree care? I can only hope your career choice leads you far from tree care.
Consider finding something that you feel passion about. Only then will your work be satisfying to you. This thing you're doing, working with trees, you do it because that's all you know, or the only work you can get, but you must have some other angle you can work, gad, the trees need the relief from hacks like you and your buddy kid56!

While I may be like minded with Rocky, and share his disposition, I am not him. The regulars here know that, but the rest of the readers may not, so I mentioned it.
Trees are cool, especially "Cottonwoods"!
Think about how they not only grow where other trees can't, they grow huge and beautiful. Ever spent a hot summer day resting under the shade of one of these beauties as the gentle breeze lightly fluttered it's leaves?

Mike- thanks for the insults, the cottonwood I'm refering to is black cottonwood, I think the latin is something like populus negrus. Cottonwoods do grow huge, huge and scary, I have seen them after they damaged houses, ripped down powerlines, beautiful. You are right, I am a tree bigot, I love all conifers, some deciduos and dislike garbage like black cottonwoods. I love it when I cut down a tree that is causing stress to someone who is trying to sleep underneath it. Your condescending and insulting attitude reveall yourself to indeed be a tree-hugging, do-gooder, preservationist. I like my job (primarily line clearance, land clearing) and lump you with the people that drive past us with dirty looks because of what we are doing. People that just can't seem to grasp the concept that to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. The people I work for, employer, utility, customers are happy with me and my work. I make omelettes, do you?

Clearance
You called me a "do-gooder".
Shoot.
Then you said I was a "preservationist".
What will you insult me with next?
That I'm in favor of a sustainable environment?
IDIOT!
Will those few arborist who care, who are left here, please back me up on this?

Treeco-people don't plant cottonwoods beside thier house, they just happen. You should know this. Read my post again and tell me about what sturdy, strong confidence inspiring trees cottonwoods are. You can give it but you can't take it. Mike, why take what I called you as an insult, if it's true don't be ashamed of it. Tree-hugger,do-gooder, preservationist-explain what is wrong with someone who wants to do good, preserve and hug trees?

Those huge scary trees would be like a shrub if you were to place them in the Pacific Northwest, wouldn't they be? Cottonwoods are fine with me, the bigger the better.
You haven't told us yet, can you identify one? I mean before you spike up it and damage it without the clients knowledge.
Honestly, I think not.

Mike Maas said:
Clearance, your comments suggest a lack of climbing skill, that cannot be argued,
Consider finding something that you feel passion about. Only then will your work be satisfying to you.
Mr. Maas, you said the truth here. Reducing weight from branches in a way that's not bad for the tree takes skill in tree care. Clearance talks like a vegetation manager lost on a tree care forum.

Spike damage no big deal? Every hole is a wound that the tree sends resources to close; enough resources wasted and the tree declines. this decline is visible to those who look at trees as something more than an obstruction. Decay in spike holes is tangible to anyone who cares enough to put their finger in one.

Utility arborists can be responsible tree care professionals. For anyone to succeed in that field, they need to respect what they're working with.

This may be the sissy thing to do but I kinda sit on the fence on this issue of "cottonwoods". They are a much hated tree in my area too. Mostly in residential areas. I am not going to say I know all the scientific names or even going to say I understand them. I just know people don't like the huge trees that shed gobs of cotton in the spring that plugs up air conditioners,swimming pools, window screens, and drop sticky green balls on their decks and driveways. These trees also seem to have a pretty evasive root system that seems to effect sewers, building foundations, and concrete driveways and sidewalks. These trees are beautiful, huge, and impressive to everyone, myself included, that does not live near one, or has to experience the mess they make. In my 12 years of line clearance I have not met one homeowner that doesn't regret planting, or at least removing a cottonwood in their yard before it got to big and expensive to do so. I have even heard of entire neighborhoods pitching in to remove a tree at one house, because the owner of the tree couldn't afford its removal. All trees have their own way of making messes and disturbing neighborhoods, but at least around here, the cottonwood seems to top the list. As I said I believe they are an impressive tree, but like most trees, they have their place, in parks, forests, fields, anywhere away from residential neighborhoods.

Mike, Treeseer, Netree, Bradley-check out what Topnotch has to say about your beloved cottonwoods, ha, ha, ha. Treeseer, as far as utility arborists go, the definition of success is keeping the power on. My work doing this is very satisfying to me. That is our job, not to satisfy the tree huggers and other bleeding hearts. Mike said on another post that he got a clearance crew to start spurless climbing after indentifying himself a an i.s.a. arborist. That is funny, if someone came up to us and said "I am an I.S.A. arborist and I have a problem with your work", they would be leaving the work area promptly. Every one from Asplundh to Davey would send them down the road, I have to print this and put it on the wall at work, funny, funny.

Latest posts

Back